Baby name?

So I like the name Delilah. The Pope just spoke about naming our children Catholic Christian names. What do you think?

Well, if I were a child named Delilah and I heard the story of Samson, I think I would be very upset that I was named after her. Also, the name means "one who weakened or uprooted or impoverished..." It is a very pretty name, but I think I would search for one that was pretty and that meant something more conducive to high self-esteem (or at least more conducive to not being evil). Still, I don't know much about choosing appropriate names for Catholic kids. I've never had to. :shrug: :blush:

That's tricky. I think the name Delilah does sound pretty but I do agree with FriendlyFace about thinking of the connotations of a name: it's like if you name your daughter Jezebel, you might like the sound of the name but the association is the problem. If you really like it, maybe use it as a middle name rather than a first name?

In Hebrew, Delilah means “(one who) weakened or uprooted or impoverished”. In other words, the woman in the Sampson story (in Judges 16) had a name that fit. Not that Samson’s behavior in the early verses of the chapter don’t indicate that he was not exactly of the same fiber as the patriarch Joseph, who resisted the advances of a powerful married woman.

You might consider looking through the calendar of saints and see if anything strikes you. My kids like that their saint has a feast day.

americancatholic.org/Features/Saints/bydate.aspx

Delilah isn’t a Christian name and she would not be a good role model for your daughter.

I like the name and honestly, it never would have occured to me to research it.

I like Juliana - St Juliana of Nicodemia was a Christian martyr of the 4th century, a patron saint of childbirth and sickness, particularly popular in the Netherlands.

Lucy - St Lucy was a Christian martyr, very little is known of her actual life, but various legends have sprung up about her, mainly based upon the meaning of her name. St Lucy’s Day is on the 13th December, in Scandinavia it marks the beginning of the Christmas season.

This has nothing to do with religion but Deliha makes me think of Dandylion. If I was going over resumes to hire someone and saw ‘Deliha’ I would immediately think she was not too bright. A VERY UNFAIR judgement but when a manager has a lot of resumes, often it is silly reasons that cut someone

Just my 2 cents

Delilah makes me think of the old Tom Jones song…“My, my, my Delilah”; she didn’t meet a good end. It also brings to mind that lady DJ who is syndicated across the country and annoys me. But, if you love the name that much, just give Delilah a saint’s middle name.

I had a friend named Salome and I always liked that name and wanted to use that name but John the Baptiste lost his head because of Salome. So it's kind of like Delilah, sounds very pretty but have not so nice connotations.

[quote="gracelovefaith, post:1, topic:227131"]
So I like the name Delilah. The Pope just spoke about naming our children Catholic Christian names. What do you think?

[/quote]

How about Lily or Evangaline. Have some of the same ring to them as Delilah, but without all the hair and head cutting history ....

More names here....

catholicdoors.com/misc/names.htm#names2

Prehaps you could maybe use a different variant of the name such as Delia or Lilah.

[quote="gracelovefaith, post:1, topic:227131"]

[/quote]

When I was making confirmation, I chose this name. The principle called me into her office and told me I had to pick a different one. I guess I was trying to rebel a bit. :blush: At any rate, I strongly dislike this name for that reason, lol!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.