Avoiding the very appearence of evil

Does this mean that being goth and catholic are really mutally exclusive. My brother in a high hat can never cease to tell me this and many other biblical passages chatises me for anything dark…
I’m not so sure now…

[quote=Valtiel]Does this mean that being goth and catholic are really mutally exclusive. My brother in a high hat can never cease to tell me this and many other biblical passages chatises me for anything dark…
I’m not so sure now…
[/quote]

I wonder if there are biblical passages warning people of wearing high hats? :wink:

Well, you might look at what appeals to you about being “goth”, your underlying attraction to it. If you want to be Catholic goth, you could try meditating on the sorrowful mysteries of the rosary. They are pretty dark, but meaningful.

Christ is the light of the world and Lucifer is the prince of darkness.

If you were an avid Gamecocks football fan, would you wear a Tennessee Vols tee shirt?

When you possess the light of the world, you shouldn’t cover it with a basket.

Would Jesus go goth?

[quote=DavidFilmer]Would Jesus go goth?
[/quote]

Have you got an answer for that? It doesn’t sound like the kind of question which the apostles would have been careful to preserve an answer to, even if Jesus did mention it sometime.

Basically there are 2 types of decisions we get - those where there is right and wrong, in which case, if we want to do God’s will, we’ve got to do the right thing - and those where there is no right and wrong, just a matter of taste, in which case it’s up to us. For eg, check out the ‘This or That’ thread in the water cooler. God invented the second type of decision to make life more interesting for us. By all means be goth, so far as it only involves choices which are matters of taste and not right or wrong. I’m not 100%sure what goth is… but here’s some examples. Dressing in black, painting your face white and your nails black is fine, it’s a matter of taste. Participating in Satanic rituals is not ok, it’s a matter of right and wrong.

Ah and I second the idea about meditating on the sorrowful mysteries.

gothicchristianity.com/01gchome.html

it depends. If someone affects a goth appearance in dress and bodily adornment, is that done for the purpose of presenting an appearance of evil? Is it simply done for purposes of conforming to the norms of a peer group, or for professional reasons i.e. member of a band or employee of a club where this appearance is a draw. Is it done as an act of rebellion against those to whom one owes obedience? Is it done in order to communicate to others one’s image of oneself and to pretend an attachment to evil which does not in fact exist? Does this affectation indicate a real attachment to evil and things of darkness, or a conviction that one is an evil person, or that the world and others in it are evil?

Does it indicate a rejection of the possibility of good in the world or in others? Does it indicate a preoccupation with evil thoughts, music, words and actions? There is a line in the baptismal promise in which we reject “the glamour of evil” that is, the attraction that evil has which can delude us into thinking we are somehow more powerful, more knowledgeable, more attractive than stupid “good” people.

[quote=Flopfoot]Have you got an answer for that? It doesn’t sound like the kind of question which the apostles would have been careful to preserve an answer to, even if Jesus did mention it sometime.

Basically there are 2 types of decisions we get - those where there is right and wrong, in which case, if we want to do God’s will, we’ve got to do the right thing - and those where there is no right and wrong, just a matter of taste, in which case it’s up to us. For eg, check out the ‘This or That’ thread in the water cooler. God invented the second type of decision to make life more interesting for us. By all means be goth, so far as it only involves choices which are matters of taste and not right or wrong. I’m not 100%sure what goth is… but here’s some examples. Dressing in black, painting your face white and your nails black is fine, it’s a matter of taste. Participating in Satanic rituals is not ok, it’s a matter of right and wrong.

Ah and I second the idea about meditating on the sorrowful mysteries.
[/quote]

Painting the face white???
Wearing nail polish???
Um I’m not sure but that seems a little too effiminate for me…

Sorry - that’s just what I know that some goths do. I’ve got no idea how you live out the goth lifestyle. Maybe I shouldn’t contribute to this thread anymore (-:

[quote=Valtiel]Does this mean that being goth and catholic are really mutally exclusive. My brother in a high hat can never cease to tell me this and many other biblical passages chatises me for anything dark…
I’m not so sure now…
[/quote]

From past threads I know that you have been having trouble with your brother. He seems to have a problem with being overly critical. Is he like this with everyone or just you? Some people just like to argue. Is this possible with him?

Even though it is difficult, try not to argue with him. I doubt that you can reason him out of his opinion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.