Autopsy analysis: Official autopsy shows Michael Brown had close-range wound to his hand, marijuana in system

stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_e98a4ce0-c284-57c9-9882-3fb7df75fef6.html#.VEcXQFLUqWk.twitter

Al Sharpton and friends may need to find another cause to protest.

While the death of a young man is still tragic, if you assault a police officer and attempt to take his weapon, you run a high probability of getting shot, no matter what your race. Eyewitness accounts given by the accomplice in a recent robbery have less credibility than forensic evidence that finds tissue from the hand of the victim on the gun and inside the police car.

What justifies Wilson shooting an unarmed Brown dead from a distance while Brown’s hands were raised?

Read the news articles: The wound was inflicted at close range. “The detail could lend credence to Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson’s account that he and the unarmed African-American teenager scuffled at his patrol car before Brown was shot and killed.”

The fact that he was almost a foot taller and nearly 300 lbs kind of puts “unarmed” off the table. The fact that he was grabbing for Officer Wilson’s weapon is more justification - he was close enough to be an immediate, deadly threat, and was acting in a way that presented just such a threat. Finally, the autopsy reports show that his hands were NOT raised. That fiction can stop right now.

If Mr. Brown had been white, there would never have been an issue. But just because he’s black, we have had over two months solid of protests and unrest, and my city is currently holding its breath, afraid of what is going to happen next. I thought civil rights was about equality, not vengeance.

According to the autopsy, Brown’s hands were not raised. It is also clear from the report that Brown tried to get the officer’s gun and was shot in the hand while doing so.

Read the report.

Peace

Tim

Brown wasn’t killed anywhere near the patrol vehicle. My question remains unanswered.

Have you read the report?

Peace

Tim

At this point, it’s like trying to unring a bell.

You’re right in that Michael Brown’s being black has precipitated protests and unrest. However, might this reaction not be because of the way police have treated Blacks in Ferguson in the past? Protests aside, however, justice should be served in this, as in all, cases, and if the police officer is found on the basis of the evidence to be not guilty, he should be exonerated.

This is from CNN article, October 22, 2014 (sorry, I don’t know how to post links! :o):

"Brown’s blood was found on the officer’s uniform and inside his police car, law enforcement sources told CNN this week. Those sources corroborated details first reported by The New York Times.

At least one of the wounds Brown suffered is consistent with a struggle and appeared to have been inflicted at close range, according to a different source with first-hand knowledge of the investigation.

“That tends to support any testimony that there was some kind of scuffle in the police car,” CNN legal analyst Danny Cevallos said. “And if so, that tends to support Officer Wilson’s testimony and his justification for using deadly force.”"

However, consider the sources: one is law enforcement itself and the other is a “different source with first-hand knowledge of the investigation.” Is the latter source even named? One may conceivably question the validity of such sources.

The argument is not whether to canonize Mr Brown or not. The truth is this whole matter is too wrapped up people’s points of view to be universally resolved anytime soon, if ever. There are almost certainly a good number of generally decent people wrapped up in this. I’ve been privileged to get to know a school superintendent who was wrapped up in a similar circus over a few black students who were expelled. The whole event was very traumatic for him and a real test of his faith. In the end really only one of these students managed to make something of himself, the rest ended up leading less than respectable lives.

Here’s the thing though, how “clean” these people are (in both cases) is a diversionary argument to the real problem here. Minorities in this country, especially our black brothers and sisters, still face persistent racism in this country. True, the obvious bigotry of generations past, that most white folk in this country understand to be racism, has declined substantially. But the statistical inequity, the unequal treatment by police, the suspicious glances, and the negative stereotypes are STILL very real. That is what the black community is upset about. I urge you to find out how you can improve this situation over tit for tat arguments on the race conflict du jour.

Well, a source for the statement that at least one of the wounds Brown suffered is consistent with a struggle and appeared to have been inflicted at close range is now the autopsy.

Peace

Tim

That source is the pathologist who interprets the autopsy. Assuming this physician has no vested interest in the case one way or the other, how accurate is the interpretation based on the skills of the physician and the evidence provided in the autopsy? Have any other pathologists confirmed the findings or the probability of being able to determine these findings?

Two pathologists who were not involved with the autopsy gave that interpretation - Dr. Michael Graham, St. Louis Medical Examiner and Dr. Judy Melinek, forensic pathologist from San Francisco.

Peace

Tim

Wow, this is really well thought out. Its profound for you to say that this is not about how ‘clean’ these people (Mr. Brown and the officer). I see, and I"m sure majority of folks , see and understand this is about the wounds of bigotry. What I don’t understand is this: why can’t the black community see that this is not about the officer or this event at all? But rather about deep seated fear of being always treated unfairly? Why do some choose to then riot… which makes the problem worse. ? The fear in that case has become anger, and not a good righteous kind of anger. Not one of those business destroyed and/or looted were guilty, and not even if a judge orders the officer who shot Brown to be executed would any of this be solved. To me, IF ANYTHING… the officer made a bad move. Why is this different from the way, say, when a doctor makes a bad move and does the wrong thing, resulting in death? It happens… why should people seek revenge over mistakes? I don’t think anyone is finding any blatant racism in the officer’s background (the one who shot Brown). ** They should let it rest then. **

Thanks!

Please don’t think I’m trying to jump on you here, but I think what I take to be your honest attempt to understand captures the frustration of those affected by racism in this country.

No rioting and destroying your own community makes no real sense. The thing is the white community really only pays attention when things like this blow up. What we miss is the day to day frustrations that are plainly obvious to those affected.

I’m sure all of us have irrationally blown up over something in our lives. I’m sure the last thing any of us wanted to hear was that our cause would be valid if only we reacted this or that way more logically. This is especially true when talking about a situation where we have little real power.

One of the best things any of us can do (who are in the majority and/or have more of the real power in society) is to understand the idea of privilege. What we in the white community can do is to understand what WE can do to resist the personal and societal forces that feed this sub-surface racism that tears apart OUR community. Figuring out why the other “guy” did something wrong or illogically will never solve these problems in the end. The reality is those of us with the societal privilege in this situation are the ones who need to do the most.

Stop right there. Take two children - one black and one white - from equal economic backgrounds. Given equal athletic and scholastic performance, which one will colleges be bending over backward to enroll so they can show how “diverse” they are? Which one will have scholarships available based on nothing more than the color of their skin? Which one will have any behavioral, attitude, or misogynistic problems dismissed as being part of his “culture”?

Equality is a level playing field. Slavery ended over 150 years ago. Not all that many people alive today can still even remember ever seeing a “Whites only” sign in use. But if one is out looking for racism, basing everything on the creed that it exists and you are its target, then one will find it everywhere.

When will we see the end of “white privilege”? When the “black community” stops using it as an excuse.

What stats do you need to show that, as a percentage of the population, it is harder to find that black child as it is to find that white one?

I’m not a big fan of Hip Hop culture. But which negative image of the white community are we going to use for a stereotype?

I agree there, just not your assumption that every one gets it.

Subscribing to the delusion that this country (while offing some wonderful opportunities) offers everyone a fair shake will only force you to find blame in others until (God forbid) you are the one it no longer works for. Slavery was replaced by share cropping and Jim Crow for 100 years. Fortunately bigotry is no longer socially or legally acceptable, but that’s not all racism ever was or could be.

The best benefit of privilege is that you can pretend it does not exist.

What I bolded in your statement there… I whole heartedly agree!!! No offense taken because I understand where you are coming from.

To make what I was trying to say in my last post more clear, I just want to say that my question was rhetorical, as in “Why don’t they see that this violence will not help?” I do understand where they are coming from and yes, I agree that I am guilty of the same types of actions… Heck, I even know of a few posts I made here that could fall under that very same accusation. The situation is a bit different but essentially the same- the frustration of those in power, those in charge, those that have the societal privilege are the ones that need to do the most. Its frustrating to be the one who is in need and whose need is never addressed by those who can change it.

My beef is this though-  this is not about Mr. Brown.   This was just the catalyst situation to make the pain erupt.   So I don't feel that the communities hurt and concern will be addressed unless they find another outlet, less violent, but none the less something to get the attention they need.  Hard as it is, this Brown vs. cop thing needs to be let go.   This isn't the battle to fight.   Not here and not in this way.   Its un-winable because this obviously, to me, was an accident of poor choices- on BOTH parties.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.