Augustine did not believe the Real Presence?

A claim was recently made to me that Augustine believed that the Eucharist was only a symbol. This was an apparent allusion to his own writings in which he warned the Church against taking symbols too literally. Also, they said the Church had to deliberately overcome Augustine’s writings when the doctrine of Transubstantiation was formed.

Is this true?

Does anyone know which writings of Augustine are being referenced here?

The Real Presence is so important to me and it would really bother me if someone as important and as early as Augustine contested what I think is one of the most orthodox and early signs of Christ’s Church.

Thanks!

I do not know where that could have come from. Augustine did not disbelieve the nature of the Eucharist.

Maybe this clears it up?

Here are some quotes by Augustine from that article:
The bread which you see on the altar is, sanctified by the word of God, the body of Christ; that chalice, or rather what is contained in the chalice, is, sanctified by the word of God, the blood of Christ. {Sermo 227; on p.377}

Christ bore Himself in His hands, when He offered His body saying: “this is my body.” {Enarr. in Ps. 33 Sermo 1, 10; on p.377}

Nobody eats this flesh without previously adoring it. {Enarr. in Ps. 98, 9; on p.387}

[Referring to the sacrifice of Melchizedek (Gen 14:18 ff.)] The sacrifice appeared for the first time there which is now offered to God by Christians throughout the whole world. {City of God, 16, 22; on p.403}

Christ is both the priest, offering Himself, and Himself the Victim. He willed that the sacramental sign of this should be the daily sacrifice of the Church. {Ibid, 10, 20; on p.99}

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.