Baby Girl Name

Hi! My husband and I are pregnant with our firstborn, and while we have had an easy time deciding on a name for a boy (right down to names for our first, second, third, fourth, etc.!), we’re having difficulty with a girl name. We seem to have very different taste in girl names. While Baby doesn’t arrive until July and we just may wait to see her to decide on the right name for her, we currently have Penelope Raphaela. I absolutely love the name Raphaela, but DH doesn’t care for this for the first name. Also, we’re both in total agreement about Penelope.

It is important to us that our children have Christian names, and to me, it’s important that they have a saint in particular to protect them. I’ve not been able to find much on “Penelope” in the Christian world other than that it was the pagan name given to her by her parents, and the name that she later renounced upon her conversion to Christianity. Does anyone else have insight into the name?

Also, thoughts on Penelope Raphaela?

Thank you!

How about Sarah Elizabeth? The Sarah for Abrahams wife, and Elizabeth for several reasons. First, Mary’s cousin, Elizabeth, gave birth to John the Baptist. Then there are several St. Elizabeth’s. One’s feast day is July 4. You don’t want a name that too unusual. Think about the possibility of her being teased by other kids her age. Not that I don’t like the name Penelope, but Raphaela might be a problem. Of course, with Penelope, she might end up being called just “Penny.”

Of course, kids get funny ideas. I once knew a woman who had two small kids. Well, one just a baby. But the little girl’s name was Naomi Elizabeth. She went by “Betsy.” Why? Well, apparently where they lived when she was born, some other kids had trouble saying her first name and just called her “Miami.” :eek:

You can just argue that Penelope is a female derivative of Pens.:smiley:

catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=5345

Leslie.

Leslie Laura Cecilia

Lovely names.

No really…:shrug:

Francesca.

In honor of the Pope!

Why not a family name? Like the names of both of your mothers?

When I think of Penelope, I think of the Kardashian baby. Sorry. And why not a more common Christian name? How about good old Mary? I know someone who named their child Ferdinand. Ferdinand!

Elektra.

Our fourth child, a girl, is due in June. No one likes the name we have chosen (at least not the first name). We have decided that our daughter’s first name will be Lumina. Lumina is the pre-Christian name of St. Philomena. My husband liked the name Philomena and well, I am not a huge fan. But when he said in this name debate that we could call her Lumina for short (he thought it was a nick-name but when we looked it up we found the truth) I said I would rather choose Lumina as the name, not as a nickname. Originally we were going to choose Lucy as a name but finally decided on Lumina. And, you’d be surprised at all the obscure saint names out there (my oldest’s first name we didn’t think was a saint name, but after looking it up, it is though not even remotely a well known saint name).

However, there is a saint Penelope in the Greek Orthodox faith. Who knows…maybe under Pope Francis there may be a uniting of the Roman Church and all the Orthodox churches…then you’ll be ahead of the game :wink:

Dear Gianna, our eldest child is Raphaela, she is now 12. She has always had so many compliments on her name. It is also a name that translates well into many cultures. She is American and we currently live in Germany, in her German primary school there was another girl in her grade with her name spelt the same way. It’s a name used in Italy, Spainish-speaking nations, Ireland in fact any Catholic society. In America one of her classmates has a older sister called Raphaela. It’s a truly Catholic, Christian name but one that is not overused. We are not of Latino descent but I like the fact that my American daughter has a name that is familiar to English and Spanish speaking Catholics.

I guess this is somewhat irrelevant as you already love the name! Just wanted to affirm you and say you are not alone! :smiley:

Daphne Ariel

Nevaeh Faith) Nevaeh is atcually Heaven spelled backwards!)

Vanessa Lily

Lydia Jordyn

Violet Jade

Piper Kylee

Willow Ivy

Summer Rose

I highly reccomend you check out this site: biblical-baby-names.com

Penelope is a very pretty name. I wouldn’t worry about the fact that there was one person named Penelope that renounced Christianity.

That is my daughter’s name. :slight_smile:

Penelope is ok but the R name is kind of overdoing it I think. You could pair Penelope with a simpler middle name like Sara or Marie.
I’ve always liked the name Miriam but it may sound too old fashioned. Myrie for short would be cute though. Marion is so pretty too. I always wondered if anyone ever named their baby girl Rosary? I’ve never heard of anyone being named that shrugs
I also really like Evelyn, Evie for short. Leah is really pretty.

Oh someone said Piper. That name is sooo adorable. I love it.

I once told my ex that I’ve always like the boys name of Nathan and that I had always thought that if I had boy/girl twins, their name might end up being Nathan and Natalie.

Whenever I hear someone talk about naming a child I think of this essay:
The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with $160,140.00 for a middle income family. Talk about sticker shock! That doesn’t even touch college tuition. But $160,140 isn’t so bad if you break it down. It translates into $8,896 a year, $741.38 a month, or $171.08 a week. That’s a mere $24.24 a day! Just over a dollar an hour.

Still, you might think the best financial advice says don’t have children if you want to be “rich.” It is just the opposite. What do your get for your $160,140?
Naming rights . . . First, middle, and last! Glimpses of God everyday; Giggles under the covers every night; More love than your heart can hold; Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs; Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies; A hand to hold usually covered with jam; A partner for blowing bubbles, flying kites, building sand castles, and skipping down the sidewalk
Someone to laugh yourself silly with no matter what the boss said or how your stocks performed that day; For $160,140, you never have to grow up

You get to finger-paint, carve pumpkins, play hide-and-seek, catch lightning bugs, and believing in Santa; You have an excuse to keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh and wishing on stars

You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnets; You get to collect noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in clay for Mother’s & Father’s Day for $160,140, there is no greater bang for your buck

You get to be a hero just for retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof, and taking training wheels off the bike; You get to be a hero for removing a splinter, filling a wading pool, and coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs; You get to be a hero for coaching a baseball team that never wins but gets treated to ice cream regardless

You get a front row seat to history to witness the first step, first word, first bra, first date, and first time behind the wheel. You get to be immortal You get another branch added to your family tree. You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice, communications, and human sexuality that no college can match.

In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there with God

You have all the power to heal a booboo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them without limits, so one day they will, like you, love without counting the cost

Sorry it is so long, but I just love it, especially the part about naming rights.

Every baby seems to need a totally unique name these days. Like we’re all so darn special! I vote for more Marys and Elizabeths and Johns and James!

But Penelope seems OK…Raphaela…not so much.

:shrug:

Polly is a very nice name. :smiley:

Do you have favorite relative ?? Try useing there name. I know when my daughter was born we named her Emma Jo like her Keri Jo. My grandma that i was close to her name was Ceciel Josephine Emma Roberts good luck in choosing a name.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.