Bach & The Baroque Period

What’s the difference between baroque and classical music? I understand it’s the era difference. But when it’s Bach, people generally say ‘it’s classical music’. :confused:

I used to feel that way, but not any more. Bach was somewhat of an acquired taste for me–I never disliked him but when I was younger he didn’t do that much for me. Now I agree with my wife that Bach’s music is a major argument for the existence of God. You hear the harmony of the universe in it. I find this incredibly moving. I still love Beethoven and the Romantics, mind you, but if I had to choose between Bach and Beethoven (I’m very happy that I don’t) I’d choose Bach without question.

How he’s played does make a lot of difference. As another poster said, many people are purists and think that if you use any techniques or dynamics that were not in use in the Baroque era, you’re somehow ruining the music. And that can put a lot of folks off Bach. He doesn’t have to be cold–it’s just that many people play him that way.

Computer? Not on your life.

Edwin

Classical music is a broad term that usually refers to music produced in, or rooted in the traditions of Western liturgical and secular music, encompassing a broad period from roughly the 9th century to present times.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music

But classical music itself is broken down in “periods”. They are:

Middle Ages 400-1400
Renaissance 1400-1600
Baroque 1600-1750
Classical 1750-1820
Romantic 1820-1900
20th Century 1900-2000

Art is also broken down by similar periods.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.