"Baiting" Catholics

I find it so sad when a person comes to this forum, seeking answers and keeps getting bashed. I know we are all human, but when I start to write uncharitable posts, I take time off. The humble Christian should always assume the “tone” is honest and seeking. Even if the one posting is not honest and is “baiting”, there is a huge unseen and unheard from audience that is reading. And they see questions that they may have posted, honest questions they have one their heart, and see a person being ripped to shreds.

One can be honest, direct, but not fall into accussations. One can “know” that the person one talks to is a nasty person who is not being honest, but still respond charitably OR choose NOT to respond.

We Catholics here on this forum are sometimes the only Catholics people have ever “talked” to. Do we want people to leave here knowing we have reflected Christ’s love, or leave with a bad feeling, and have many years before they listen to the leading of the Holy Spirit and seek out the truth again?

This is NOT a criticism of those who have a more abrupt style. We all hear things in different ways. Some need the abrupt words others need them wrapped in pretty fabric. God’s glory is seen through everyone.

But I do think there is a general, tired feeling on this board lately of, “How many times do I have to refute these lies?” It is coming out by personal attacks on new posters who are just asking questions. Do some honest people come from sites with questions about the church that are gross distorted lies? Of course. But that does not neccessarily mean they came here just wishing to spout these lies. I know sometimes when I search for answers online, if I type in certain key phrases, I get absolutely no Catholic sites. We should thank God that they actually made it to a place where the truth can be told.

God uses us to plant seeds. Rarely, will we see the seed grow into a huge fruit tree. Patience my friends. Patience and Perseverence.

Your Catholic sister in Christ,
Maria

Agreed! :thumbsup: Preach on sister! :thumbsup:

Ditto

I was guilty one time. There is a fine line some non-Catholics walk when they ask a question. Some of them are just ignorant and ask a question in such a way that tthe question seems to be a “put down” of our faith. Some actually do attack.

I can appreciate MariaG’s post. But in the same breath I would say beware of the obvious. I was bashed unmercefully on a Protestant site last Summer. They said things about John Paul II and me that would burn your ears. We don’t have to burn ears, but tell the truth about your faith.:wink:

I heartily agree. I sometimes get frustrated w/ folks who don’t seem to want honest answers, but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be kind in my replies. That’s one reason I tend to post references to the tract section of this website, because there are better answers than I can readily articulate there. I also have to remeber that I once left the church for over 30 years & only now do I understand much of what i was missing.

Deo Gratias!

Michael M.I.

posted by Exporter

We don’t have to burn ears, but tell the truth about your faith.http://forum.catholic.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

I agree. And not everyone has a soft style. Some are much more blunt than I choose to be. I even think, to some extent, “ear burning” can have it’s place. The truth is not always easy to state, but we should do no less.

However, several threads here and over in apologetics are not telling the truth, but just using nasty sarcasm and personal attacks. Whether or not someone is a “troll” or not, should not be our business. Our business is to present the truth, argue for the truth, and even die for the truth. But it should always be done with Christian love. (In other words, no name calling or personal attacks!) St. Stephen, I think, sets a very good example, even unto death.

[quote=MariaG]I agree. And not everyone has a soft style. Some are much more blunt than I choose to be. I even think, to some extent, “ear burning” can have it’s place. The truth is not always easy to state, but we should do no less.

However, several threads here and over in apologetics are not telling the truth, but just using nasty sarcasm and personal attacks. Whether or not someone is a “troll” or not, should not be our business. Our business is to present the truth, argue for the truth, and even die for the truth. But it should always be done with Christian love. (In other words, no name calling or personal attacks!) St. Stephen, I think, sets a very good example, even unto death.
[/quote]

I agree. Casually dismissing others as trolls instead of just presenting to them what we affirm as the truth sometimes divert us from the true purpose of this board, to present the truth in all its naked glory.

Gerry :slight_smile:

I agree.

Sadly I have to admit that lately I have been getting a little short with some of the protestants on this board. I read some of the threads and it seems like they are just attacking.

We should also be willing to answer the questions as many times as we need because it should be something enjoyable to teach the faith.

ad infinitum, et super

I must confess, I have been uncharitable at times (I even referred to one anti-catholic fundamentalist poster as a “poster child for invincible ignorance”).

However, it seems many who post on these forums aren’t asking “Why do Catholics do this?” but saying “Catholics do this and are wrong!” Many of them are hit-and-run posters who don’t even stick around to defend their charges, or if they do, oftentimes they A) simply pile up scripture quotes that “prove” their position, B) cut ‘n’ paste from anti-catholic websites, or C) change the subject and attack another Catholic teaching.

Still, there are many people reading these boards, and we never know what seeds we may plant, so we must remember to be charitable no matter what.

It seems more often than not, I am saying things that I regret. But I have had the displeasure of seeing some of my special stupid preserved on the boards for so long… it never goes away! These threads contain constant reminders of my stupid.

And now, I am going to look back at this message and regret having phrased “the stupid things I say” as just “my stupid.”

Oh well…

[quote=StubbleSpark]It seems more often than not, I am saying things that I regret. But I have had the displeasure of seeing some of my special stupid preserved on the boards for so long… it never goes away! These threads contain constant reminders of my stupid.

And now, I am going to look back at this message and regret having phrased “the stupid things I say” as just “my stupid.”

Oh well…
[/quote]

It is a learning experience for all of us. Nobody’s perfect, but we can always strive to be better.

Gerry :slight_smile:

I am so pleased to hear these statements from a catholic point of view. I posted a site the other day about the catholics being so defensive every time I ask a question. I hope that in my asking that I have not offended any of you. If I did, I’d like to make a deal…

I’ll forgive you for becoming offended if you’ll forgive me for offending.:slight_smile:

2 Tim 2:23-26 :thumbsup:

In Christ,
Nancy :slight_smile:

I have been prone to respond negatively and at times ugly. I apologize for that. I try to phrase my comments truthfully, humbly and with a good heart, but it does not happen all the time.

Christ loves you and if He finds you worthy of love, then I too must find the will to love you and respond with love.

Peace…

[quote=MariaG]I find it so sad when a person comes to this forum, seeking answers and keeps getting bashed. I know we are all human, but when I start to write uncharitable posts, I take time off. The humble Christian should always assume the “tone” is honest and seeking. Even if the one posting is not honest and is “baiting”, there is a huge unseen and unheard from audience that is reading. And they see questions that they may have posted, honest questions they have one their heart, and see a person being ripped to shreds.

One can be honest, direct, but not fall into accussations. One can “know” that the person one talks to is a nasty person who is not being honest, but still respond charitably OR choose NOT to respond.

We Catholics here on this forum are sometimes the only Catholics people have ever “talked” to. Do we want people to leave here knowing we have reflected Christ’s love, or leave with a bad feeling, and have many years before they listen to the leading of the Holy Spirit and seek out the truth again?

This is NOT a criticism of those who have a more abrupt style. We all hear things in different ways. Some need the abrupt words others need them wrapped in pretty fabric. God’s glory is seen through everyone.

But I do think there is a general, tired feeling on this board lately of, “How many times do I have to refute these lies?” It is coming out by personal attacks on new posters who are just asking questions. Do some honest people come from sites with questions about the church that are gross distorted lies? Of course. But that does not neccessarily mean they came here just wishing to spout these lies. I know sometimes when I search for answers online, if I type in certain key phrases, I get absolutely no Catholic sites. We should thank God that they actually made it to a place where the truth can be told.

God uses us to plant seeds. Rarely, will we see the seed grow into a huge fruit tree. Patience my friends. Patience and Perseverence.

Your Catholic sister in Christ,
Maria
[/quote]

I don’t see it much myself :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.