"Authorities Not Ready to Confirm Body Found is Chelsea King"

This is weird, because I thought it was already confirmed and publicized that her body was found???

I remember that on Tuesday, March 2, a body was found in the afternoon, and it took a couple/few hours before they positively identified the body. By that evening, the body was confirmed to be Chelsea King's and it was publicized.

This article was published Friday, March 5, saying "Authorities Not Ready to Confirm Body Found is Chelsea King": District Attorney Spokesman Paul Levikow said Thursday that any evidence, including the identification of the body, will not be revealed until the preliminary hearing for the man accused of killing her. The hearing is set for March 18.

I don't understand. Hasn't it already been confirmed? Who was it that confirmed it?

ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-poway-missing,0,5645458.story?page=1

They did not confirm it was her body. However, they did find it highly likely to be her body.

The suspect in the Chelsea King murder is also the likely culprit in the slaying of another teenage girl. The authorities are probably being very careful right now not to jeopardize legal proceedings against him.

[quote="Dale_M, post:3, topic:189730"]
The suspect in the Chelsea King murder is also the likely culprit in the slaying of another teenage girl. The authorities are probably being very careful right now not to jeopardize legal proceedings against him.

[/quote]

Amber Dubois is the other girl you are refering to, right?

I don't have much knowledge on these kinds of things, so could you please briefly explain the connection between a confirmed identification of body and the jeopardizing of legal proceedings against a murder/rape suspect? I tried to consider and think about what you wrote, but I don't understand it. Thank you.

Oh, heck, Redwood. I don't have any better understanding that you do. I just know, from past news accounts, that the police and judicial authorities often are very careful about not crossing a legal line which might invalidate their case.

But perhaps someone else has insight to offer?

Thank you, Dale M!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.