Awkward adoration moment

(sorry if this is in the wrong place)

So, today at adoration, I was looking at some of the stuff they had to read there and i saw a king james version of the bible. Knowing that the king james version isn't a Catholic approved bible, I was feeling like i should write something on one of the blank pages in the front about how it wasn't the whole truth, but then again it isn't my thing to write in.

So, what should i had done?

I would ask the pastor. He should take care of it. :thumbsup:

I have sometimes found questionable tracts, prayer cards, etc. in the pews at Mass. I’m sure most of them are left by well-meaning people and even many times by other Catholics. Some of them I’m sure are left by non-Catholics (probably the same ones who leaflet our cars with anti-Catholic nonsense now and then.) Sometimes I will see ushers taking them out of the pews as they straighten out hymnals, etc. after Mass.

I would take it to the Lost and Found.

Knowing what readings were coming up at Mass one week, I wanted to bring my New King James to follow along because the acoustics in my church are terrible. Really terrible! It is obviously not the Catholic Bible but it is a good chunk of it. It might be that it was left there by someone like me, who, wanting to join the Catholic Church, but has no money to buy another Bible, wants to do what can be done meanwhile. It's not like it's completely different, just not complete as you mentioned. Not unlike the book I carry when traveling; just the Psalms and the Gospels. Incomplete, but then, so am I without any of it at all.
Just a thought. I mean no disrespect. Truly.

[quote="cheezey, post:4, topic:314210"]
. It might be that it was left there by someone like me, who, wanting to join the Catholic Church, but has no money to buy another Bible, wants to do what can be done meanwhile.

[/quote]

Cheezey, ask the RCIA director or the Director of Religious Education if the parish has copies of the Catholic Bible that they give away. Even if you haven't started an RCIA class or picked a specific parish, they may have a free Bible for you.

[quote="RoseMary131, post:5, topic:314210"]
Cheezey, ask the RCIA director or the Director of Religious Education if the parish has copies of the Catholic Bible that they give away. Even if you haven't started an RCIA class or picked a specific parish, they may have a free Bible for you.

[/quote]

Really???
Gee, thanks for the thought!

Blessings!!

[quote="RoseMary131, post:5, topic:314210"]

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

We generally have 10 or 20 extra bibles in our RCIA closet. When Father was handing out bibles to the RCIA class after the Rite of Welcome he told the rest of the people in the church that if they didn't have a copy of the bible or the catechism to let him know and he would get a copy for anyone that wanted one. His reasoning was money shouldn't keep anyone from learning the faith.

[quote="Usige, post:7, topic:314210"]
:thumbsup:

We generally have 10 or 20 extra bibles in our RCIA closet. When Father was handing out bibles to the RCIA class after the Rite of Welcome he told the rest of the people in the church that if they didn't have a copy of the bible or the catechism to let him know and he would get a copy for anyone that wanted one. His reasoning was money shouldn't keep anyone from learning the faith.

[/quote]

darn tootin' right!! Hope there is one left for me 'cause this is gonna take a while...
thanks for the info!!

[quote="WaitingForJesus, post:3, topic:314210"]
I would take it to the Lost and Found.

[/quote]

This, too....:thumbsup:

[quote="subject97, post:1, topic:314210"]
I was feeling like i should write something on one of the blank pages in the front about how it wasn't the whole truth, but then again it isn't my thing to write in.

[/quote]

I'm glad you chose not to vandalize the Bible. The King James Version is a pretty good translation (NKJV too for that matter), and assuming it didn't include the Apocrypha, how much is the lack of those seven somewhat obscure books going to impact the average person spending an hour at adoration? Same thing for the several verses where we disagree on choice of words. On the other hand, your scrawl could have been an unsettling distraction for some.

Having said that, a Catholic church should be using an approved translation. I agree that the pastor, or whoever oversees the adoration chapel, should be notified and encouraged to replace this Bible.

[quote="Digitonomy, post:10, topic:314210"]
I'm glad you chose not to vandalize the Bible. The King James Version is a pretty good translation (NKJV too for that matter), and assuming it didn't include the Apocrypha, how much is the lack of those seven somewhat obscure books going to impact the average person spending an hour at adoration? Same thing for the several verses where we disagree on choice of words. On the other hand, your scrawl could have been an unsettling distraction for some.

Having said that, a Catholic church should be using an approved translation. I agree that the pastor, or whoever oversees the adoration chapel, should be notified and encouraged to replace this Bible.

[/quote]

Oh! I had the impression from the OP that it was left there, not a Church copy. But still, yes, for an hour, it is also good. Regardless, not the OP's possession, therefore not his or hers to write on anyway. I'd hesitate to write in any Bible, actually. Post it notes like you wouldn't believe, but no writing. :D

i would have given the book to the priest or anyone say in the office, not let it lay there,
but,
before i joined RCIA, i bought a bible, NIV, because the King James is so antiquated and hard to read. i have kept it, the NIV, even though i know now it is incomplete because the gospels have the words of Jesus in red so they stand out. kind of neat from a study point of view.

I would have taken it and replace it with a Catholic bible.

[quote="CatholicLife, post:13, topic:314210"]
I would have taken it and replace it with a Catholic bible.

[/quote]

See posts 4 and 10.

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.