Author's journey inside ISIS: They're 'more dangerous than people realize'

ISIS is preparing the largest religious cleansing campaign the world has ever seen

edition.cnn.com/2014/12/22/world/meast/inside-isis-juergen-todenhoefer/

God know how to deal with inhumanity and arrogance; and he will do it.

Linus2nd

And Christendom is too divided, confused and riddled with self doubt to do a darned thing to stop it.

Just like Satan has long planned for things to become.

In just over a century Christendom has gone from ruling the vast majority of the globe to now being a specter that haunts its own self.

Well it’s a good thing then that Christianity isn’t supposed to focus on ruling the world. But please, tell us more about this mythical Christendom (I assume you are somehow under the mistaken impression that Europe= Christendom) which in the course of “ruling the vast majority of the globe” plunged the world into two world wars, a cold war, countless other wars, worldwide slavery, and the exploitation of the “lesser” races as these poor benighted savages were “civilized.”

Christendom = ‘nations that are majority Christian’, thus nations that have the ability to stop genocidal attacks on Christians.

Liberals seem to think we should drop everything and rush to stop genocides of blacks in Africa and of nonChristian minorities anywhere, but somehow it is just so much chauvinism to defend Christian minorities.

You think that there are no majority Christian nations in the world? How bizarre.

The only reason that the wars against Napoleon, the Kaiser and Hitler is because of the rise of secular Jacobinism and leftwing radicalism.

They were certainly not the fault of Christianity or Christendom. Christendom only fought to defend itself from the wackos that would have slaughtered millions of Christians more than did get slaughtered under Hitler, Stalin, Ataturk, Napoleon, Robespierre and Marat.

This journalist was brave to even get close enough to interview these people. The word “transgressions” jumped out at me.
ISIS has committed many transgressions and plan to do many more.

Christendom = ‘nations that are majority Christian’, thus nations that have the ability to stop genocidal attacks on Christians.
I’m pretty sure that the term means more than just the majority of the people claim to be Christian. If we go with your definition, we have Christiandom being the world’s most immoral social group ever (abortion, both world wars, slave trade, etc)
Liberals seem to think we should drop everything and rush to stop genocides of blacks in Africa and of nonChristian minorities anywhere, but somehow it is just so much chauvinism to defend Christian minorities.
Ah, so you think those “blacks in Africa” don’t happen to have Christians among their numbers. But please, tell us more about how Christians aren’t supposed to actually care about everybody or that we are supposed to let what political liberals do dictate how we act.

You think that there are no majority Christian nations in the world? How bizarre.
No, I just think it’s rather simplistic to define “Christiandom” by the size of a Christian populace in a country. It’s also rather counterproductive given the history of those countries that have a Christian majority.

The only reason that the wars against Napoleon, the Kaiser and Hitler is because of the rise of secular Jacobinism and leftwing radicalism.
First, thanks for an unproven assumption; second, given your simplistic definition of “Christiandom” it doesn’t actually matter.

They were certainly not the fault of Christianity or Christendom. Christendom only fought to defend itself from the wackos that would have slaughtered millions of Christians more than did get slaughtered under Hitler, Stalin, Ataturk, Napoleon, Robespierre and Marat.
Gee, that sounds rather similar to how ISIS tries to justify its actions. “It’s not our fault, we aren’t the bad guys, we’re just defending ourselves.”

Yes, this is true ever since we let the secularists take over the reigns of power in the West.

Of course there are Christians among the black population, where did I say that there wasn’t? It is not something that liberals bother themselves with is the point. They will rend their garments and lay in ash for months if blacks get slaughtered, but not if you bring up any reference to them being Christian if they are. Then the libs get this ‘then they must have deserved it for annoying their pagan neighbors’ tack.

It is what it is. Those nations with Christian majorities tend to be so in super majorities, like it or not.

For example, I would not include the Czech Republic, but would most certainly include Spain or Italy.

First, there is no unproven assumption that is relevant unless you specify which assumption you refer to. Challenge it or don’t, but a vague reference does not aid communication. Secondly, it most certainly does matter as it does with almost any other set of religious nations on the planet from Judaism to Muslim to Hindu.

That you think ISIS is claiming to only be defending themselves shows you really are not familiar with that subject. They not only make no such pretense, they openly boast of their goals to slaughter Christians and Shia.

And your attempt to derail this thread is not going to work. We as Christian majorities in democratic nations have every right to demand that our governments protect these people for whatever reason we want, and defending Christians around the globe sounds pretty darned good to me.

:smiley:

Well, Im not so sure on that, Id like to believe thats true, but look back at recent history…when 9-11 happened, Im sure LOTS of people started praying, last time I checked that terrorist group is still around and has been gaining ground in many areas, it helped spawn ISIS as well.

Look at WW2 and ALL the people killed by Hitler, this was going on as Im sure many many people were praying…??

The BIG one, abortion, look at how many babies have been killed off due to this since its been legal…and Im positive 100s of 1000s if not more people have been praying for an end to this, for decades…yet abortion remains legal in most areas, the killing just keeps on going…?? God has yet to even send a sign to those controlling or involved in it… dont understand this at all.

There was a clergyman from there on tv, I recorded it. He seemed to say the decline in Christians started in Iraq under Saddam. I have to listen to it again and see what he said.

That’s a good question. Actually, with respect to abortion, the number has been in the millions. It is worth noting that in the Old Testament God wasn’t always quick to respond. Look at the breakdown of the kingdom of Israel and the subsequent Jewish exile. Look at how long it took for God to send the messiah. One of the things that scripture should teach us is that God’s ways are not our ways and God’s “time” is most certainly not our time.

Even with the examples you have given, I think it’s fair to say a fair amount of progress has been made. How much worse would WII have been if German’s had been less aggressive and more conservative in their gains? The third Reich might still be around if they hadn’t bit off more than they could true. With respect to Al Quaeda: while it’s true that they still exist they have failed to pull off another major terrorist attack in the US, Bin Laden is dead, and they’ve been expelled from some of their former strongholds. Even abortion has some positive signs. As a Canadian, I am in awe at the progress that the pro-life movement has made over the past few years. At the time Roe vs Wade happened, pundits predicted that almost no one would be pro-life. To the contrary, more people are now pro-life in the states then in years. It’s slow, rough going, but it is going.

How much of that is due to prayer? I don’t know. All of it? None of it? But I think it’s difficult to see this side of death what our prayers may or may not have done.

You are not taking the Eternal Perspective that God has. These babies are now with Him, in His divine presence instead of growing up in a heathen society.

Perhaps they are the lucky ones?

Death is not the final answer, but only a transition to the life form we were created for.

The decline of Christians, and all other non-Islamic faiths, in the Middle East started with the Islamic society becoming the dominate force in the region due to the second class status of non-Muslims inbuilt into Islamic teachings and society.

They’re more dangerous than people realize???

Are people really that ignorant that they don’t know what ISIS is?

But maybe they are. After all, Obama either didn’t realize what Al Quaeda and its offshoots could be like, or did know and didn’t care when he abandoned Iraq to the Sunni islamist/Iranian contest we’re now seeing.

Well to be fair, a lot of people didn’t think the Nazis were that dangerous until after they invaded Poland. Some people just want to live in a world as viewed through their rose colored glasses.

Read “In the Garden of Beasts”. The diplomats for the US, UK and France all saw the danger of the Nazis very early. They couldn’t convince their governments to act for various reasons. Diplomat Dodd has problems as he was an ‘outsider’ in diplomatic circles and spent some (probably, too much) energy fighting the good ol’ boys club. Furthermore, the US government was interested in pushing the German government in repaying loans to American banks and there was the Depression.

It’s an interesting look at how evil comes to power.

The conclusions of the embedded journalist with the terrorists {Jürgen Todenhöfer} do not seem soundly based. The degree of danger is fairly well understood. Even the UN has acknowledged 2000 killed by ISIS in the last 6 months. The threat is understood…its the will to remove it being the biggest problem.

But I am a bit suspicious how this journalist escaped with his head intact. It’s not as if he was dealing with a military or men/women of any sort of honor in the least.

The pentagon surely briefed President Obama about the threat and the most efficient counter for it. Yet, it’s been apparent for some time that Obama gravitates towards the drone and air strikes. There has been presumption it may offer him a sense of removal from the violence? As if he can keep the legacy clear of the Obama war? :shrug:
Regardless, he wants the locals fighting on the ground. Which isn’t the most prudent decision since ISIS was mostly empowered by the lack of military/policing abilities of these same locals.

Saying all that, I wouldn’t doubt Obama may have ordered preparation of a single operation w/ US forces (possibly other Western forces as well) against ISIS. There’s some indication of this at least.

There are ample military planners who can successfully remove quite a few of these terrorists and push the remaining back to Syria. But those remaining terrorists in Syria will be left for the next administration to deal with, or not.

As world military forces go, ISIS is a weak one that could be crushed by a truly concerted effort by a first class military. In condemning Bush, Obama promised to get the U.S. out of Iraq and did so against the advice of just about everybody worth listening to, and against the pleas of the Sunni, the Shia and the Kurds. The politics of it was everything.

ISIS or something like it was totally foreseeable, as was the ultimate outcome if nobody does anything; a regional Sunni Islamist/Iranian war for control of the region.

I did see, however, where Obama is employing military contractors (mecenaries) in the efforts against ISIS on an increasing basis. So, perhaps another Obama deception is in the offing; a war that’s technically not a “war” because our own military forces are not in direct ground combat other than to save their own lives now and then, while increasing numbers of former American soldiers are being paid to fight as mercenaries.

Oh well. “Fundamentally changing America” is what Obama said he is all about. And, pursuant to the “Gruber principle”, Americans bought into it.

euronews.com/2014/12/23/over-10-children-killed-in-latest-syria-violence/

Some footage of bombings in Syria above, the article is by Reuters. It is amazing that one can actually see the bomb go into the neighborhood. I don’t think the violence here is graphic in a way to warrant a disclaimer, you know, tasteless but there definitely are some pictures of the bombings in Damascus. At 6 seconds in the video, one can actually see the bomb drop.

At least 10 children have been killed in Syria after government airstrikes hit two schools in separate incidents today.

Seven of the dead were from Idlib province, where military planes dropped barrel bombs on their school.

Another school in the Douma neighbourhood of Damascus was also hit, killing three children and at least two others.

So in this case, I take it, government airstrikes must mean the Syrian government itself though in a warzone, one can not always be sure of the reporting. Still, this video shows capability from the air.

Islamic State also killed 120 of its own members, most of them foreign fighters trying to return home, in the last two months, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

reuters.com/article/2014/12/28/us-mideast-crisis-casualties-idUSKBN0K60EK20141228

Killing one’s own members if they want to return home. Also, I’ve heard some estimates as to where most of these fighters are from but I have not seen confirmation of this.

Islamic State executed nearly 2,000 people in six months: monitor

From everything we hear, I’d almost expect this number to be higher.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.