Bah I can't think of a title, please read anyway

Greetings to Catholic Answers Forum,

There is a thread called Alone that words which makes us afraid. I had made a response in that thread that prompted this beginning of this thread.

I have a friend who is discerning whether they are called to a religious vocation. They have seen that I have chosen not to marry as I feel that I am not called to the Marriage Vocation after much prayer and spiritual direction. They have asked me if I am pursuing discerning as to whether I am called to another Vocation. I have responded to them, at this time I feel that I need to complete my Master's and Doctorate Studies in Sacred Theology, however when my degrees are completed I am open to following God's call. However I should say, if God calles me to a different Vocation right now before my degrees are completed, then by His Grace I will be willing to follow Him.

However I am rambling, My friend feels that they are being called to a Vocation other than Marriage, and yet they feel as if they could not live alone. They asked me how I was doing this, meaning how I am living knowing I am not called to the Vocation of Marraige, I said that "I was not doing this" but it was God's grace working through me not to pursue the Marraige Vocation, which I have discerned I am not called to.

I want to tell my friend that if one is indeed called to another Vocation other than marriage, God will provide the supernatural grace needed, but am unsure of what else to tell my friend. Any suggestions?

My friend also wanted to know if it would be wrong to go against a particular Vocation even if it was clear from prayer and spiritual direction that God was calling them in that direction, just because they felt that they could not be alone?

My thanks in advance to those reading and or posting replies to this thread. I ask that only Catholics respond to this question concerning its nature.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

God allows us to make choices, He will never force us to choose a path against our will. However, when we do not follow His Will for us, we will suffer some consequences. His will is perfect, and therefore the path He wants us to take is tailored for us - God knows us better than ourselves. He knows better than we do what will make us happy.

I haven't followed the thread and don't know the particulars of your friend's situation. Still, it may help you to consider how St. Paul tells the early Christians in the New Testament that it is better that they live alone, but they should marry if they are unable to live alone. (I'm paraphrasing badly, the passage is this: 1 Corinthians: 7)

Remember also what happened with Jonah, who was running from God's will and everything went wrong for him until he embraced it!

I guess, in answer to your question, it is always best to follow God's will in everything. If you know for sure God's will for you, I would think that it would be a sin not to obey. If one is unsure, and unhappy in one's state of life, one would not be culpable (it would not be a sin.) However, that one should try to discover God's will because peace will never be achieved by following one's own will - only in following God's will.

Hope that helps...

Peace and Blessings,

Terrysa

Greetings Terrysa,

I guess what I find so hard in advising my friend, is that I am not in their place. The times I have not prospered is when I do not follow God's will. I know not everyone can live without the Vocation of Marraige, and it is a grace that one can be able to do so. I don't want to contravene God in this manner, and I am thankful that I am going to go to visit my friends and family in the United States of America. Perhaps on this trip, I can think of after prayer of how to advise my friend.

Your response does help. I will bear that in mind as I forumulate what to tell my friend.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

I think if God calls us to something, He would give us the grace to fulfill it, but He might not give the grace at first.. He might first wait for us to respond through our free will, while it's still difficult. I don't know. But it could potentially be like that, what do you think?

If someone really thinks God is calling them to religious life, but they have a fear of being alone, - if God is truly calling them yes it would be bad to not cooperate with His grace... I mean they would lose out on THEIR path to holiness, which God planned for them since the beginning. God would still love them. It's their free choice.. He doesn't force us into anything. But it could potentially be dangerous in that they might go to Purgatory for this, - or it might make it more difficult for them to attain salvation... more difficult, not impossible. (I mean they would have less graces. But God can still work in that). It depends on why they said no.. how much knowledge they had of their vocation.

This is all just my opinion I don't know if ti's accurate :)

God bless

Greetings Monica4316,

Thank you for your response.

[quote="Monica4316, post:4, topic:254668"]
I think if God calls us to something, He would give us the grace to fulfill it, but He might not give the grace at first.. He might first wait for us to respond through our free will, while it's still difficult. I don't know. But it could potentially be like that, what do you think?

[/quote]

I think this is accurate. For if he gave us ALL the graces we would need, then where would the walking by Faith come in? I can see this being so.

[quote="Monica4316, post:4, topic:254668"]
If someone really thinks God is calling them to religious life, but they have a fear of being alone, - if God is truly calling them yes it would be bad to not cooperate with His grace... I mean they would lose out on THEIR path to holiness, which God planned for them since the beginning. God would still love them. It's their free choice.. He doesn't force us into anything. But it could potentially be dangerous in that they might go to Purgatory for this, - or it might make it more difficult for them to attain salvation... more difficult, not impossible. (I mean they would have less graces. But God can still work in that). It depends on why they said no.. how much knowledge they had of their vocation.

[/quote]

They are certain as well as their spiritual director. I am not unsure as I cannot be the judge and must leave this in God's hands. My friend feels a great deal of guilt so I am not sure if that is an indicator or not. I will share the fact that God may have been wishing them to pursue this road from the beginning. As I said in the previous post, I am thankful I will be taking a bit of a breather come this Monday.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

Bless you for it seems you are in a difficult position.
I read this in a book by Fulton Sheen, it's exact origination I am not aware as he quoted it.

God will never take you where his grace cannot sustain you.
I think of this at times and it gives me peace.

[quote="JerrySeibert, post:6, topic:254668"]
Bless you for it seems you are in a difficult position.
I read this in a book by Fulton Sheen, it's exact origination I am not aware as he quoted it.

God will never take you where his grace cannot sustain you.
I think of this at times and it gives me peace.

[/quote]

Greetings JerrySeibert,

The quote that you gave from Fulton Sheen's book gives me great peace. I have found this to be very true in my life. I know at first when I realized that I was not being called to the Vocation of Marraige, I did kind of freak out because I realized that marraige is natural to us humans, but I am glad that I have kept walking in this knowledge.

I have no idea of where or what God is calling me to. At least I got the Vocations narrowed down by one, it has taken a long time to get there, but I am at peace and content knowing that I am following God's Will for me at this time, however it is staying open to the other Vocations as well, thought they do terrify me. I would rather be single, than a priest or a religious or an eremitical hermit. Those three terrify me, but then again, not being married terrified me at one time, and I am at peace with my life and God's call. Perhaps if I am called to one of those three vocations, I too will have the peace about them that I have right now.

I will share this with my friend. Thank you for responding.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

Someone who is looking into religious life of some kind needs to realize that there is no calling/vocation until the church calls that person.

It is also perfectly possible to live in community even though one is not married or in religious life. But being concerned about living alone is no reason to pursue any vocation. Your should not be comparing, remind your friends that your vocation is not theirs and vice versa.

[quote="Mrs_Sally, post:8, topic:254668"]
Someone who is looking into religious life of some kind needs to realize that there is no calling/vocation until the church calls that person.

It is also perfectly possible to live in community even though one is not married or in religious life. But being concerned about living alone is no reason to pursue any vocation. Your should not be comparing, remind your friends that your vocation is not theirs and vice versa.

[/quote]

Greetings Mrs Sally,

I just emailed my friend about this very topic and it was a long email. I made the last point that you made. One need not compare their vocations with others. I told my friend that this is where God is calling me, God may not be calling you to the same vocation. My friend asked me if I was terrified if God was going to call me to another Vocation, and I told my friend, I am not scared or terrified of that. I am more terrified of not following God's Will than following God where He wants me to be.

I did tell my friend that God will give them the grace needed to meet the Vocation that God is calling my friend too.

My friend told me that they are going through a crisis of faith, and I told them, then they probably do not need to be concerned about a vocation at this time, they need to be concerned with strengthening their faith and what not. I advised my friend to have frequent recourse to the Sacraments and to get in touch with a priest and get some spiritual direction. I feel that is the best that I could have advised my friend.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.