Badwords and Vulgar Expressions

The Peace of the Lord,

I’ve heard that if you love God then you’ll follow His commandments, Love what He loves and hate what He hates. And have read in the Holy Bible that vulgar words shouldn’t be said [Ephesians 5:3-5]. And the thing is, I have been saying a lot of these vulgar words. It’s like everytime I get annoyed I’ll say this, and everytime I get hurt I’ll say that. I know saying such things are not grave matter but I have to obey God even in these little things. Any suggestions on how I can stop? Or maybe you can suggest expressions that aren’t vulgar?

Thanks and God bless us all

English is my second language, I’m sorry if I have some grammar mistakes, thanks

First of all, I want to commend you on wanting to better yourself. Most of us don’t bother.

I think it’s easiest to start with using words that are similar but not vulgar.

Oh, sh…sugar. Oh, fudge and then go from there.

How about “wow”…or “eeeeek”

Vulgarity hurts the ears of those who try daily to live in the Presence of God.

Vulgarity does not give glory to God.

A friend of mine had been in the merchant marine, the army, and he could use bad words. One time, in response, his father handed him a dictionary and said to look in it for other words to express himself. There is also a thesaurus! :smiley:

One of my favorites is from the movie “Anchorman” (a terribly vulgar film, I know):

“Knights of Columbus, that hurts!”:smiley:

An Oregon bishop (whose name I can’t remember at the moment) was famous for saying, “My, my” when he was upset. :smiley:

When I’m alone I tend to use saltier language than when I’m with others, but not by much. I’ve been know to say “heavens to Betsy!,” oh my goodness," and “oh fudge.” My daughter is fond of “oh snap.”

Have you ever read Little Women? Jo liked to say “Christopher Columbus!”

Actually, I’ve found that being aware and using a humorous term not only avoids the word but also may defuse a tense situation.

Things like, sh…ittake mushrooms
Flo on the old sitcom Alice used to say, "kiss my grits.’

Make up your own.

I enjoy my “special words”. But if you must…
Check out Tim Hawkins 100 Christian swear words!
Try not to laugh!!!

Dear Striker_Eureka,

I have found the Winnie-the-Pooh films an invaluable source of harmless “swear words”:

“Oh, stuff and fluff!”
“Bother! And bother!”
“Oh dear!”

and so on. Not only are they inoffensive, but if you know the context in which they are used, they might even keep you from getting angry. :smiley:

Thank you very much everyone :thumbsup: To God be the glory !

In Ireland, they say “Judas Priest!” To avoid taking the Lord’s name in vain.

When I was growing up a Catholic neighbor used that one. For years I thought it was weird Catholic swearing. :slight_smile:

CCC 2559 “Only when we humbly acknowledge that “we do not know how to pray as we ought,” are we ready to receive freely the gift of prayer.”
“Man is a beggar before God.” St. Augustine

The constant recourse to silence with help your mind. If you devote yourself to wisdom, God will honor your tongue and make it his instrument, with this in mind:

“A good man out of a good treasure (wisdom) bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of an evil treasure (worldly) bringeth forth evil things. But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account for it in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.” (Mt 12:35-37)

Pope Gregory the Great said, “that what lacks a pious usefulness or necessity is called idle.” (Com on Mt, St. Thomas Aquinas, Mt 12:36) We constantly have to discern the range of what makes a word bad.

I’ve also been trying to clean up my language, so I like this thread.:slight_smile:
Sometimes I’ll try to just say nothing, or just “oh.” or “ah.” Lately I’ve been using “oh crumbs” a lot, which I stole from the 80s cartoon Danger Mouse. I like those Winnie the Pooh ones, too… I already say “oh bother” (in Pooh’s accent), but I’ll have to remember “oh, stuff and fluff.”

My brother and I both use “egads!” My sister in law says “cats!” and I’ve heard a comedian say, “Kittens MacTavish!” The possibilities are endless, really. It tickles me when people use clever expressions.

I agree…:slight_smile:

There’s, “Oh Gosh!” “My goodness”, “heck”, “yikes”.

There are vulgar expressions in the bible too. And not just from the villains.

In Ezekiel 23, God tells Ezekiel a story about two extremely promiscuous sisters who cheat on their husband and end up getting killed their Assyrian lovers. He tells Ezekiel this as a metaphor (the sisters are Israel and Judah, their adultery is in worshipping idols and false gods), but the language used isn’t really something most parents would want their children using.

This suggests that there are at least some circumstances where saying rude things can be justified.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.