bad daycare?

please pray for toddler son

my son is 2 and started a new daycare. He is not adjusting, and got ill this week and stayed home for 2 days, and is not going well back in daycare. his teacher called and wanted me to get him because he wants to be held all the time and she can’t “hold him all day”. she says he’s still not feeling well and won’t eat, but he eats fine for me, plays and then also is not sick anymore and I know he is not - the dr even said he is fine.

He would not eat or drink AT ALL Tuesday there, and cried the whole time - and I wasn’t even notified till I picked up up after 10 hours!!! At least she called me today when he was acting like that, but when I came and got him he was separated by 10 feet or so from his class, against the wall on his bed crying for TWENTY minutes!!! She seemed to think this was not long at all for him to be separated from her and the group and crying. And there are 2 teachers - why can’t one take care of him?!?!?!

I thought I had calmed down about this, but writing it is making me angry again - he is my son!!! Uhh…I need prayers. I will have to talk to managment and please pray that I do the right thing - whever it’s keep him there, or look for a new place. I just want my baby to be happy and safe, and right now I am concerned for both of those!!!

Poor thing. 10 hours is a long time to be in a new place with new people when you are only 2 years old. Is there any way to have him eased into the new daycare? A couple of hours for the first week, and adjust up to a full day?

that is a really great idea. maybe I will try that! Thanks :slight_smile:

Poor little guy :frowning: I feel upset just reading about it! He will certainly be in my prayers for a smooth adjustment as well as for a softening of the heart for his teachers. God bless your family.

As a daycare assistant, that is inappropriate. It is not uncommon for toddlers to eat very little, but not eating a thing is a problem. Also, a time out should br 2 minutes for a two year old. As for holding him all day, is he use to you holding him all the time? I hold the children when they’re sad or need to calom down, but I can’t and wouldn’t hold one child all day (my dd is at daycare with me and I don’t hold her as much as I’d like nor as much as I hold a few of the other children). I do agree that if possible try to ease him into daycare (preferably another one) since he may not be good with a change like this.

Poor thing. 10 hours is a long time to be in a new place with new people when you are only 2 years old. Is there any way to have him eased into the** new daycare**? A couple of hours for the first week, and adjust up to a full day?

I think this is an excellent idea!!
And do note, that I bolded the “new daycare” to emphasize that I do think that a different place is a much better solution than trying to make the poor baby stay with someone who allows him to cry for :eek: :eek: 10 hours, without even calling his mother once…
It sounds like a person who really has no concept of children as being people…How would she like it, if:mad: she were left to cry for hours, without so much as a sip of water???

As a daycare assistant, that is inappropriate. It is not uncommon for toddlers to eat very little, but not eating a thing is a problem. Also, a time out should br 2 minutes for a two year old.

Bless you!! The 20 minute deal has me so very angry…That is an eternity to a toddler. He must have been terrified that he was being left alone forever. :frowning: :frowning: Poor baby!!

Oh wow, have I ever BTDT. DD started daycare when she was 13 months old. She CRIED ALL DAY. It was heartbreaking. She had good caregivers, though. The daycare center director would come in a lot and rock her when the other caregivers were tied up with other kids. But it was still very hard on her, AND ME! I would go there in the middle of the day and watch her through the one-sided glass and she’d just be sitting on the floor sobbing and her eyes all puffy . :frowning: :frowning:

When she was old enough to move up to the toddler room, she did a complete turnaround. She went from crying when I left her in the morning to crying because she didn’t want to leave! I think the problem was just that the environment in the baby room just didn’t vibe well with her.

Maybe you need to try a different daycare center. Or even better, ask around for some recommendations for good in-home care. That would be ideal because he’ll be able to get much better individualized attention. Too bad ya don’t live near me! I’d love him up all day for you!

well, I do hold him when he’s upset, and this is all new for him ( a different daycare) and I get the feeling they don’t take the time to calm him down - they just want to let him do that himself, and what he really needs is to be held and interested in something with the teacher for a little while and they he will go off on his own, He was doing okay last week, but not this week :frowning:

I guess what makes me really mad is that he is by himself crying with just tears and tears coming down while 2 teachers and 4 children are just sitting at a table painting. When my poor little guy looked up at me with tears, I wanted to really give it to the teacher, lol, but thought I should consult this with my dh first. I wanted to go tell them right then and there though that I would never bring him back!!! Thanks!

Great Advice

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.