Baby strollers in church?

May seem like a silly question but has anyone brought or seen others with strollers in church during Mass? I ask because I sometimes have to walk to church and I need to bring my 12 month old son. One time I carried him in my arms and he was heavy and it was hot out! I can’t wear him because I have a bad back. So i need the stroller but not sure if its fine. :slight_smile:

Can’t you leave it in the entrance?

in our church because of fire laws the usher will ask you to take the seat out and put it in the pew, take the stroller to the back, and bring it to you at the end of Mass. We have taken pews out to accomodate wheel chairs, and the handicapped need that space, so we ask parents not to bring strollers there, either. Our new church will have not a cry room but a family friendly area that will accommodate strollers, if it ever gets built. Probably depends on the layout of your church. In DD’s big modern church with its huge narthex there are dozens of strollers, because it is a long hike from the parking lot.

I could and just may have to do that.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:3, topic:204873"]
in our church because of fire laws the usher will ask you to take the seat out and put it in the pew, take the stroller to the back, and bring it to you at the end of Mass. We have taken pews out to accomodate wheel chairs, and the handicapped need that space, so we ask parents not to bring strollers there, either. Our new church will have not a cry room but a family friendly area that will accommodate strollers, if it ever gets built. Probably depends on the layout of your church. In DD's big modern church with its huge narthex there are dozens of strollers, because it is a long hike from the parking lot.

[/quote]

I don't know about any fire laws here so I'll just leave it in the entrance more likely...if that's ok with the church or I'll just ask an usher what to do with it.

I've seen several people do that. They either just stand in the back or they sit in the cry room with it (our cry room has a big glass wall that looks right down the center isle of the church.)

Can you call the parish office and ask what the church policy is? It is hard to say because there are issues like fire codes or keeping spaces for wheel chairs as others have suggested.

If it is a smaller parish and they don't suspect a lot of people will want to bring a stroller they may be inclined to make an exception for you.

But I totally understand if you have a bad back this is your only option. If worse comes to worse, could you lock it up outside like a bicycle?

CM

Can you not leave it just outside near the door , maybe a side door its ,unlikely anyone would steal a baby carriage from a Church doorstep

Lots of people bring strollers to Mass at my parish. But we have a rather unusual setup and it’s a big building with lots of wide aisles, both lengthwise and crosswise.

I bring a stroller to mass and so does every other young mother. It's never been an issue. They leave their stroller on the side. That's what I do too.

I've never had a complaint or heard of one.

Probably depends on the layout of the building and whether it is feasible to bring in a stroller without impeding egress in case of a fire, or access by emergency workers in case someone needs help.

Oftentimes newer churches are built with these considerations in mind, not necessarily for strollers but for wheelchair access. You would think if wheelchairs are ok, so would be strollers.

As a parent of young kids myself, what really amazes me is how short that window of time really is when you will need the stroller - close your eyes and blink and next thing you know your child will be outrunning you. Unless you're walking a mile or something.

I do every Mass. We live a block away from church and my four year old cannot walk, so I put him in the stroller. I do, however, leave it in the back of church and just carry him to the pew, but our church does have a pew for disabled or wheelchair bound people, so I could bring it right in if I chose.

At my parish, there are "Stand Alone" Pews that line some of the walls in the back corners of the nave. That's usually where the People with strollers sit.

Is it one of those small fold-up "umbrella strollers" that fold up to take no more space than a handicapped person's cane? I think that would be okay...

I'm an usher at our church, and we do have to "enforce" the fire codes, and keep the aisles, entrances and exits clear; but I've always allowed (and encouraged) someone with a fold-up "umbrella stroller" to fold it and simply take it along with them into the pew.

The larger strollers aren't brought to church very often; since children are now required to ride in the rear-facing car seats, most of them come out of the car with the baby carried inside a "cradle-like" contraption with an adjustable "basket-handle." These things easily fit in a pew...

If someone does show up with a full-size stroller, we'd have them take it over to the handicapped area, where there is ample space for a few wheelchairs or baby strollers... And for a mom who knows me, I'll offer to hold the child for her... and some have taken me up on my offer. (We Grandparents are such pushovers... :o )

Thanks for all the replies. I wore him to church last Sunday but may take the stroller next time if I have to walk and ask an usher. It's a small umbrella stroller and so space isn't an issue, and we don't even have that many people coming in anymore since Easter season ended, so there is plenty of space.

The good thing is most strollers on the market today are designed to fit into the cargo space of the standard sized vehicles when the stroller is collapsed.
strollers child

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.