Back to my roots (a thread about being single sorta lol)

I guess I'm a rare Catholic convert. I'm a southern boy (family as been in Georgia and the Carolina's since the 1800's. My parents and I became Catholic in 2003. I'm more of a blue collar guy. I love working on cars & trucks, auto racing, country music, sports, grits, cornbread, fried chicken, sweet ice tea, hunting, fishing ect. I'm going to scool for my bachelors in business management since I feel like I should get a bachelors in something and I do enjoy management.

Unfortunately the Catholic girls here (in the area I live) don't like that. The only want white collar sophisticated intellectuals. 2010 was a pretty bad year for me dating wise. I had a bad break up and got rejected a lot. And because of that I decided that I would try to change and be white collar guy so I could get a girlfriend. I abandon my automotive passion and stuff. But I felt so fake.

I quickly realized that I would rather be myself and be single then be something I'm not just to have a girlfriend.

So 2011 I'm getting more back to my roots. I'm still getting my bachelors (because I enjoy management) but I am going to also finish my automotive degree because I really enjoy working on cars and working with my hands. And when I get my income tax check I'm going to get me an old pick up truck and I am going to crank my country radio up loud:D

Because I'm a Southern blue collar Catholic boy. And if a girl doesn't want to be with me because of it that's her problem not mine.

[quote="stockbrick240, post:1, topic:225453"]
I guess I'm a rare Catholic convert. I'm a southern boy (family as been in Georgia and the Carolina's since the 1800's. My parents and I became Catholic in 2003. I'm more of a blue collar guy. I love working on cars & trucks, auto racing, country music, sports, grits, cornbread, fried chicken, sweet ice tea, hunting, fishing ect. I'm going to scool for my bachelors in business management since I feel like I should get a bachelors in something and I do enjoy management.

Unfortunately the Catholic girls here (in the area I live) don't like that. The only want white collar sophisticated intellectuals. 2010 was a pretty bad year for me dating wise. I had a bad break up and got rejected a lot. And because of that I decided that I would try to change and be white collar guy so I could get a girlfriend. I abandon my automotive passion and stuff. But I felt so fake.

I quickly realized that I would rather be myself and be single then be something I'm not just to have a girlfriend.

So 2011 I'm getting more back to my roots. I'm still getting my bachelors (because I enjoy management) but I am going to also finish my automotive degree because I really enjoy working on cars and working with my hands. And when I get my income tax check I'm going to get me an old pick up truck and I am going to crank my country radio up loud:D

Because I'm a Southern blue collar Catholic boy. And if a girl doesn't want to be with me because of it that's her problem not mine.

[/quote]

Trying to be something you'fe not will only make you miserable. I know where you're coming from though. I'm pretty active and most guys see that as a turn off but whatever ....I would rather find someone who accepts me as I am then pretend to be something I'm not. :cool:

God has a plan for you, my friend. Always has, for all eternity! You just need to find out what it is to find true happiness on earth. Sounds like you’ve made a step in the right direction. :slight_smile:

Ever thought of a religious vocation (priesthood, brotherhood)? You never know!

Hey, there, Stockbrick. Nice post and wise on not trying to be someone different just to "get" a girl.

Trying to be someone you're not is not even not worth it, it actually is shooting yourself in the foot because you're getting a woman that likes someone you're not, as opposed to the woman that likes someone you are. But this is easier said than done.

Ive honestly never felt called to a religious vocation. But if God did call me to that I would listen lol.

Thanks.

I have a huge passion for cars & trucks and have had that since I was little (most kids sleep with stuffed animals but I wanted to sleep with my tonka truck lol). I started taking automotive related stuff a couple of years ago. But I stopped because a people were telling me how aweful that career was and I would be dumb to go with that and all.

So I started getting my core stuff so I can transfer to take business management which I have a mild interest in. But since I went away from cars I have missed it really bad. I will walk all the way across campus just to look around in the automotive class stuff.

So I'm going to take some more automotive classes next quarter plus work towards my management stuff (double major).

Your management degree will come in handy when you own your own automotive shop. You can make very good $$$$ working on cars. And if you are good at it, you never have to worry about a job. :wink:

[quote="Miriam1947, post:7, topic:225453"]
Your management degree will come in handy when you own your own automotive shop. You can make very good $$$$ working on cars. And if you are good at it, you never have to worry about a job. ;)

[/quote]

Yeah plus this day and age its good to have a bachelors and know a trade lol

There are definitely ladies out there (well, me anyway!) who’d rather be with a blue collar Southern guy than any ten white collar sophisticated intellectuals. Be glad you learned quickly that you feel so utterly fake playing a white collar intellectual just to please others. That lesson took me over ten years to learn.

PS: Why not just major in automotive stuff? It sounds like that’s your passion and where your interests lie. A few business classes won’t hurt and may be required anyway, but if you’d rather be out there working on cars and working with your hands, go for it! :thumbsup:

nothing wrong with blue collar work, I encourage many people when it comes to work, to work where their heart is, it is there that your best work comes out and the “real” you comes alive. I’ve been working at a preschool since 1985. It surely doesn’t pay well, and its a “dirty” job (thinking snotty noses, dirty diapers, dealing with vomiting, overflowing toilets constantly etc…sorry to go into detail lol), a hard job dealing with other peoples children, showing love to children who act out daily because they don’t know how to get attention otherwise… but I tell you, its the most rewarding job for me. I would not trade what I love to do for ANYONE!! they could cut my pay in half and I wouldn’t leave (maybe get a side job to compensate lol) I’ve raised 3 kids as a single mom, on my pay only. I’ve seen God put food on my table when I had to make 20.00 last a week.

The hardest 4 years of my life was dating a guy who tried to get me to be someone I wasn’t, the extremely strict parent(the kids have no say so in anything), the uncaring boss (its this way or you’re out!), its my way or no way. I was made to feel I let people walk all over me. I came to realize, nope thats not it at all… I’m a caring person and I wasn’t made to have a hard heart to anyone!

Be yourself, its God who’s molded you into who you are today and who you will be in the future. just don’t veer off his path, it might shake his hands, put a dent in the mold, and he’ll have to start repairing it, hopefully not from scratch again! :smiley:

Phrase your blue collar interests as something that cannot be outsourced to India and see if that makes them take notice. Otherwise, if you want to get a parting shot in, say you are going to retire early from all the money you make selling oxygen to them, since their noses are stuck so high in the air.

[quote="lel, post:9, topic:225453"]

PS: Why not just major in automotive stuff? It sounds like that's your passion and where your interests lie. A few business classes won't hurt and may be required anyway, but if you'd rather be out there working on cars and working with your hands, go for it! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Mainly so people will hush about me getting a bachelors lol. Other wise I would get my automotive degree and finish my core. And just take a few business classes so I can run my own shop/small business.

[quote="Norseman82, post:11, topic:225453"]
say you are going to retire early from all the money you make selling oxygen to them, since their noses are stuck so high in the air.

[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Good one!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.