I have been experiencing low back pain for over two weeks now
and in the last couple of days it has been going down my left
leg as well. A co-worker of mine had this happen to her just
a few weeks before me and she was told she has arthritis in
her back. This scares me as my Mom has severe arthritis
and has suffered horribly with her back pain over the past several
years. I am 49 years old and thinking I could be in that same
condition at this age is making me very nervous. I realize it could
also be a pinched nerve, but anyway I am seeing the doctor tonight at 6:00 so please pray for me. Thanks so much!

Prayers for you and the pain you’re experiencing and for a “benign” diagnosis with little treatment.

Hi Donna Mc

It sounds like a trapped sciatic nerve, especially as it’s radiating down one leg but with your Mom’s condition it is scary not knowing. Praying for you.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

Thank you so much for your prayers. I know I will need an MRI,
I also wondered if it was sciatica. I guess from what I have read,
that would be the best of the outcomes. I do already have arthiritis in my hands though it hasn’t bothered me since last year,
and in my knees which only flares up now and again.

From today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Psalm 15 (16)

The Lord, my inheritance

My body will rest in calm and hope.
Preserve me, Lord, I put my hope in you.

I have said to the Lord “You are my Lord, in you alone is all my good.”
As for the holy and noble men of the land, in them is all my delight.
But for those who run to alien gods, their sorrows are many.
I will not share in their libations of blood. I will not speak their names.

You, Lord, are my inheritance and my cup. You control my destiny,
the lot marked out for me is of the best, my inheritance is all I could ask for.
I will bless the Lord who gave me understanding; even in the night my heart will teach me wisdom.
I will hold the Lord for ever in my sight: with him at my side I can never be shaken.
Thus it is that my heart rejoices, heart and soul together; while my body rests in calm hope.

You will not leave my soul in the underworld. You will not let your chosen one see decay.
You will show me the paths of life, the fullness of joy before your face, and delights at your right hand until the end of time.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.

My body will rest in calm and hope.

Reading 1 Thessalonians 5:23
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you in every way and preserve your life and your soul and your body without blemish, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

***+JMJTJ+

You will be in my prayers for your healing.***

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us, so that in difficult moments we might not despair, nor become despondent, but with great confidence, submit ourselves to Your Holy Will, which is Love and Mercy itself. Amen

Jesus please be with Donna in this and in all the difficulties of her life. Please grant her healing and grace.

Thank you for your prayers! The doctor thinks I have a condition
(don’t remember the big word he called it), it is not sciatica, but
inflamation around that area. He put me on medication and told
me to get a quarter inch heel insert for my left foot. He also suggested some type of therapy that is three times a week for a
month. Right now I am starting the medication and got the shoe
insert as that may be enough. If not he will prescribe something
stronger and then I may have to do the treatments. Regardless of that, I am so incredibly thankful that it is not something more serious as I had feared. This condition should eventually go away!
I did get the best outcome possible and I greatly appreciate everyone’s prayers. Thanks be to God and God bless you all! :slight_smile:

Hi Donna, from one back sufferer to another, you have my prayers. My is a chronic condition that required three surgeries and I still have problems. Yours is acute and not chronic. I hope and pray that you will get better with the heel lifts and the therapy. Did you have your MRI yet? That will reveal a lot. I am sure the doctor put you on a nonsteroidal medication and that will decrease your inflammation.

I will pray that your back will continue to get better and not be a permanent problem.

Lord Jesus, heal Donna’s back and give her good health in all of her areas of need.:gopray2:

Hi nana3, Thank you for your post! At this point the doctor does
not feel I need an MRI (I was totally expecting him to order one
when I got there). He said this condition if common and it should
improve in time. I am taking 800 mg Motrin three times a day
to start, the stronger medication he mentioned could make me
sleepy and if they say something may do that, for me that means
I will be out like a light! However if the Motrin does not work I will
have to do something stronger.

I know how tough it is to live with back pain from my Mom. She
has severe arthritis throughout her body and has had two back surgeries already. She is not able to walk for very long without
having to sit down. It is heartbreaking us to because if it’s not her
back, it’s something else giving her pain. I pray that your condition will improve too.

Gracious Lord, we thank you for a relatively benign diagnosis for Donna. Please continue to heal her from this problem as well as her arthritis issues during the coming weeks. Bless her and her mother. Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.