August 15th-Assupmtion of the Blessed Virgin

I attended a solemn Missa Cantata this morning, followed by a rosary procession through the neighborhood with the statue of Our Lady of Fatima, while most of the diocese spent the day at the beach.

The noble pre-V2 practice of transferring the celebration of some second and first class feasts to alternate days outside a penitential season like Lent, for instance, or to a weekday when they fell on Sunday, has taken on a new meaning in the modern church with the transferring of the celebration of numerous “formerly Holy days of Obligation” to the following Sunday. God forbid that a Catholic should be bothered by a requirement to be in Church more than once a week … or even worse, two days in a row!!

Is it any wonder that so many modern Catholics are mediocre in their faith?

For some reason, I really doubt widespread mediocre Catholicism is due to the fact that this year, in the United States, the obligation to attend Mass on the feast of the Assumption had been abrogated.

No…but it certainly doesn’t help. What need was there for the obligation to be abrogated? Are we being nuked? Are we trying to conserve gas? Wtf m8?

I don’t know how it is where you live, but in the United States, the celebration of the Assumption was NOT transferred to the following Sunday. It was celebrated today, like it’s always been.

Incorrect. Every diocese get’s to choose.

Here is an except from St. James Roman Catholic "Community::

FEAST OF THE ASSUMPTION:
Bishop Smith has transferred the celebration of the diocesan patronal feast to Sunday, August 16 so that more of the faithful may participate in its celebration.

I guess its not easy to participate in the celebration of the patron of your diocese from the golf course … or maybe some parish community has a Golf mass?

I also attended a Mass for the Assumption today…at the Basillica of the Immaculate Conception. There was an Assumption Mass at our parish also.

It sounds like the Mass and procession you went to were wonderful. Concentrate on that blessing and pray rather than spend time focused on the preceived failings of other diocese.

Thank you for the sage advice, Mrs. Sally.

Well all of that is well and good but we live out on the “left-coast”. Thank the Good Lord for the William Byrd Festval in Portland and the FSSP parish in Seattle. We had a Pontifical Solemn High Mass (1962 Rite) last night(Vigil of the Assumption) and a High Mass in Seattle (FSSP)

It looks like the Diocese of Trenton got an exception from the US norm because the Assumption is its patronal feast. The norm in the US is to celebrate the Assumption on August 15 instead of transferring it (see nccbuscc.org/liturgy/q&a/general/obligation.shtml)

From your profile, I noticed that you live in the Diocese of Syracuse. The example that you gave me was from the Diocese of Trenton. In the Diocese of Syracruse, the Assumption was celebrated on August 15th, and was not transferred. (I found this on your cathedral’s website).

This problem has been brought up in several threads already. One must also consider the priests responsibilities, not just the faithful. If a priest is already doing half a dozen Masses or more on a weekend, then it is a legitimate question to see if more need to be said. I do not know about your parish, but my priest has all of this and a full confession schedule. This feast is not always moved, BTW. It is only abbrogated as an obligation when it falls on a Saturday or Monday.

Why would you need to seek one? Saturday is traditionally dedicated to Our Blessed Mother. At least it used to be.

What you’ll find in many parishes is no guidance in regard to the day being a Holy Day of Obligation and just the single (usual) morning Mass at 8AM.

Yup … same in our parish (and most exclusively Traditional parishes who follow the 1962 calendar). For our priest, its two Masses, one high and one low, plus Confession beforehand. And of course, no eucharistic ministers to help give the 500 folks at Mass Communion.

That is actually a good answer, something which I was looking for. I know for a fact that my priest on Saturdays deals with confessions + Benediction for 2 hours in the morning, then does a 5:30 vigil Mass that evening. Then he has to wake up the next morning for the 8, 9:30, and 11 o’clock Masses, and the 5:00 LifeTeen. And if we do eventually get a 6:30 AM Latin Mass going, it’s not going to make life easier. So it is true, a full schedule can be a reason too, especially when you’re in a diocese which doesn’t necessarily have enough priests.

Ah, such histrionic spreading of misinformation…

I attended a solemn Missa Cantata this morning, followed by a rosary procession through the neighborhood with the statue of Our Lady of Fatima, while most of the diocese spent the day at the beach.

The noble pre-V2 practice of transferring the celebration of some second and first class feasts to alternate days outside a penitential season like Lent, for instance, or to a weekday when they fell on Sunday, has taken on a new meaning in the modern church with the transferring of the celebration of numerous “formerly Holy days of Obligation” to the following Sunday

**1. How do you know most of the diocese was at the beach? Were you there to see and count them all? Why?

1. Why is it “noble” when something happens BEFORE Vatican 2, and less noble when the same thing is done after it?

2. SSPX is NOT in communion with the Church, and therefore is not Catholic, much less “traditional.”**

There is no particular permission or exception for norms, per se - the higher ranking feasts which have a particular devotion from the faithful and fall on a weekday in Ordinary Time may be transferred to a Sunday of Ordinary Time.

This is not a completely new thing - if you look, for example, in the 1961 Codex Rubricarium, Patrons and Titulars, along with I and II Class feast with popular devotion, are explicitly mentioned as feasts which may be solemnized on Sunday.

The only difference between the older and newer observance is that under the old rubrics, the Divine Office (except for things like Vespers with the people) would still be of a Sunday, whereas with the newer, the Office also may be transferred.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.