Baby Boomers and the TLM

I am 55. I was born in 1951. I grew up with the Latin Mass. My mother and sister wore hats in church. I sang in Latin in the boy’s choir on weekends when I was not serving as an altar boy. My conscience was formed before Vatican II.

The world changed when I was in high school. I quit attending Mass in the early 70s because I believed HMC had gone protestant. I found a reverent NO parish and have been a member since the early 80s.

I love my parish. It is a cathedral parish and I have sung in its choir for 18 years. I’m not the only one here whose memories go back before Vatican II.

We are the forgotten remnant. It needs to be pointed out that we actually lived as Catholics before Vatican II. Yes, there are still people of our parent’s generation who are still alive and they are more than free to correct me. But, remember, I grew up as a child before Vatican II.

I hear Gregorian chant and my soul goes into prayer. I don’t know how to explain this phenomena to you. I simply don’t feel anywhere near the same with even a revernt NO Mass much less a life teen Mass.

I’d like to talk to my fellow boomers. I want to talk to those of you who, like me, grew up with the Latin Mass. Please, let’s just limit this in the beginning to those of us who grew up with the Latin Mass.

I actually find that Baby Boomers are some of the biggest proponents of the NO Mass.

brotherhrolf,

As I said earlier, we are about the same age. As the changes came on line, I started going to Mass at a local Carmelite Monastary. While they said the N.O., it was at the High Altar, they used the Communion rail and you could receive only on the tongue. It was the best we could do at the time. As time went on, the three priests all died and the new priests started to really innovate their Masses. So I went back to my home parish. I went until the late 80s. I usually left Mass upset, but I kept at it until one Sunday the priest consecrated what appeared to be a french roll. The consecrated hosts were in straw baskets and appeared to be croutons! That was it. I couldn’t take it any longer. I left and never looked back.

A couple of years ago, I found out the TLM mass that had been said by an independent priest was now aligned with the F.S.S.P. I made an appointment with the priest and he heard my confession. You can not believe how happy I am to be at that chapel. I never would go due to it’s irregular set-up, but God has answered my prayers.

I just posted a loooong essay that you might want to skim. It is too long to read in its entirety, at least in one session.

Getting toward suppertime, so we will add to the converstation later, hopefully with more Boomer Sooners er, Baby Boomers. :smiley:

I think that we boomers have a whole lot to say. We grew up with the Mass in Latin. And I am more than happy to find out that there were others of my generation who didn’t like the change to the vernacular.

We get put out to pasture because it is perceived that we “loved” the change. I didn’t. One of the things the new Traditional Catholcism forum is doing is making me within the very depth of my soul remember that my faith was formed before 1965.

I was a little child during the '60s, and only became Catholic in '96, so the NO Mass is all I know. I’ve never seen the TLM, but I’ve always wanted to see one (AFAIK, the nearest one is in Orlando, over two hours away). The NO Mass is ‘Ok’ but some things leave a bit to be desired- alot of the hymns are lame, even Protestant, and we had a pianist- now gone- who felt the need to emulate Jerry Lee Lewis during the Alleluia; Altar servers -mostly girls- wearing sneakers and flip flops (and people in general dressing like slobs). I also notice that Eucharistic Prayer I (the longer one which mentions “the Holy Catholic Church” and asks “to save us from final damnation”) is hardly ever used (I think I’ve heard it once). I’m a lector at my church, which is something I enjoy doing, but I think if a TLM was available I’d probably give it up in a minute.

I grew up in the 1950’s with the traditional Latin Mass. I just can’t figure out why the people on these forums are so hung up on it. There is a lot of discussion here about people who are upset because there were so many changes in the Mass. I go to a parish with a normal up-to-date Mass - this has been the normal Mass for at least the last forty years. I have never heard anyone in my parish state that they wanted the Latin Mass back. It is not even an issue.

I’m not saying that I would never go to a Latin Mass if the opportunity presented itself. I am just saying that I don’t miss it. In fact, I recently found out that some of the “holy” priests who said the Latin Masses where I was growing up were actually abusing little boys on the side.

As far as Communion in the hand is concerned, I actually believe that it is more reverent than communion on the tongue. Years ago, I was a Eucharistic Minister, and a couple of people stuck their tongues out instead of their hands. I almost freaked out and ended up accidentally touching their tongues with my finger. Why would a tongue be more holy than a hand? It just doesn’t make any sense to me.

I guess I’m just rambling a little tonight, but I wish that the people who are longing for the good old days would just get over it. I’m not sure that those old days were all that good. I really think that the Mass has changed for the better. I even enjoy it when people join hands for the “Our Father” (they don’t do that at our parish).

It’s way late at night to respond. But respond I shall tomorrow.

I lied! Listener, listen to this hymn which you have forgotten:

feastofsaints.com/jesusmylord.htm

In all of my 55 years, I have never received in my hand. Domine, non sum dignus. Lord, I am not worthy. In fact, I really want to kneel. except that the communion rails have been ripped out in the cathedral. I can kneel if I go overt to Sonny’s parish.

This was a common communion hymn before Vatican II. It is quite different from One Bread, One Body don’t you think?

I grew up with the Latin Mass. I don’t know Latin, but I recognized the latin parts of the Mass that were the same at each Mass. I have always found the words of the English in the LM majestic sounding and conducive for contemplation and obtain deeper insights from them.

If I am not mistaken, the liturgy of the LM used mostly words straight from the Bible. Not from the NAB version, of course. :smiley:

What’s up all you folks who are way older than me?! :slight_smile:

I’m only 33 so I’ve never experienced a Latin mass. I can tell you this though, I would love to!

But I also love a reverent new order mass. I like the lectionary too. I think it brings out the Bible in the mass in a very rich and powerful way.

The only thing I don’t like about it is the hippy music. Get rid of that and throw down with something more reverent, and I am a happy camper.

I just became a confirmed Catholic last June and I love the Church and I trust the Pope. He’s pretty cool. I trust him.

Keep cool folks. Peace to all of you!

[right]JMJ + OBT[/right]

You can experience it on video if you like :smiley: : (1) Missa Cantata (Sung Latin Mass) for the Last Sunday after Pentecost, (2) Traditional Votive Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

There’s more where that came from: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=127874

Enjoy!

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary.

IC XC NIKA

This has been a general problem and no one type of priest or order has been immune from the scandal.

As far as Communion in the hand is concerned, I actually believe that it is more reverent than communion on the tongue. Years ago, I was a Eucharistic Minister, and a couple of people stuck their tongues out instead of their hands. I almost freaked out and ended up accidentally touching their tongues with my finger. Why would a tongue be more holy than a hand? It just doesn’t make any sense to me.

A Eucharistic Minister ought to be trained that the system is that the communicant may choose to receive either on the tongue or in the hand. Neither should be regarded as an attempt to disrupt the service or make a point. There are two options and he takes one of them.

However the hand is used to manipulate. Thus the symbolism of receiving on the hand is rather different. It is moving in a small way from a priests and people set-up to a priesthood of believers type church. My own view on this is that the implications haven’t been really thought out.

I was born in 59 so I remember it as a kiddie, when we visited nana I would wear my best socks and red shoes ( I wanted patent black shoes) a dress and a white mantilla. My brother would be in his shorts and shirt with tie, hair slicked down.

Nana had the most amazing collection of hats and with her whizbang glasses with diamantes on and her with gloves of course.

It was so quiet in the Church,it was SO EMBARASSING :o if nana had to speak to you about wriggling. She would always give us the coins for the collection.

I fell away and came back to the Church 30 odd years later…I love it when the organ blasts out a hymn, we dont have enough hymnals and I KNOW the hymn word for word for up to 3 verses…wow.:thumbsup:

Yes there were and are bad people in the role of priest and religious…BUT there are so many good and holy people who have never been recognised and never will be:)

My dad was born in 1950 and left the Church after the changes. He did not come back to the Church until last April, after I had discovered the truth of Catholicism and shared with him what I found. After he went to confession for the first time in over 30 years I took him exclusively to a Latin mass–he loved it.

When he came out to Steubenville to visit for Christmas I took him to both the TLM in Pittsburgh and the NO here in town. He could not even believe that the NO was a Catholic mass (and ours is fairly reverent).

I take communion in the mouth as I’m afraid of dropping it if it was placed in my hand!

In my experience, in a very conservative part of the country, many, if not most of the people in the pews, were wondering why all the changes. There was a sizable segment that did want the Mass changed to the venacular. To me it is not suprising that you don’t hear people wanting the TLM in your parish. After 35 years, those attracted to the TLM have either suppressed their attachment, come to terms with the new mass, never known the TLM, or have died.

…but I wish that the people who are longing for the good old days would just get over it.

That is exactly what the proponents of the new Mass hoped would happen. Pope Paul VI not only issued a new Mass, he forbade public participation in the TLM. Not only that, he requested the suppression of the other ancient liturgies. I was attending Mass at a Carmelite Monastary during that time and the priests were quite upset that their order obeyed the Pope’s request since the Holy Father could not suppress the Carmelite Mass without their permission.

My own opinion is that Pope Paul VI understood the new Mass would die a quick death if left up to the people in the pews. People would vote with their feet and wallets. He probably thought that the only way to insure the new Mass’s success was to forbid the old Mass.

There was a very short transition period between the missals and the new Mass, at least in my parish, was implemented with little instruction on why it was needed. It was, to borrow a legal term, crammed down in spite of the opposition. I doubt that I will ever “…just get over it”. Not the abuses or especially how the N.O. was implemented.

Robert, there is one here at my church. Not quite as far as Orlando. www.immaculateconceptionjax.org. Sorry to say I haven’t attended the Tridentine Mass yet, I’ll be getting a head covering soon, which is why I haven’t gone. We do have a Mass on the first Sunday of each month at 12:00 that is Latin/English that I attend regularly. I hope to attend the Tridentine Mass soon.:slight_smile: BTW, it is the only Indult for the whole Dioceses of St. Augustine .

I’m certain I just won’t “get over it” either. It was, in essence, crammed down our throats. One Sunday we sang “Praise to the Lord” with organ accompaniement and the next it was all guitars and “Sons of God” Allelu, Alluelu, Allelu u u u e ya!, Indeed. From the sublime to the nigh unto ridiculous.

There are significant numbers of parishoners in my parish that receive on the tongue only. And as for myself, if I could kneel without disrupting Communion, I’d do that as well. Somehow I just can’t get “over” the fact that I am receiving body, blood, soul and divinity of my God. Kinda moves me to utter reverence. Domine, non sum dignus means something to me.

Bro…I am hearing you big time. I do ‘miss it’ because I too was born in '51. Mass was reverent on the whole and the music alone brought you to heaven. What an atmosphere to welcome our Lord and king! We have lost the ‘mystery’ of what is to occur during Mass. Needless to say, I truly miss it. When I found out a couple of years ago that the order of nuns that I entered in '69 (which was a very traditional order) , have let go of their of their habit and God knows what else! There was an exodus of us who left in in '71 (not my choosing…and probably not the choosing of most)…you would’ve thought there was a limitless number of vocations around…but such was not the case! :crying:

But Fr John Corapi says we should’nt be fooled…at times what ‘seemed’ to be reverence, was not reverence at all!

Yep, I remember any number of 6am daily Masses I served that were over in 20 minutes. I can also remember serving Mass when it was just Father and me before our parish church got built and he did not rush. Made a profound impact on me, Sho.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.