Awesome oatmeal recipe

Just thought I’d share this awesome recipe, I got it online but made some modifications. It’s like the Quaker oatmeal packets but not as excessively sweet. And the dried apples I use are so much bigger and softer than what you get in the packets!

4 cups oats
1 cup skim milk powder
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup dried fruit (apple, raisins, whatever or a combo) and/or almonds, walnuts

I put them all together in a tupperware and shake it to mix. Then for 1 cup of mix add 2/3 cup boiling water, less or more for desired consistency.

I’m also thinking of substituting 1 cup of oats for 1 cup of quinoa next time, since I have been hearing a lot of good things about that. What a dork I am, I’m sampling oatmeal mix at 11:30pm! FH has got to get a better paying job so I can start my next career as SAHM and domestic diva :o :smiley: Hope someone else also enjoys this mix.

Thanks for the oatmeal recipe. You are right about the quinoa too.
Kathy

Wow, I’m going to have to try this! Do you have any idea how many boxes of those oatmeal packets we go through in this house?! It is EXPENSIVE! :eek: And I’ve been trying to figure out something else to eat for breakfast because it does have a lot of sugar in it (and I don’t care for the weight control stuff, which they don’t have in Raisin’s n Spice anyway ).

I’ll have to try this. I’d bet it would be cheaper since your making it in bulk. :thumbsup:

You can make your oatmeal in a crock-pot so it is ready first thing in the morning. I personally like the weight control instant packets (actually, they are the only ones I do like) but if I am going to have oatmeal (rarely now because of gluten sensitivity and oats are not recommended) I prefer Old Fashioned, the kind that takes 5 minutes from boil to cook plus an additional 5 mins. of sitting - I can make this right when I get up. go get dressed and it is ready to eat but I only have to get me going now so I have more time in the mornings.

I would put however many servings you need for the morning in your crock-pot with the other dry ingredients like spices (cinnamon -good with anything except peaches, ginger,-really good with peaches etc.) then right before bed add your fruit (raisins, craisins, other finely chopped dried fruit or fresh chopped apples or peaches) and liquid. If you want to make it higher in protein beat an egg in the liquid for every serving or two you are making and add to the crock. Plug in, turn on low and serve in the morning with milk on top! Or if you didn’t put eggs in, add a couple of nuts (walnuts, almonds) to give it a little more oomph and really make it stick to your ribs. If you have a cholesterol problem and need to avoid eggs, use only one whole egg for every three servings and three extra whites - make sure you have thouroughly beaten that egg in your liquid or you will end up with egg chunks in your oatmeal (gross!)

Another great breakfast food is rice! Just cook a lot, pull from fridge and put in bowls with sugar, cinnamon and raisins. Mmmm, mmmm, good. Experiment around with different kinds of rice, Jasmine or Basmati will give you a sweeter rice to start with, long grain either brown or white will be less sticky, the short grain will be sticky (my preference!)

Great recipe Lil_m :D.

Brenda V.

I never thought of making oatmeal in the slow cooker- and I got a big fancy programmable one for my shower :smiley: Have to remember that in 10 years when I have my brood.

You do need to make a lot in most regular sized crock-pots so you need a brood - cold oatmeal is just gross to me and it doesn’t re-heat at all:bigyikes:.

I personally have four different sizes of crock-pots - I have a really big one I usually use only for pot-lucks and a really small one that only has one temperature and no on-off switch but I can make swiss steak for two in it.

Brenda V.

They are expensive! Especially the “healthy” packet (less sugar, more fruit/nuts).

Should I use quick oats or the regular kind?

If you are making our OP’s wonderful mix I would use the quick kind (but of course she knows which one she actually used), if you are going to experiment with it in the crock-pot most definitely regular (or long cooking).

Brenda V.

I like ‘steel oats’. I make a big batch, it takes 30-40 min of cooking, and then refrig. it. I take out as much as I need for breakfast and add milk stir and microwave.

With regard to “quick oats” that’s what I used in this particular instance. Maybe I’m crazy, but I really don’t notice much of a difference whether I use those ones or the regular baking oats. So that’s why I didn’t specify.

I made a batch for my dad and took it in, he seemed to enjoy it :slight_smile:

I wonder if the steel cut oats would be better later. I find any other oatmeal as a leftover to be quite gross but then again I am very texture sensitive when it comes to foods - I could never tolerate Malt-O-Meal as it is too gritty for me, the same with grits (sorry all you southern US folks) yet I really like cornbread!

Brenda V.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.