Bald eagles across the United States are dying from lead poisoning

1 Like

In other news Human babies across the United States are being killed everyday by abortion.

4 Likes

Yes, that is other news and not pertinent to the OP.

7 Likes

I think this is about using lead shot to hunt birds, not lead bullets (slugs?) to hunt deer.

1 Like

So there are hunters shooting but not eating their kill?

1 Like

Just pointing out the hypocrisy of msm.

2 Likes

Have you ever hunted? Have you ever been in a large wooded area? Do you even know what hunters do?

3 Likes

My dad hunted. If you shoot an animal, it should be consumed. Not left as carrion.

1 Like

Unfortunately, sometimes the animal is not recovered despite the hunters best efforts to do so.

3 Likes

I guess smaller animals like birds and rabbits?

Not larger ones like deer or elk.

I believe the problem is that eagles eat rabbits and small game that have lead shot in them from a non lethal shot. The lead then gets into the eagles system, poisoning them. It’s actually a problem of all carrion eating birds. High lead in their system winds up with weak egg shells, low sperm count or non viable chicks. I’ve never met a hunter that would shoot at an eagle. They love seeing them every bit as much as I do.

I am happy to report that the eagle populations in Colorado seem to be increasing! :+1:

6 Likes

I know guys who have been unable to recover deer, and not due to lack of trying.

Yes, but it’s fairly rare when you combine all the required elements

• using a shotgun instead of a deer rifle
  • carrion bird later swallowing the very large slug

I totally see how this happens hunting birds with shot though. Far more birds are injured and get away after being hit by shot. Plus the carrion can readily eat the shot as they are eating the casualty.

There’s really no better metaphor for America than a bunch of idiots with guns killing a national symbol by being too stubborn or cheap to not use lead ammunition.

It’s been illegal to hunt with lead shot for 20 yrs

Maybe this story is more PR than fact, at least the source

2 Likes

Lead shot isn’t the only source environmental lead, lead bullets are as well. Ryan Zinke’s first official act as Secretary of the Interior was rolling back rules banning lead bullets in wildlife refuges.

some places rifles are illegal to hunt deer with, like my state of NJ. Muzzleloaders are legal and as close to a rifle you can get for deer here. Lots of shot gun hunters here.

The lead poisoning is indirect. The bald eagles eat the remains of animals shot by lead bullets. Or so it was explained to me by a local ornithologist. Hunters are being encouraged to use copper bullets instead. But yes, it would be best if the targeted game was not left as carrion.

Also consider that animals aren’t always shot as game. Foxes and wolves in my area are shot by farmers, and I’ve seen dead sea lions with bullet holes in them on the West coast.

1 Like

Found this useful.

Fact Sheet: Bald Eagles and Lead Poisoning
Iowa Department of Natural Resources. A PDF document.

Lead remains a major killer of the birds in spite of significant changes to reduce the use of lead in shot and the environment (leaded gas, paint, etc)

The good news is the birds are thriving due to conservation efforts

For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen as the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perch’d on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him. With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping and Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country, tho’ exactly fit for that Order of Knights which the French call Chevaliers d’Industrie . I am on this account not displeas’d that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For in Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America. Eagles have been found in all Countries, but the Turkey was peculiar to ours, the first of the Species seen in Europe being brought to France by the Jesuits from Canada, and serv’d up at the Wedding Table of Charles the ninth. He is besides, tho’ a little vain and silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on.

4 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.