Baltimore Catechism

I was raised with the RCC and in the Catholic schools. I still have my pre-Vatican II Baltimore Catechism. As you can probably tell, I have been away from the RCC for some time. Is the BC still good for me to read? I think things have changed quite a bit and I have asked other questions here, just want to know what is right.

Of course. My Spiritual Director, who was not a traditionalist or even very sympathetic to traditionalists, said that I should use it.

Hang on to the book many prefer the older editions

I also recommend the Baltimore Catechism. It teaches the faith very clearly and in a way that is easy to understand. I have the dark blue version that also includes Bible verses that confirm each point.

My kids use it for their catechism class ( 4th and 2nd grade)

excellent resource. I wish I had it growing up.

My copy is dog-earred and such… as long as I know that it teaches the same things as it did fifty years ago. I thought that things had/have changed.

The liberals claim that things change, but doctrine cannot change.

I seem to recall there being some differance with regards to salvation outside the church.

That hasnt changed. There is a dogma in place there.

I’m going to go against the grain in this thread and recommend you look at the newer Catechism of the Catholic Church, or the smaller Compendium. Don’t toss out your BC, but do read it in conjunction with the newer Catechism.

Since you’ve been away for a while, stick with the Baltimore Catechism and get reaquainted with the Church’s teachings, as this Catechism is very clear. I’m not saying the CCC contains heresy or anything like that, but if you’re unfamiliar with the doctrines, discipline, and Catholic piety, it can be very misleading.

It is not true things have changed. Many have wanted people to believe that. You will quickly see the BC and the CCC are not opposed. The Church has no authority to change what Christ handed down. The truth is the truth and will always be.

There is a book from thje 1950s called The Faith Explained by Fr. Leo Trese, an Opus Dei priest, who based his book on the Baltimore Catechism. He explains the faith in a direct and simple manner, using excellent analogies. Perfect for anyone teaching themselves the faith. If you can try to get the first edition, as the later, post-Vatican II, editions changed the chapters on the Mass, although the rest of Fr. Trese’s work is still perfectly intact. You can follow along with your Baltimore Catechism.

Another good catechism is that of St. Pius X- Catechism of St. Pius X

It explains Salvation outside the Church quite well:

27 **Q: Can one be saved outside the Catholic, Apostolic and Roman Church? **

A: No, no one can be saved outside the Catholic, Apostolic Roman Church, just as no one could be saved from the flood outside the Ark of Noah, which was a figure of the Church

**29 Q: But if a man through no fault of his own is outside the Church, can he be saved? **

A: If he is outside the Church through no fault of his, that is, if he is in good faith, and if he has received Baptism, or at least has the implicit desire of Baptism; and if, moreover, he sincerely seeks the truth and does God’s will as best he can such a man is indeed separated from the body of the Church, but is united to the soul of the Church and consequently is on the way of salvation

By any chance --would you (or anyone) know where the above version can be ordered from—if it is available.

Baronius Press

Some things have changed. Cremation used to be a mortal sin and subject to excommunication

When Canon Law was promulgated in 1917, it summarized the previous condemnation of cremation in the following three canons:
Canon 1203: “The bodies of the faithful must be buried, and cremation is reprobated. If anyone has in any manner ordered his body to be cremated, it shall be unlawful to execute his wish.”
Canon 1240, 5° says that “Persons who have given orders for the cremation of their bodies are deprived of ecclesiastical burial, unless they have before death given some signs of repentance.”

Canon 2339 “Persons who, in violation of the prohibition of Canon 1240, dare to order or force the ecclesiastical burial (of those who are to be deprived of it) incur excommunication ipso facto; and persons who of their own accord give ecclesiastical burial to the above mentioned, incur an interdict from entering a church.”

This is the new teaching of the Church

Canon 1176 §3. The Church earnestly recommends that the pious custom of burying the bodies of the deceased be observed; nevertheless, the Church does not prohibit cremation unless it was chosen for reasons contrary to Christian doctrine
2301 Autopsies can be morally permitted for legal inquests or scientific research. The free gift of organs after death is legitimate and can be meritorious.
The Church permits cremation, provided that it does not demonstrate a denial of faith in the resurrection of the body.93

Non-Catholics can, under certain circumstances receive Holy Communion. The receiving of any sacrament of the Church has always been forbidden
The 1917 Code of Canon Law forbids this sacrilegious practice:
“It is forbidden to administer the Sacraments of the Church to heretics or schismatics, even though they err in good faith and ask for them, unless they have first renounced their errors and been reconciled with the Church.”

This is the current teaching
§4. If the danger of death is present or if, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or conference of bishops, some other grave necessity urges it, Catholic ministers administer these same sacraments licitly also to other Christians not having full communion with the Catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who seek such on their own accord, provided that they manifest Catholic faith in respect to these sacraments and are properly disposed.

In 1998 President Bill Clinton was given communion by a Catholic priest in Africa and at the funeral of Pope John Paul Protestant Roger Schultz waas given communion by Cardinal Ratzinger.

In the 1917 Code of Canon Law (Canon 1258) Catholics are forbidden to participate actively in the worship of non-Catholics (communicatio in sacris):
“It is unlawful for the faithful to assist in any active manner, or to take part in the sacred services of non-Catholics.”
Canon 2316 “A person who of his own accord and knowingly helps in any manner to propagate heresy, or who communicates in sacred rites (in divinis) with heretics in violation of the prohibition of Canon 1258, incurs suspicion of heresy.”

Catholic priests and bishops and laity now participate in Protestant services.

Nothings changed as far as what we believe and hold as true in the Church. So the Baltimore Catechism is just fine to use.

What is changed is we have stressed opening up the Church to share it more with other people. This has been hijacked by some hippy priests and nuns to water down Catholicism which is a misrepresentation of what Vatican II is about.
(that is what we argue about as some people see Vatican II as a way to just be nice to everyone without stressing submission to truth) This has resulted in almost 2 generations of Catholics who don’t know why they are Catholic.

We should be sharing the truth of Christ with others and proclaiming it, not just keeping it for ourselves. We are supposed to be in a more evangelistic mentality these days, and it is starting to happen.

All the old books are just fine to use, nothing has changed at all about our belief and they can be reproduced and shared with others. This is the new focus, going out and sharing the love of Jesus with everyone.

In Christ
Scylla

Thank you.

The Church only grows organically. It does not reverse truth.

Nothings changed in our beliefs, this is the big misunderstanding of Vatican II promoted by those who want to change the faith’s beliefs.

In this example provided above it was considered a denial of faith to cremate and still is when it is done out of a denial of faith. In both instances it is denying God and evil.

As an opening up of the faith there are people who cremate out of financial necessity or other reasons and not out of a denial of faith. As this is more common it is permitted in line with the non-changing truth of the Church.

In the same way we are now allowed to go to other services of Protestants in order to understand them and better share the truth of Christ with them. Before it was an explicit denial of faith, now as more Protestants don’t even know they are Protestants we need to go out and even share the truth of the Catholic Church with them.

As time passes conditions change and we need to change some of our allowed practices to better present the faith. This doesn’t mean the faith changes a bit, just the practicality of presenting it.

As far as Bill Clinton, and Shultz, plenty of Priests\Bishops can give communion to the wrong people and even make mistakes. Shultz might have professed the Catholic faith privately to receive, it is between him, God and the person giving communion. If you read carefully the faith hasn’t changed, it is still wrong to give communion to someone denying it.

God Bless
Scylla

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.