Back half of chasuble folded up

Can someone explain to me the intriguing tradition of finding up the back half of the chasuble in the ordination of priests in the extraordinary form? I’ve looked it up on Google but found nothing.

From These Are the Sacraments by Fulton Sheen:

“The bishop does not wear gloves for this second imposition, but he does for the first. The Mass is interrupted here, for the second time, to give the power to forgive sins, because this power was given by Our Lord at a time distinct from that of the authority to offer the Mass. The night of the Last Supper Our Lord ordained His priests, after having offered the sacrifice of bread and wine, saying: “Do this in commemoration of Me.” But it was after His Resurrection that He gave them priestly power to forgive sins and the power of binding and loosing. This corresponds also to the double ceremony of the chasuble: first, the putting it on as folded for the pre-Resurrection power; and secondly, the unfolding, to indicate the giving of additional priestly powers of forgiveness. When the chasuble is unfolded, the bishop prays: ‘May the Lord clothe you with the robe of innocence.’”

catholicsaints.info/the-sacrament-of-holy-orders-as-described-by-venerable-fulton-sheen-1962/

Very interesting, I did not know this. Thanks for sharing.

DGB

Fascinating information. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.