Baltimore pastor speaks his mind in homily on same-sex marriage

ncronline.org/news/faith-parish/baltimore-pastor-speaks-his-mind-homily-same-sex-marriage

BALTIMORE In Baltimore’s St. Vincent de Paul church, Fr. Richard T. Lawrence read a nuanced letter from Baltimore Archbishop William E. Lori at all the weekend’s Masses. It concluded: “Each one of us – as Catholics and faithful citizens – must show up on election day and do our part by voting against Question 6,” the Civil Marriage Protection Act…

:thumbsup:

:eek:

Voris has called for this poor priest’s head on a platter. I think we should consider that the priest may do a lot of good. He is apparently admired greatly by his flock. Let’s give the priest the benefit of the doubt, but I hope Lori investigates this incident thoroughly. I will say that it is downright dangerous if a charismatic leader is found to be leading people astray.

I can really respect Fr. Lawrence’s position. I also hope that he is not repremanded for this. He specifically stated what was his opinion and expressed his respect the teachings of a church he has vowed to uphold as a priest; even if he might support makeing changes in the future.

I don’t think his position is that uncommon. His courage maybe, though.

Both Fr.Lawrence & Abp.Lori have said their peace on this matter;we do recognize that. However, I hope that Father understands what the Church believes & preaches about **homosexual unions **& what marriage really means. It is obvious that His Excellency does. We must keep in mind that marriage must be reinforced–not redefined. Abp.Lori also sees what good example really is & that the Church must be right when the world is wrong;we must act accordingly.

Disgusting.

We all should pray for this priest’s soul. I don’t even want to think about what sort of punishments are awaiting him at the passing of this life for the evil that he is propogating from the pulpit inside the house of God.

And just to let everybody know, the appropriate response from a faithful Catholic to this sort of news is the feeling of absolute revulsion (accompanied by a feeling of pity for the soul of this priest). Nobody here should be offering light praise or being luke-warm towards this priest’s actions. The magisterium of the Catholic Church is infallible, and anybody who plants seeds of doubt towards its teachings is doing the work of the evil one.

You are correct, theologcial error and rejection of the Truth of God’s teaching is, unfortunatly not uncommon.

As far as courage to reject what God, through His Church, teaches as True, is also rather common too. Every demon of Hell has that particular courage.

I think this is a sad article. Why would a priest say that he has different views than the Church of which he is a part? It just doesn’t make any sense to me. Based on the information in the article, I could see how some parishioners could leave Church feeling as though there were nothing wrong with gay marriage. I hope that is not the case.

This is what the homosexualists want!
I hope that Archbishop Lori would do the appropriate action on this!

One can be sympathetic to the view of this parish priest, rather eloquently stated, and the standing ovation that ensued simply because we are all intrinsically disordered just as the homosexual tendency is intrinsically disordered. Nevertheless, one, in the final analysis, has to understand that Catholic Church says emphatically NO to any legitimization of homosexual unions - regardless of label.

CONSIDERATIONS REGARDING PROPOSALS TO GIVE LEGAL RECOGNITION TO UNIONS BETWEEN HOMOSEXUAL PERSONS

… Those who would move from tolerance to the legitimization of specific rights for cohabiting homosexual persons need to be reminded that the approval or legalization of evil is something far different from the toleration of evil.

In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. One must refrain from any kind of formal cooperation in the enactment or application of such gravely unjust laws and, as far as possible, from material cooperation on the level of their application. In this area, everyone can exercise the right to conscientious objection.

He is leading his flock astray! God, help us all.

To those who try to create some peace between Catholic teaching and the prevailing social currents by seeking to support civil same sex marriage or same sex unions while at the same time affirming the Church’s moral teaching on marriage, I would strongly urge you, in spite of your good intentions, to really ponder the implications of supporting a civil institutionalization of same sex marriages. This isn’t just about granting the same legal benefits to same sex couples that we do to heterosexual couples, this will have an affect on other aspects of life. Our public schools will become increasingly intolerant of religious conviction that goes against homosexual relationships, our kids will be instructed on the “bigotry” and “hate” of our Church and other religions because we stand up for our sexual ethics, and this indoctrination will be paid for at our expense with our tax dollars, talk about grim irony. The public school systems already do this with what sexual education is permitted now, teaching kids that it is virtuous to use contraception, and things of this sort.

Institutionalizing same sex relationships into legal marriages or civil unions paves the way for a complete marginalization of our Christian morals on human sexuality. The elements on the left that are pushing this agenda want to equate opposition to homosexual acts to racism, seeking to make opposition to homosexual acts just as marginal, fringe, venomous, and out of bounds as racism is seen today. They want to push our teachings on human sexuality into the realm of KKK material when it comes to the court of public opinion. We as Catholics, in unity with our Jewish, Muslim, and non-Catholic Christian brothers and sisters need to make our stand here, show resiliency, show that we will not budge, we will not be pushed to the margins, show that we don’t act out of hate, but rather we act out of love, a love that is not divorced from the truth, but a love that is in accordance with truth, and sometimes this form of love hurts, it’s tough love, but it is better to show tough love, than a superficial affection that praises and admires what is evil.

I will pray for this pastor, and his congregation, they are in desperate need of prayers.

Of course it will be the case, though…said by a charismatic priest in defiance of his bishop to the poorly catechized. Not a stretch to see how they will use his comments as justification to support that which is hostile to truth. This priest is entitled to his own opinions, but not to state them publicly during a Mass! Another disturbing comment from the article, which imo, encourages dissent:

Turning to decisions at Vatican II (1962-65), Lawrence said an eventual change in church teaching was possible…

May God have mercy!

Turning to decisions at Vatican II (1962-65), Lawrence said an eventual change in church teaching was possible…

Is it possible for God to break His own law through the medium of His Church?

I think not. It’s called the Rock God Cannot Lift - that is, his own laws.

Your thumbs up leads me to believe that you missed what it says in the article. The quoted portion of the article in the OP makes it sound like the priest only read the letter from the bishop. But in the article, it says that after reading the letter that the priest contradicted it and told everyone he was in favor of calling gays married. The source is the National “Catholic” Reporter, so it’s not a credible source. But if this really did happen then it’s a horrendous scandal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.