Bad Christmas Toys

Ok, so we went to the toy store to buy our daughter some Christmas presents and while there were some cute toys, there were some horrible ones too! There was a "nativity/advent"calender that didn’t have a baby Jesus, it had a “Santa Claus” instead! :eek: Then of course there were all of the Bratz dolls. What have been some of your experiences of crazy “toys”? Seen anything horrible this year or awhile ago? Also, what are some good toys you have seen?

Good toy-

Playmobile makes a little nativity set you can play with. Very cute!!! I’d reccommend it for ages 4-12. :smiley:

bad toy - a computer game advertised by Lawrence Taylor - it is a computerized football game that includes football players going to clubs and picking up hookers. It made me sick just seeing the ads for it.

It’s bad enough Duke Nukem did that. Even the Madden games don’t go that far.

That’s how I felt…and I admit, I am biased against LT because he has been so, well, (and this is my opinion, I admit it) dishonest about his cocaine addiction. First he’s clean, then he’s busted, then he’s not, then he is…and he is so arrogant about it…or, I should say, I PERCEIVE him as being arrogant about it. So, when I saw the ads for that computer game I just saw red.

Besides, he was never a Niner and I’m a Niner Faithful all the way (:wink: ).

How about Lincoln Logs? They build a great manger scene.

I HATE the Bratz dolls, the Bratz cartoon, and the Bratz anything else. Who wants their daughter to play with something that denotes a character flaw (being a brat)?

Awhile back, at Dollar Tree, I found a passel of plastic appliances. There was a mixer, a blender, a toaster, a food processor. The girls still have it, after three years, so these were apparently rugged, too.

How about this new (surprise, surprise) Disney group of gals, the W.I.T.C.H.E.S??? OMgosh, I took my 2yo to Mickey D’s the other day b/c we were pressed for time at lunch…and the “toy” she gets in her happy meal is one of these little WITCH dolls! Granted, they look more like Tinkerbell or something, but htey come with a little story book, and as I understand it (from my 7yo neighbor girl) they have a bunch of books to go along with them…oh joy…

[quote=leaner]How about this new (surprise, surprise) Disney group of gals, the W.I.T.C.H.E.S??? OMgosh, I took my 2yo to Mickey D’s the other day b/c we were pressed for time at lunch…and the “toy” she gets in her happy meal is one of these little WITCH dolls! Granted, they look more like Tinkerbell or something, but htey come with a little story book, and as I understand it (from my 7yo neighbor girl) they have a bunch of books to go along with them…oh joy…
[/quote]

WITCH seems to be banking on the “magical girl” formula seen in anime like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptors . It’s probably in response to the rising popularity of anime. It’s not as well written, though. :rolleyes:

I totally recommend arts and crafts for presents. My kids are constantly making something. My oldest daughter is into scrapbooking and this year she is getting a digital camera (on sale for $50) and some more stuff for her scrapbooks. My 7 year old is into sewing and yarn (knitting, crocheting) crafts. My son is hot on paints (especially those ones with the paint in the handle and a brush on the end) and modeling stuff (like clay and play-dough). The little one loves color wonder finger paints. The color wonder stuff is great for little ones!! Classic toys are always big winners like simple baby dolls, wooden train sets, and play pretend things like kitchens, tools, etc. Forget the electronic doo-dads that get all the hype. It doesn’t take long for those very expensive toys to get left by the wayside. Besides, you’ll go broke keeping them in batteries. And don’t forget about books and puzzles and games. There are lots of really great card games out for kids these days and they are pretty cheap ($4 to $6). The one newer toy that my son absolutely loves are geo-tracks. They are road and railroad toys that are easy to snap together. He plays with them every day, and the girls love to help him make elaborate tracks.

I decided this year and from now on to buy my children presents of a Christian nature. It’s worried me for a few years that “why should children get presents to celebrate Jesus’ birth if they don’t reflect him in some way”. There is quite a lot of variety to choose from: Board Games, Card Games, Computer Games, Novels, Story Books, Colouring Books, DVD’s, Dolls, Action Figures, jewellery, etc.
I’m not sure what my teenage children will think, hopefully they accept it.
Places that produce the above:
Cactus Game Design for board & Computer games (can order on the internet)
Cook ministries (order on internet)
Word Bookstore - carry heaps (In Australia & I think in America)

Hi,
I live in Alaska. I would like to suggest that instead of giving video games, toys, etc, gift an outdoor toy this time for a change. Your child would love to play with it and it would also help in his/her physical and mental health enhancement.

For cool outdoor toys click: Outdoor Toys and Climbing Frames

This thread is coming up on it's 6th birthday.

Just wanted to let you know, I am sure the OP has worked it out on her own by now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.