Background of Eastern Catholic posters

Hopefully the wording is clear. The idea is that each EC posters should either:

• check off “I am cradle EC” and nothing else, or
  • check off “I am not cradle EC” and one or more of the boxes that follow.
    Apologies to any LCs who are in the mood to vote in a poll. :wink: Maybe there’s one on another thread you could get in on. :smiley:

(Personally, I checked the second and third boxes. I’m not cradle EC, I used to be Latin Catholic.)

A little about me, when I was first coming into the Church I was going to become Byzantine or Maronite, but I remained a Latin :slight_smile:

I was raised in the Ruthenian church, but attended Latin Catholic school and we eventually (about 5th grade, I think) started going to the school parish because it was across the street, as opposed to a 30 minute drive. I always identified as a Byzantine Catholic, as I’d been baptized and chrismated as an infant in the Ruthenian church and I didn’t know that I was not canonically Byzantine. Neither of my parents were, they just liked the church. When I was in my late 20s, I really felt a longing for Byzantine liturgy and spirituality and started to visit my childhood parish. I went about once a month for several years and took my Latin CCD class for a visit. I got married, kept up the once a month schedule, but my husband didn’t love it, so I was content with that for a while. We had our first 2 children baptized in Latin church. My parents decided to return to the Byzantine parish about the time our 3rd child was conceived, so we were attending more often. Our parish is really struggling in terms of people and finances, and I want it to be there for the future. I finally convinced my husband that it is really ok to drive 30 minutes to church when there are no less than 15 Catholic churches that are a closer drive. Our 3rd child was baptized in the Byzantine church. Our 2 year old and 4 year old were chrismated at that time as well and we have been there ever since. Two more children have received the mysteries in the Byzantine church since then. The children and I have canonically transferred, but my husband prefers to remain a Latin Catholic. (For the time being. I see his spirituality becoming more and more Eastern. ) My very small parish continues to struggle and I pray that more of our on-the-fence frequent Latin visitors take the plunge and make a commitment to the parish in which they find a part-time home, if they want us to be there in the future.

I was raised Roman Catholic and am currently in the process of canonically transferring to the UGCC.

baptized, and raised Roman. But, I easily identified w/ Byzantine, based on my own attitudes (less legalistic; and more traditional). I had thought about flocking to Protestantism, but found Orthodoxy/Eastern Catholicism.

My husband and I were both born into the Byzantine Catholic church. Although, my Mother was Russian Orthodox she married my Father in the same Bzyantine church to which my husband and I were Baptized in and still belong and our four children were also, although 3 of them have left any and all churches:( Prayers for them to return, please.

Anyone else care to vote?

I was going to vote, but the tab says that the poll is closed. So here’s how I identify:

Roman by law, Maronite by practice, Melkite at heart.

I was born and raised Roman Catholic, but fell in love with the East through the Ruthenian tradition. While living in Ann Arbor, MI. I knew a number of Maronite priests who had bi-ritual faculties to celebrate the Roman Mass. Their presence made me curious about the Maronites, but I never really ventured over to their parish in Flint.

After moving to Northern Virginia my wife and I discovered Holy Transfiguration Melkite Greek Catholic Church and were hooked for the duration of our presence in VA. We were planning on officially becoming Melkite because we loved the tradition so much. The only thing that held us back was that we knew we’d be moving back to the Greater Cincinnati area one day and there isn’t a Melkite parish anywhere near here (there’s a Ruthenian mission in Dayton, OH., but it’s too far for us to travel given my job and our family situation). Both of our children are Baptized, Chrismated, and Communicated in the Melkite tradition, however.

Now that we are living in the Greater Cincinnati area (Northern Kentucky) we attend the Maronite parish whenever we can make it to Church on Sunday (my job and her health don’t always permit us to get to Mass/Liturgy on Sundays).

So: “Roman by birth; Maronite by practice; Melkite at heart.”

Oh right, I forgot about that. :blush:

:slight_smile:

Born and raised Knanaya Catholic of Kottayam Metropolitanate :).

I was raised protestant.
I was baptized and Chrismated/Confirmed in the Antiochian Orthodox Church in 2009.
I was Chrismated/Confirmed in the Coptic Orthodox Church in 2011.
I was received into the Catholic Church in 2012.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.