Ave Maria University questions

I’m not entirely certain that this is the best place for this question, so please feel free to move it - Moderators - if it belongs somewhere else… Of course, as this is loosely connected to my own vocation, perhaps it’ll work.

I am considering pursuing an MA in Theology starting next fall and thus need to begin the application process for graduate schools. Ave Maria was a school that came up as a strong candidate and was recommended to me by a friend. I’m looking for an orthodox Catholic institution from which I can get a degree that will prepare me for a vocation in catechesis. However, studying my options has led me to read a host of articles surrounding various controversies at Ave Maria. Can anyone provide something of an objective rendering of what happened there? Should I even consider it? And what schools would this community recommend that might be in line with my expressed desires?

I appreciate any help, and God bless!

I've only heard good stuff, but you can never be sure... I just hope there's nothing 'bad' because I would like to go there sometime too. Hopefully!:)

Marie

[quote="Son_of_Jonah, post:1, topic:291641"]
I'm not entirely certain that this is the best place for this question, so please feel free to move it - Moderators - if it belongs somewhere else... Of course, as this is loosely connected to my own vocation, perhaps it'll work.

I am considering pursuing an MA in Theology starting next fall and thus need to begin the application process for graduate schools. Ave Maria was a school that came up as a strong candidate and was recommended to me by a friend. I'm looking for an orthodox Catholic institution from which I can get a degree that will prepare me for a vocation in catechesis. However, studying my options has led me to read a host of articles surrounding various controversies at Ave Maria. Can anyone provide something of an objective rendering of what happened there? Should I even consider it? And what schools would this community recommend that might be in line with my expressed desires?

I appreciate any help, and God bless!

[/quote]

First of all, I can think of no better place to get a Masters In Theology. The teachers are the highest caliber, the campus beautiful, the students and faculty and administration are passionate.

The controversy seems to center on 1) its unwavering orthodoxy, and 2) the overwheming effort that went into creating this new beautiful campus and town and closing down the old college in Michigan.

I have read in a number of magazines now, that it is one of the highest rated Catholic Universities even though it is very new.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the responses! This has given me a great deal to consider... I have by no means rejected Ave Maria as a possibility outright, just wanting to have all possible information before I make my decision.

On that note, has anyone heard of The Augustine Institute in Minnesota? If so, thoughts on the school?

I attend AMU and I will be a a junior in the fall. It is a very good Catholic institution!!!

What are the controversies you are hearing about? I tend to be oblivious to many things that occur right under my nose…but I’ve probably heard about them and might be able to shed some light on them. In any case, controversies or not, no one can say anything bad about Ave Maria’s academics. On a purely academic note, AMU is a GREAT choice for grad school, and there are so many spiritual opportunities as well, so by all means, do continue to consider it for continuing your education! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.