Bank of England warns Johnson over Brexit plan

Puts me to wonder, then, what the standards are in Britain. It’s true there are films purporting to show terrible, “typical” American poultry farms, but I think I can say without fear of being wrong, that such farms are extremely rare if they exist at all. The fact that they’re distributed by PETA pretty much tells one that they’re bogus.

I have personally been in the houses of the big integrators on a number of occasions, and in their plants. The houses are well-ventilated with gigantic exhaust fans taking dust out of the air. In the houses, they take up the whole floor with every flock and replace it with fresh absorbant material. In between, they thoroughly disinfect the houses. Unless one raised each chicken separately and on a tile floor washed daily, it’s difficult for me to understand the complaint. Chickens are an inherently dirty animal, though, and it’s difficult to keep them totally clean. One wonders why the EU does NOT require a final disinfectant rinse.

In the plants, everything is done mechanically down to the point that the bird is eviscerated, beheaded, de-feathered, and with feet removed. Basically it’s a whole chicken like you would buy in the store. It is then sprayed with a mild chlorine solution, mostly in the interior cavities, then washed again in fresh water. From there it goes to the various processes of preparation.

But perhaps you or someone can tell me more specifically why there is objection. Otherwise, I’m put to wonder whether this is just an EU method of keeping cheaper American food products out. I’ll never forget learning, for example, that American companies couldn’t sell pet food into the EU because it wasn’t “human consumable” the way American companies prepared it. A friend of mine devised a way to take it through the final USDA inspection (all it needed) without the process being unduly disrupted. Now his company can sell into the EU, at least until the EU finds a new way to keep the cheaper American product out.

I’m afraid you’re right. And it will make it difficult for American security.

Back to poultry briefly. I just looked at the EU broiler standards, and while I can’t testify to every single detail, I don’t see how they’re any different from what American growers do. In fact, the requirements for American growers seem higher to me, or at least more detailed.

Just one small thing, then I’ll go on. American broiler houses have to be “bird-proof”. They have to be designed and maintained in such a way that no bird can ever get in. There are a lot of avian diseases, including some that can affect humans. I don’t see where the EU requires that.

My godfather raised chickens in Bedford. We had a lot of fresh eggs when we visited him. In London we had fresh fish. Pork was pretty big too from what I remember.

My son lives in the country and we can get fresh eggs from him. But the truth is, I think the commercially raised ones are less hazardous from the standpoint of bacteria. But I guess one develops immunity over time.

Fresh ocean fish is not common in the Ozarks where I live, but lake and stream fish are. Pork, of course, is extremely easy to come by.

Never will I forget years ago a hillbilly wanted to raise hogs but didn’t have the money for the piglets or the feed. So I made a “share” deal with him. I bought the pigs and the mill feed. He raised them. One thing he did. He worked at a feed mill himself and at the end of work he would go behind the supermarkets and gather up the discarded fruit and vegetables and feed them to the pigs. Every night he would bring home a pickup load.

Best pork I ever had.

Animals are what they eat. Did we somehow think that would be different?

Anyway, I eat chicken here on a regular basis and I’m not sick let alone dead. Methinks in this case, the EU is more about protecting its farmers. Have to remember regulations are often a stand-in when tariffs are not popular. Does anyone have any idea just how tall that fence is around the French farmers’ EU markets?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.