Backlash over Martin’s LGBT book prompts speech cancellations

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Jesuit priest Father James Martin’s invitation to speak at Theological College, the National Seminary at the Catholic University of America, has been rescinded following the publication of his new book encouraging Catholic outreach to the LGBT community. “Since the publication of his book, Building a Bridge, Theological College has experienced increasing negative feedback from various social media sites regarding the seminary’s invitation…in the best interest of all parties, the best decision was made to withdraw the invitation,” the seminary said in a press release. The decision by Theological College is the latest in a series of cancellations in reaction to Martin’s book, including others by the Order of the Holy Sepulchre and the Catholic Agency for Overseas Development.

Let the church work out a single, united policy, not various individuals coming up with their own ideas. When the church finally decides a policy, I will support it wholeheartedly.

The Catholic Church spans the world and operates on the principle of subsidiarity. This precludes the possibility of unified policies in many areas.

day late and a dollar short, I made a thread about that awhile back.

Why do I get a strong deja vu experience from this thread?

I would venture a guess that very few of the CAF members have read Fr. Martin’s “Building a Bridge”. I do know that I thoroughly enjoyed his books, “My life with the Saints” and “The Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything”. They were highly edifying and encouraged me in my Faith and showed the beauty of the lives of the Saints as something we ought to direct our attention to if we want to live a life fully alive in Christ. They were both perfectly orthodox.

(Yes, this comment is somewhat off topic, I know. But I think he was criticized enough in the last thread. More than enough. )

That’s because Martin is for same-sex marriage

3 Likes

He’ll probably get 20 more invitations from places that weren’t even thinking of him before, just because this happened.

I haven’t read his book.

He says there is nothing unorthodox in the book, as did his superior who gave permission to write it.

The criticism is that he didn’t touch enough upon the sinfulness of homosexual relations.

1 Like

Check out the following links:

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/father-james-martin-proposes-an-alternate-catechism

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/why-some-catholics-should-not-receive-funerals

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/the-true-language-of-respect

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/should-catholics-stop-opposing-homosexual-behavior

1 Like

I’m not really informed on whether he has said that he does or does not support same sex marriage. Could someone cite a credible source for me where he says that.

These two books were published at about the same time:

“Building a Bridge: How the Catholic Church and the LGBT Community Can Enter into a Relationship of Respect, Compassion, and Sensitivity,” by Fr. James Martin S.J.

and

“Why I Don’t Call Myself Gay: How I Reclaimed My Sexual Reality and Found Peace,” by Daniel Mattson.

I’m thinking that if a Catholic university wanted to hold a symposium on the topic, inviting both authors to speak about their books at the same event, there would be few objections.

1 Like

Martin has no business lecturing at a seminary. In fact, he wouldn’t be invited to lecture anywhere in the Catholic world UNLESS he were known as a leading proponent of tolerating the homosexualist agenda in the Church. That’s what he’s known for. That’s his niche. He’s all the rage in some circles these days, because under Francis they see a chance to change anything they want in the Church, including things the Church has no authority to change…like the fact that homosexuality is objectively disordered.

4 Likes

No. He’ll probably get 20 or more invitations from places who are sympathetic to Fr. Martin’s cause. Let’s face it. Most of the free world, and half or more of the Catholic Church (including many in the hierarchy) are sympathetic to the LGBTLMNOP cause.

1 Like

The seminary had no problem with Father Martin speaking there, he was invited to speak about Jesus (the talk wasn’t going to be about gay people). They had a problem with the noise and disruptions that “the church militant” would cause if he spoke there.

1 Like

The fact that the seminary had no problem (whatever that means…I am sure plenty of people therein had lots of problems with it) is irrelevant. What matters is Martin’s blatant disregard for Church teaching and attempt to work to change said perennial teaching. Namely, that homosexual acts are always objectively disordered.

3 Likes

Do you have a direct quote from father Martin saying this?

1 Like

I think Fr. Z hit the nail on the head here. Regardless of what he is going to talk about or why he was invited, his name is inextricably linked with the homosexualist agenda and he is too much of a lightning rod right now to justify inviting him to a seminary.

We need to protect our young priests, so they can protect us.

5 Likes

I love how Father Martin is no moral theologian, as he is quick to note, but he is happy to offer suggested Catechism rewrites. Instead of “objectively disordered,” he prefers “differently ordered.” In other words…acceptable and tolerable and even to be celebrated. It’s despicable.

4 Likes

Awesome links. They provide an example of how discussion should take place. I do not agree with the position of Fr. Martin, as I understand it in my limited way, but neither do I agree with Bishop Paprocki, again as it is presented in the media. For both of these men, I do not really know enough to have an informed specific opinion.

My point though is this. In neither case is doctrine being denied. The synthesis between the conservative and the progressive mind set has served the Church well over centuries. Sure, take sides if you must, but do so with charity.

As to Fr. Martin speaking at a seminary, I can see at lot of reasons he should. The American mindset is so polarized that part of priestly training must be to de-Americanize that polarization.

1 Like

So does the same thinking apply to conservative speakers uninvited to speak at universities? I’ve seen much the reverse of this argument made many times on this site.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.