Avoid super-Catholic syndrome

this from Catholic Exchange today
woman.catholicexchange.com/2009/12/14/2608/

it could be called "Avoid super-Mom syndrome at Christmas time"

my gift to you, reminder from Grandma, don't let perfectionism ruin Christmas for you or take away the joy

do only those preparations and activities which nurture you and your family, which provide shared time together, which you enjoy and anticipate, and most of all which feed your faith and deepen appreciation of the reality of the Christmas event--Christ comes, to us, to our family.

Thanks Annie. I feel much better about my half decorated tree sitting behind me!

also don't make excuses for stuff like that--let people think it is the latest fad in decorating

our family is famous for procrastination, so my mom would just say, well we won't decorate until Christmas eve, and the lights will stay up until Candlemas, Feb. 2, because that is the real end of the season. Although in fact I believe the lights stayed up year round for at least 10 years before they sold that house.

Thanks Puzzleannie. I don't have all my decorations up and all my shopping isn't done yet, but hey, I aint gona sweat it ! Christmas isn't really supposed to be about decorations and expensive gifts anyway. Long as everyone is together and we have a warm home, plenty to eat, and can enjoy the warmth of just being together, that is what is most important. Spending time with those you love.

My mother passed away after a long battle with pancreas cancer a week before Thanksgiving and it's been really difficult to get into the spirit of Christmas, but having my husband and daughters and son to help has been the greatest blessing. Mother and I always went shopping a week before Christmas and then again on Christmas Eve to pick up those last few items every year for the last 21 years. This year my husband's mother and my oldest daughters are doing this together with me. What I think is great is passing on the old traditions...I always shopped with Mother, now my girls are old enough (20 and 19 year old twins) to carry on this tradition with me. I hope that 20 years down the road we will still be enjoying this Christmas tradition. And it isn't about the gifts so much as the time spent together. Of course tomorrow we are going to build our yearly gingerbread house, so "Santa" can eat it and gain another 10 pounds on her already heafty behind ! :D Another tradition we have that my grandmother passed on (and was passed to her before us) is that on Christmas morning (after midnight Mass when my grandmother was a child) the youngest child would get to place the baby Jesus in his manger. The older children would all process behind with a small candle and sing Away in a Manger. My grandmother married a Baptist and raised my mother Baptist and we were raised Baptist, but Grandma still carried on many of the traditions of her childhood and passed them to us. And I have continued doing this with my own children, and after my husband and I joined the Church, it meant even more to us. I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed Christmas season. God bless.

In Christ,
Betsy

And especially as a full-blooded Italian American, any relative of mine would be quickly cut from the will or worse if they dared to use tomato sauce from a jar.

:rotfl::clapping: So funny....because i often cheat. :whistle:

[quote="betsy_suzanne, post:4, topic:180035"]
Thanks Puzzleannie. I don't have all my decorations up and all my shopping isn't done yet, but hey, I aint gona sweat it ! Christmas isn't really supposed to be about decorations and expensive gifts anyway. Long as everyone is together and we have a warm home, plenty to eat, and can enjoy the warmth of just being together, that is what is most important. Spending time with those you love.

My mother passed away after a long battle with pancreas cancer a week before Thanksgiving and it's been really difficult to get into the spirit of Christmas, but having my husband and daughters and son to help has been the greatest blessing. Mother and I always went shopping a week before Christmas and then again on Christmas Eve to pick up those last few items every year for the last 21 years. This year my husband's mother and my oldest daughters are doing this together with me. What I think is great is passing on the old traditions...I always shopped with Mother, now my girls are old enough (20 and 19 year old twins) to carry on this tradition with me. I hope that 20 years down the road we will still be enjoying this Christmas tradition. And it isn't about the gifts so much as the time spent together. Of course tomorrow we are going to build our yearly gingerbread house, so "Santa" can eat it and gain another 10 pounds on her already heafty behind ! :D Another tradition we have that my grandmother passed on (and was passed to her before us) is that on Christmas morning (after midnight Mass when my grandmother was a child) the youngest child would get to place the baby Jesus in his manger. The older children would all process behind with a small candle and sing Away in a Manger. My grandmother married a Baptist and raised my mother Baptist and we were raised Baptist, but Grandma still carried on many of the traditions of her childhood and passed them to us. And I have continued doing this with my own children, and after my husband and I joined the Church, it meant even more to us. I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed Christmas season. God bless.

In Christ,
Betsy

[/quote]

So sorry about your Mom. Prayers.

I remind my mom and husband that the Christmas season doesn't officially begin until the 25th which means they can stop pestering about the Christmas cards. My mom still says if they don't get there by Christmas day, forget about sending them at all :( One day, my mom will understand that I'm trying to get back to putting Christ first, not secular Christmas expectations first. Oh well. :shrug:

[quote="puzzleannie, post:1, topic:180035"]
this from Catholic Exchange today
woman.catholicexchange.com/2009/12/14/2608/

it could be called "Avoid super-Mom syndrome at Christmas time"

my gift to you, reminder from Grandma, don't let perfectionism ruin Christmas for you or take away the joy

do only those preparations and activities which nurture you and your family, which provide shared time together, which you enjoy and anticipate, and most of all which feed your faith and deepen appreciation of the reality of the Christmas event--Christ comes, to us, to our family.

[/quote]

Nice article.

But now I feel I must rush out to buy little swiss rolls to decorate into those yule logs mentioned in the article that were popular with kids. I also want to find a smiley with a super-hero cape.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.