Backpack Containing Access Health CT Account Info Found In Hartford

I know that there are a lot of Obamacare supporters here and one or two who are participants, so if you are one of them, please keep VERY careful watch on your credit for possible identity theft as this kind of thing will happen more and more as the government gets more of your information.

This is from the Hartford Courant:

A backpack found on a city street appears to have contained personal information from accounts associated with Access Health CT, the state’s health insurance exchange.

The backpack contained four notepads with personal information for about 400 people, the chief executive of the exchange, Kevin Counihan, said in an emailed statement.

“It appears as though some of that personal information may be associated with Access Health CT accounts,” Counihan said.

He said the exchange received a report earlier in the day that an individual had discovered the backpack on Trumbull Street.

As a military retiree, over the years I’ve gotten several notices where laptops or tapes or disks that had my social security number and health records have turned up missing. Thankfully, my credit monitoring has never alarmed on me; however, that’s not to say that it hasn’t happened to others.

Unfortunately, when more and more personal information is aggregated in fewer and fewer hands (i.e., the government and government contractors), this is going to become more common. I guess that is just a side benefit of the centralized control of our lives that so many here seem to espouse.

I no longer have any credit cards. I also very rarely use my ATM card. I’m thinking of opening up a 2nd bank account and not having an ATM card attached to it. That way when the next time a company gets hit by these hackers, I may not loose everything.

I’m actually more afraid of the information companies have about me and what they do with it. People have lost their homes because corporations had an error in their paperwork. People have been unable to get credit because of errors. I’ve signed on to one website and put in my email address and got emails from companies I’d never have anything to do with.

Unfortunately, this person could’ve worked for a private organization and gotten the same information. Actually, if he worked for the insurance company that those people ended up with, he could’ve gotten even more.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.