AUSTRALIAN RCC & PROTESTANT COVENANT

I’m not quite sure how the “shared sacrament” thing will work but I thought it was an interesting concept:

"…The Catholic Church has signed a new covenant with Protestant Churches which has been described by church leaders as one of the most significant events in Australia’s ecumenical history.

The covenant was signed on Sunday 11 July by National Council of Churches of Australia (NCCA), of which the Catholic Church is a member.

Uniting Church National Assembly President Rev. Dean Drayton told his Standing Committee that such a covenant “would not be possible anywhere else in the world”.

NCCA president Rev Prof James Haire said: "The US is working towards something similar, but that doesn’t include the Catholics.”

The covenant is wide and varied and includes things such as resource sharing, common mission and ministry, common sacrament and shared ordained ministers

cathnews.com/news/407/133.php

The covenant is wide and varied and includes things such as resource sharing, common mission and ministry, common sacrament and shared ordained ministers

I think this should require an approval by the Holy See.

Pio

I would guess that this story left some facts out. The shared sacraments line wasn’t in quotes. I would guess the whole community will be united for liturgy of the hours, meal, work, etc but that the shared sacraments means Catholics will have mass by themselves and all the different types of Protestants will have communion/worship service together. There is no way this would fly otherwise.

Yeah, i think this should be explained in detail so as not to be mislead. It’s just that some of the terms used may be misinterpreted.

Pio

[quote=runnerryan]The shared sacraments line wasn’t in quotes.
[/quote]

:banghead: That was my error in posting - it certainly is included in the story.

Since the article said they have agreed to a "certain level of " understanding I suspect that much of this has yet to be worked out and I can’t quite figure out how yet, as it would seem to me, that a regional group cannot simply start “sharing sacraments” but obviously it is something they are working towards.

Sorry by not in quotes I meant it came from the journalist who wrote the story not directly from one of the nuns who would have explained exactly what the arrangements were going to be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.