Back from Rome

We just came back from Rome and it was magical.

I LOVE Rome. I've been there 4 times and never get tired of it!

Might be going in the fall. Love to hear what you saw, where you stayed, where you ate. :)

[quote="aicirt, post:3, topic:232249"]
Might be going in the fall. Love to hear what you saw, where you stayed, where you ate. :)

[/quote]

I stayed at a hotel called Milton. I don't recommend it. The food is bad, we didn't like it at all.

The city is wonderful. We used the Metro and it was very useful. My advice in Vatican. Book tickets in advance for the Museum. We did and we just went in front of the line and showed the tickets. And when you go to the St. Peter's Basilica go very early in the morning. We went in the afternoon after the museum and stayed in 45 minutes queue.

Did you eat anywhere else? Any good places to recommend? Any places to avoid as not worth the wait?

I’ve stayed in apartments twice and highly recommend it! We used www.rentalinrome.com both times.

My brother and I stayed here last summer:

rentalinrome.com/domusaureapenth/domusaureapenth.htm

We ate breakfast on the balcony every morning and drank wine on the balcony each night. It was an easy walk to and from Termini Station (at least for us).

We agreed in advance to use as little public transportation as possible so we could walk and explore. For us it worked out great. (we’d both been to Rome before) We like finding out of the way restaurants and churches that are not in the guide books, though we did visit the major basilicas. My brother found a number of restaurants on slow food websites. I had mouthwatering gnocchi w/ cheese sauce in the Jewish Ghetto.

Book the Vatican Museum in advance as well as the Scavi Tour. Both are amazing. Catacombs are also worth the bus ride. Visit the 4 major basilicas, and the Holy Stairs, which are near St. John Lateran.

In Rome, Florence and Orvieto, we went to the local markets for lunch. We’d have sandwiches made fresh, buy some fruit and sodas, then eat in a park and watch the world go by.

Oh how I miss Rome!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.