Awkward, yet important question

I had a question regarding purity and medical things. (the following contains some mature content)

I appear to have a somewhat rare condition called Frenulum Breve, which is a condition where the frenulum (the small piece of skin that attaches the foreskin to the glans) is shorter than usual. This results in painful intercourse, and if not treated can result in the frenulum tearing and scarring which can make the situation worse. A doctor told me that it can possibly be corrected by "stretching" the frenulum over a period of time by pulling the foreskin back for an extended period of time (3 minutes), and then pulling it far forward, and then back again.

I was wondering if this would be morally acceptable to do, or if it would be considered a form of "masturbation" or be sinful in some way.

Thanks, and God Bless.

Since you say its a medical condition its not wrong to try to repair it.Why would you masturbate?Or how could it cause you to masturbate?Explain if you like.

You might also consider circumcision. This is not common in adults, but is performed for medical reasons.

It's not that I would be intentionally masturbating, as I know that is a sin. I just wanted to make sure that the stretching exercises wouldn't in of themselves be considered some form of impurity.

This may sound painful, but may be better. Have you looked into circumcision? Wouldnt hurt to ask a health care provider if this would help. Not gonna lie. gonna be painful. but there are some wonderful pain meds out there…:thumbsup:

[quote="sabski, post:4, topic:241058"]
It's not that I would be intentionally masturbating, as I know that is a sin. I just wanted to make sure that the stretching exercises wouldn't in of themselves be considered some form of impurity.

[/quote]

I don't think it is.

It would be akin to a women doing kegel exercises.

Why not bring this question to bio-ethicist?

The ncbcenter.org could answer your question.

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:6, topic:241058"]
I don't think it is.

It would be akin to a women doing kegel exercises.

Why not bring this question to bio-ethicist?

The ncbcenter.org could answer your question.

[/quote]

I don't think that is equivalent, because the motions the OP is discussing could definitely cause sexual arousal. Kegels do not involve a woman's arousal mechanism.

Those were my thoughts, and obviously I would not be doing those motions with that intention, but the possibility of arousal is still there.

[quote="sabski, post:8, topic:241058"]
Those were my thoughts, and obviously I would not be doing those motions with that intention, but the possibility of arousal is still there.

[/quote]

What if you wrapped your parts with a cold pack or something?

:)

Might make it more difficult to enjoy. Did the doctor have any suggestions...oh, wait, never mind, the doctor would just say "It's natural if you want to ...go right ahead!"

[quote="sabski, post:4, topic:241058"]

[/quote]

No. Masturbation is deliberately stimulating yourself to gain sexual pleasure. The pursuit of sexual pleasure isolated from its unitive (the intimacy and bonding of married love) and procreative purposes is morally disordered. It is not that any organ of your body is bad and dirty and should not be touched.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:7, topic:241058"]
I don't think that is equivalent, because the motions the OP is discussing could definitely cause sexual arousal. Kegels do not involve a woman's arousal mechanism.

[/quote]

Well, you obviously do not know how to do a Kegels exercise appropriately then, because yes, it does stimulate your inner "arousal mechanism". So the example the previous poster was stating was in fact correct.

[quote="sabski, post:8, topic:241058"]

[/quote]

Since you would be going through this as a part of treatment without the intent of gaining pleasure, its sort of an unavoidable near occassion of sin - sort of like its not a good idea when dating someone to spend the night alone together, but if the two of you get caught in a snow storm and are snowed into a building and have no choice, your culpability is lessened. Just be extra careful and rely heavily on God's mercy.

[quote="Mamanurse, post:11, topic:241058"]
Well, you obviously do not know how to do a Kegels exercise appropriately then, because yes, it does stimulate your inner "arousal mechanism". So the example the previous poster was stating was in fact correct.

[/quote]

??? doing kegals appropriately? That would mean that there is a correct however inappropriate way to do kegals that does not stimulate your inner arousal mechanism. However it would seem that the only appropriate way to do kegals would be to avoid stimulating that if that is indeed the case.

[quote="Mamanurse, post:11, topic:241058"]

[/quote]

The OP is talking about an external part, and Kegels do not involve an external part. I was correct.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:14, topic:241058"]
The OP is talking about an external part, and Kegels do not involve an external part. I was correct.

[/quote]

I understand the OP is talking about his external part, but women have both inner and outer areas of stimuli and if kegels are done correctly and effectively the inner stimuli can be affected. No kegels do not effect the outer area, but when kegels have been done correctly they will definitely stimulate our inner parts. I'm not trying to derail the post....sorry.

I would say that you are not doing this exercise for the purpose of sexual stimulation, so it is not sinful. After all, we wash our private parts regularly (which can certainly be "stimulating") without taking things further, so as long as you don't let it become an occasion of sin, no problem.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.