Authority of Individual Bishops

I feel like I read somewhere that the bishop of your diocese deserves respect in a similar way to the Pope as far as “religious submission of intellect and will” is concerned, such as for statements he may issue (that is, they are binding in some way). Is that correct?

If YES that is correct, would that respect due to your individual bishop’s statements continue when they are no longer your bishop? Example: a bishop issues statement in 2016. In 2018 he goes to a different diocese. In 2018, does the 2016 statement still have any binding effect on you?

If NO that is not correct, thanks for the clarification

You owe submission to the authority of your ordinary. You have only one ordinary - the current Bishop of your diocese. When he is no longer your ordinary, you do not owe submission to his authority. Your obedience is to the man, not the documents. Whether a document remains binding depends on the type of document. There are many things which remain binding until a future Bishop decides to change it. Liturgical norms, for example. Most “statements” that a Bishop makes are not authoritative in nature and, while you should respect the Bishop’s words and opinions, do not carry any obligation or binding.

[quote=Vatican II, Lumen Gentium]In matters of faith and morals, the bishops speak in the name of Christ and the faithful are to accept their teaching and adhere to it with a religious assent
[/quote]

Just like papal acts are not voided just because there is a new Pope, neither are the acts of bishops. But it likewise depends on the act. Some acts are meant to apply to specific times and circumstances, some are more general, etc.

Do you have something particular in mind?

No, not really. I do appreciate your answer though. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.