Bachmann Iowa Chair Ditches Her for Paul

[T]he fact is, there is a clear top tier in the race for the Republican nomination for President, both here in Iowa and nationally. Ron Paul is easily the most conservative of this group.

The truth is, it was an excruciatingly difficult decision for me to decide between supporting Michele Bachmann and Ron Paul at the beginning of this campaign. Dr. Paul and his supporters were a major help in my successful campaigns for Iowa House and Senate even when I couldn’t count on the support of the Republican establishment here in Iowa…

He’s also consistently spoken out against government spending, assaults on individual liberties, and unnecessary trillion-dollar military adventurism for over 30 years. Polls show he is the Republican candidate that can take on and defeat President Obama in November 2012…

With the entire Republican establishment intent on smearing Ron Paul and his dedicated supporters, I understand this decision could impact the way people see me and my entire political career. But this is the right decision, and one in which I proudly stand behind.

thepage.time.com/2011/12/28/bachmann-iowa-chair-ditches-her-for-paul/

Dave Weigel , “This changes everything. Instead of having to drop out on January 4, Bachmann will have to drop out on January 4.”

:rolleyes:

IMHO, Bachmann’s toast.

more:

[LEFT][RIGHT]“The decision I am making today is one of the most difficult I have made in my life,” Mr. Sorenson said in a statement. “But given what’s at stake for our country, I have decided I must take this action.”

Mr. Sorenson said he was “saddened at the dismissive way she’s been treated among some conservatives,” but he said that it had become clear Mrs. Bachmann was no longer a viable contender.[/RIGHT][/LEFT]

thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/top-bachmann-aide-in-iowa-to-support-paul/?smid=tw-thecaucus&seid=auto

Sorrenson will regret his decision. No one is trying to smear Ron Paul, he simply is not a viable candidate. A Ron Paul nomination will guarantee four more years of Obama.

Maybe that’s what Sorrenson wants.

Bachmann remains my candidate.

why do you think this

I think paul could beat obama I think he get a lot of voters in the debates he would wipe the floor with obama so to speak.

Problem: The independents decide presidential elections, and Indy’s dont like Paul. It’s that simple.

do indies like obama?

I think you be amazed how many indies would vote for paul because of how much sense his views make.

Another snake in the grass. If he was principled, he would have chosen Paul from the outset. Instead, he jumps ship when it looks convenient. The only principled time for any of these weasels to bail on their chosen candidates is when that candidate quits.

Now then we shouldn’t underestimate Dr. Paul, let’s be honest here, how many of us were surprised in one way or another that he would make it this far? I’m a supporter and even I wasn’t sure, but now he’s leading in Iowa. I think he has great ideas, and would like him to get as far as he can.

The ones who vote for Paul will vote Obama

hmmmm

your saying if paul wins the nomination people voting for paul would actually be voting for obama?

No I am saying they have no intention of voting Republican in Nov 2012.

they why would they vote for paul in the first place?

Paul is in favor of legalizing pot and coke

didn’t answer my question

why would they vote for paul then turn around and vote for obama

explain how this happens.

if paul wins the nomination then he would have to win a lot of closed primaries meaning dems can’t vote in them. I suspect most registered GOP members will not vote obama, so if Paul wins the nomination how could it be possible for someone to vote paul in the primary and then vote Obama in the General election.

Paul isn’t going to be the Republican nominee. No way, no how, everyone knows that who is voting for him except possibly a few of his die hard fans.

So libs are playing a game.

The thing is that not all Republicans believe Ron Paul is a true conservative.

Here is an article that appeared in The American Spectator magazine back in August, which may answer why you are seeing opposition to Ron Paul.

Ron Paul and the Neoliberal Reeducation Campaign By Jeffrey Lord:

spectator.org/archives/2011/08/23/ron-paul-and-the-neoliberal-re/

Can you clarify “no way, no how”?

I’m curious after reading a thread earlier today speculating that the GOP would not nominate Paul even if he reached the convention with the most delegates…

Votes are votes. A ballot cast in a “non-serious” manner weighs the same as one cast by a “die hard fan”.

I also find the contention that independents don’t like Paul very interesting. Paul’s campaign is largely driven by independents, meaning conservatives who don’t feel obliged to follow the directives of the GOP establishment. “Conservative” and “liberal” are often misused labels, but if conservative means following the Constitution, Paul is pretty much the only conservative running. On the other hand, if conservative means supporting a perpetual and undeclared war and granting the President the authority to execute US citizens overseas without a warrant or to jail US citizens in their own country indefinitely, again without a warrant…well then I can no longer count myself as a conservative.

I don’t agree with Paul on everything, but I think he is by far the best option of the candidates running. I pray for God’s blessing on his campaign and our nation.

Pax Christi

On the contrary, Paul is the top contender among independents. He even pulls “Hope and Change” Democrats.

publicpolicypolling.com/main/2011/12/paul-maintains-his-lead.html

If you want to win the independents and disaffected Democrats, Ron Paul is THE candidate.

Peace and God bless!

I think Ron Paul is currently the best canidate out there and I support most of his views. I would love to see him elected president. However, I seriously doubt that even Ron Paul believes he can be elected. I do think with the support he has, he will have enough influence on the other candidates, that they may be forced to adopt some of his policies or at least substantially modify their positions on some issues.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.