Bad Confession?

I went to confession a while ago to confess a sin that I was afraid was mortal (the only reason I thought it might have been was because “What if this is a mortal sin?” crossed my mind while I was committing it, but I sort of ignored that and did it anyway.) Now, because of something that I ran across on this forum, I’m afraid I wasn’t specific enough in confessing (however, I didn’t know this at the time.) I’m worried that it was a bad confession. However, I have also been once more between now and then, but I didn’t confess the possibly “bad” confession because I didn’t know it might be a bad confession. Should I go again?

Try not to second guess your confessions. That way lies madness.

You acted on the the information you had available to you at the time, and whatever you may have read about afterwards applies for your present and future actions, and will not invalidate past ones that you made before you had said information.

Above all, you certainly seem to have had no intent at all to withhold any mortal sin, nor any information that could affect the validity of the confession.

Remember it is a requirement of mortal sin (and withholding a mortal sin in the confessional in itself must meet the requirements of mortal sin to become one) that the sin be intentional and conscious - you can’t accidentally commit a mortal sin, or commit a mortal sin without knowing it’s one!

Thanks so much!
That’s pretty much what I assumed, but I wanted to make sure. And that’s a great point about withholding a sin having to meet the requirements for a mortal sin to be a mortal sin itself. I never thought about it that way.
God bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.