Bad Priests

Is it ok to admit and acknowledge that there are bad priests out there who either 1) abuse the liturgy 2) do not uphold their vows in Holy Orders and 3) go against Church teaching in favor of financial or political gain? 4) Shows lazieness such as trying to make Confession quick just to get you out of there.

They are out there. I won’t name specific names becaue of CA forum rules. But I think we all can think of a priest or two in our experience or in the media that just has not cut it. I think another important thing about being educated Catholics is that we need to be able to spot and recognize this. It is a great gift and sacrifice for somebody to be a Priest and I just don’t want to see it go to waste.

I wonder if there are priests out there who themselves know if any of there brother priests are perhaps possessing of these not so great qualities I mentioned above.

Is it OK to admit that there are "bad people" everywhere? Those who abuse government programs, don't uphold their marriage vows or the promises to take care of their children,
go against Chruch teaching or civil law becasue "they" know better, or are just plain lazy.

There are people in every walk of life that can do better. Why point fingers at priests?
Wouldn't it be more constructive to pray for priests than to b**** about them all the time?

=jasonjessica09;9329490]Is it ok to admit and acknowledge that there are bad priests out there who either 1) abuse the liturgy 2) do not uphold their vows in Holy Orders and 3) go against Church teaching in favor of financial or political gain? 4) Shows lazieness such as trying to make Confession quick just to get you out of there.

They are out there. I won't name specific names becaue of CA forum rules. But I think we all can think of a priest or two in our experience or in the media that just has not cut it. I think another important thing about being educated Catholics is that we need to be able to spot and recognize this. It is a great gift and sacrifice for somebody to be a Priest and I just don't want to see it go to waste.

I wonder if there are priests out there who themselves know if any of there brother priests are perhaps possessing of these not so great qualities I mentioned above.

Abram, Moses, King David, and Peter were all chosen by God too.And so was JUDAS.

One must be careful here. I see no benefit in identfying priest or others who have failed to live there Baptismal vows and even Vows of Orders. :o

Do they exist? Certainly.:(

Are WE perfect?:confused:

YES we must identify them as to how they may effect our faith and the faith of those around us. And take PRUDENT action.

Mt. 18:15-17 "If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector."

There is Prudence and Charity is the right handling of these isolated cases.:thumbsup:

It is difficult to see the right and bright side of such disclosures publically.

God Bless,
pat/PJM

Of course there are bad priests out there, but for every bad one there are 999 good ones. We should pray for all priests.

My mom always, and still does, teach me that priests are the ones that are MOST tempted. I get what your saying, but it is our job to pray for them. They live alone, surely They interact with people, but they themselves are people too, sometimes they have no one to talk to. A great priest at my Parish was feeling down, He had an appointment to meet with another priest to talk. After mass a teen about my age sat down and asked if anything was wrong, and leant the priest and ear. The priest was grateful.

They need someone to talk to, They fall into temptation like everyone. So pray for them.

There have always been and always will be bad priests.

You might say it is part of Tradition :)

But on a serious note, the parable of the cockle might help us understand why God allows such things:

Matthew 13:24-30

Another parable he proposed to them, saying: The kingdom of heaven is likened to a man that sowed good seeds in his field. But while men were asleep, his enemy came and oversowed cockle among the wheat and went his way.

And when the blade was sprung up, and had brought forth fruit, then appeared also the cockle. And the servants of the goodman of the house coming said to him: Sir, didst thou not sow good seed in thy field? whence then hath it cockle? And he said to them: An enemy hath done this. And the servants said to him: Wilt thou that we go and gather it up? And he said: No, lest perhaps gathering up the cockle, you root up the wheat also together with it. Suffer both to grow until the harvest, and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers: Gather up first the cockle, and bind it into bundles to burn, but the wheat gather ye into my barn.

• PAX

[quote="EcceAgnusDei, post:6, topic:285486"]
There have always been and always will be bad priests.

You might say it is part of Tradition :)

But on a serious note, the parable of the cockle might help us understand why God allows such things:

Matthew 13:24-30

• PAX

[/quote]

You may want to use the little t in this instance. ;)

[quote="jasonjessica09, post:1, topic:285486"]
I think another important thing about being educated Catholics is that we need to be able to spot and recognize this.

[/quote]

Really? Why? To be an occasion of sin for yourself? I think it's part of being Catholic to not stand in judgement. The worst priest around is still a manufacturing facility for the Sacrament. And you are..... ? And I dunno about you, but I sure don't feel qualified to judge the "worst" priest.

And if I tried I would never use your criteria.

I''M WITH ST. FRANCIS GOOD PRIEST, BAD PRIEST, IN OUR OPINION! THEY ARE WHO BRING US THE EUCHARIST!!! WHERE WOULD WE BE WITHOUT THEM?? P:thumbsup:RAY FOR PRIESTS ALWAYS!

yes there are bad priests. there are bad Bishops who ordain men who are not suitable to the priesthood and there are bad, very bad seminaries that cater to homosexuals and heretical ideas. There is a good book on the subject, I think its called goodbye good men.

Pray for our priests, and thank God for them.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.

God bless our priests.

Thank you Jesus!

:knight1:

Of course it's ok to acknowledge that there are bad priests. Even the Rosary for Priests admits so in it's prayers for priests.

There are bad priests, bad hair days and badminton. It is all relative. There are also bad forum commenters.

[quote="dconklin, post:13, topic:285486"]
There are bad priests, bad hair days and badminton. It is all relative. There are also bad forum commenters.

[/quote]

:rotfl:

Lots of bad hair days. :)

[quote="jasonjessica09, post:1, topic:285486"]
Is it ok to admit and acknowledge that there are bad priests out there who either 1) abuse the liturgy 2) do not uphold their vows in Holy Orders and 3) go against Church teaching in favor of financial or political gain? 4) Shows lazieness such as trying to make Confession quick just to get you out of there.

They are out there. I won't name specific names becaue of CA forum rules. But I think we all can think of a priest or two in our experience or in the media that just has not cut it. I think another important thing about being educated Catholics is that we need to be able to spot and recognize this. It is a great gift and sacrifice for somebody to be a Priest and I just don't want to see it go to waste.

[/quote]

If I were you I would be more careful and I would say that there are priests that do bad things and I would detail the bad things that they do. I know that we commonly say that there are bad people but that is not really true and we should be even more careful when speaking about our priests.

[quote="TrueLight, post:14, topic:285486"]
:rotfl:

Lots of bad hair days. :)

[/quote]

I strongly invite you to stop staring at my bald spot. It makes me feel self conscious.

[quote="Cristiano, post:16, topic:285486"]
I strongly invite you to stop staring at my bald spot. It makes me feel self conscious.

[/quote]

Ha ha. That would be called "no hair days".

But seriously, to the OP. Yes, there are bad priests and one of the best things we can do is include a prayer for priests in our normal prayers as well as really support and encourage the good priests we encounter every week.

All I want to say is, there are bad people every were,we to are guilding of sin also, we are not to Judge others,only Jesus will, when he comes back to us,for he will seaprated the Goats from the his Sheep.And Jesus will say to the Goats,leave my sight,for you are dammed forever,and too his Sheep, he will say come enter my Fathers House. Priests are weak to sin also, but GOD,and his Son Jesus,will Judge all at the end :amen:.

I never felt safe saying there are bad priests because of the saying which says: "There is no such thing as a bad priest." But now I feel safe saying there are bad priests because St. Therese of Lisieux herself says there are bad priests ... she says bad priests are not saints. What this little Saint says makes a lot more sense to me than the saying I mentioned.

Not a subject on Catholic tradition.

CLOSED

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.