Ballet, is it wrong?

I’m not sure if this is the correct forum…?

I am interested in becoming a ballet dancer, but I do not know if it is wrong or not. I was reading some of this page: newadvent.org/fathers/34073.htm and dancing doesn’t seem like such a good thing. But isn’t dancing like Herodias’s daughter did a lot different than ballet?

Also, some ballets are sexual, would it be wrong to dance them if it is symbolic, not overt? There are ballets like Agon which appears to be about sex but does it have to be danced that way? If I ever became a dancer I would want to dance Robbin’s The Afternoon of a Faun because I love the Debussy music, but I always hear about this ballet being erotic. I don’t really see why it has to be that way.

I try to talk myself out of trying to become a dancer, but no matter how awful I try to make ballet seem, I still want to be a dancer. I tell myself that ballet is dumb and what is so great about dancing around and posing and wearing tutus and costumes? But I still feel like I should be a ballet dancer! I love music and complimenting the music with movement. Would it be possible that God is calling me to be a dancer?

I can’t seem to find much information about Catholicism and ballet. The only ballet dancer that I know of being Catholic is Suzanne Farrell. If anyone could give me any information on Catholicism and ballet, I would really appreciate it.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=62948 is and AAP which somewhat touches on your question.

I personally don’t see anything wrong with ballet.

As a former dancer, dancing is a beautiful expression. You seem to be focusing on the more modern ballets. What about the classics? Swan Lake of course comes to mind. Remember, King David danced before God.

I especially like George Balanchine’s ballets and the New York City Ballet. I don’t really like how the classics are danced today. I prefer how the classics were in the past, with dancers like Maya Plisetskaya, Ekaterina Maximova, etc… I think that dancers of today are more suited to neoclassical ballets. Of course, I make exceptions, my favorite dancer of today is Alessandra Ferri. I like her Romeo and Juliet. I also would like to see Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty (but not necessarily danced by Ferri).

Carefull with Balanchine technique, its actualy bad. He got Ballet out there in the American Public, but he is the reason there are so many dancers that think they have to be 20 lbs. He loved the Death Warmed over look

If you can go Vagonova…

Much more expressive and powerful…

Chicceti (sp) is OK, but it is very airy if you ask me… Nothing realy wrong wiht it, but it depends on what you want. If you Like Adagios, this is the way to go, If you like Grand Allegros and Petite Allegros, Vagonova is the way. Vogonova Also requires more muscular strength and control IMHO…

There are some vagonova style teachers that teach the entire class on Relive’ Does a number on your calf muscles, but they become bricks real quick…

Also…

Dont know Gender, But if your male… Doesnt Automaticly make you Gay. Terrible Sterotype that i wish didnt exist. Actually met my wife trhough dance…

With Respect to the Church

Ballet is an Artform… It is how you use it that makes it good or bad. I love the classics like Giselle, Swan Lake, etc, hate the newer ones like Firebird.

Modern Dance has its doors wide open. You can go from very traditionalist, to very “expresive” very quickly.

Hope this helps

Balanchine did like his dancers thin, but he was also concerned if they were too thin. He wasn’t looking for skeletons. Even so, he probably is part of the reason that dancers today are so obsessed with being thin. Me, I’m not too worried about my weight, because I am naturally thin.

I think I like Vaganova best, not too keen about all the releves though :slight_smile:

I’m female, but I know what you mean about the stereotypes in dance in regard to men… people seem to always assume that if he dances, he must be gay. It’s not always true and it’s unfair. For example, Balanchine wasn’t gay. Quite the opposite reallly…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.