Austrian school drops yoga on religious grounds

An Austrian primary school has dropped yoga classes for children after a mother argued that yoga goes against Christian teachings.

Yoga teacher Ingrid Karner says she was told to stop classes at the school in the southeastern village of Dechantskirchen after a complaint “that it’s not allowed, according to the Bible.”

School principal Maria Hofer told the Die Kleine Zeitung newspaper that no parents complained when courses started this year. But she says they were stopped after the unidentified mother said even the word “yoga … had negative effects.”

cruxnow.com/life/2014/10/09/austrian-school-drops-yoga-on-religious-grounds/

Yoga as an exercise has zero to do with religion.

Maybe they were incorporating hindu spirituality into it. :shrug:

I read an article from another source that said there was no spiritual side in that class, that it purely exercise.

Some people overreact.:rolleyes:

What were they teaching in conjunction with the yoga? Were there elements of “spirituality” included? Lacking this, stretching is just… stretching.

Good. Unfortunately, our Parish is offering yoga classes. Complaining seems to be of no avail.

Is your parish offering the class with an element of Hindu spirituality

Good. Unfortunately, our Parish is offering yoga classes. Complaining seems to be of no avail.
Is your parish offering the class with an element of Hindu spirituality
[/quote]

Yes and featuring “New Wave” Music!
You are aware that most of the people promoting this are not knowledgeable in Catholic Spirituality, aren’t you?

New wave or new age?

I am glad that they got rid of Yoga. As a Catholic Answers’ magazine article says, it’s not a good thing to do Yoga, at least in some circumstances:

catholic.com/magazine/articles/the-trouble-with-yoga

We used to have a yoga class at my parish, but they dropped it, I think for the reasons other posters talked about. Some of my parishioners went ahead and opened their own yoga studio. LOL.

I don’t know enough about it to agree or disagree with having yoga at a Catholic church. I don’t see the harm in stretching exercises, but if it is related to Hinduism I can see where it wouldn’t be a good idea to have those classes at a Catholic church.

What does the music have to do with it?

Yoga without Hindu spirituality is like pasta without the noodles.

Kudos to this school for calling a spade a spade.

I know that the Body is connected to the spirit of Man,
and what you do and think about it has a lot to do with
PRAYER, the yielding of the body to the Holy Spirit.
As the Chinese Gov’t realized with the cultic “Kowloon
Fang” use of Tai-Chi like exercises!

Father Jean Marie De Chanet wrote a book that was later translated into English from French.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VKkFx2OyL.jpg

christianspracticingyoga.com/wp/spirituality-of-the-body/father-jean-marie-dechanet/

Indeed, it is an old question as to how Yoga can be practiced with the spiritual element removed.

I think one can find many benefits from Yoga, blood circulation, fights against weak wrists and even carpal tunnel syndrome. I suppose one can go with Pilates but I’m not sure it is as effective.

nursingdegree.net/blog/24/77-surprising-health-benefits-of-yoga/

Thanks for the link for Christian meditation and yoga!

Thanks for the link for Christian meditation and yoga!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.