Banned books??

Are these books banned by the Catholic Church??

1. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

2. Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling

3. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

4. The Giver by Lois Lowry

5. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

6. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

7. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

8. The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline Cooney

9. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

[quote="Paul_Infirdigno, post:1, topic:257542"]

[/quote]

No, there is no list of books banned by the Church.

Where did such a strange idea come from?

Okay, you got me hooked. Why would you list these books, some of which, like the Potter series, are "good vs. evil" in the tradition of C.S. Lewis and others?

Looks like somebody's sixth-grade reading list.

You want to talk banned books you should have listed "TinTin au Congo".

No. None of them are banned by the Church. The Church doesn't ban books anyway. Why are you asking? Are you wanting to know if the books are appropriate for kids?

1. The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline Cooney

2. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

[/quote]

Gosh! I hope not, as I have read most of them at least once, and some many times, and to my children as well.:)

Now I know a lot of Catholic schools aren't the greatest bastions of doctrinal correctness, but I read all of those books for English classes in a Catholic schools, and the ones I didn't have for class I got out of the library under my own desire.

There's no "list". And honestly, I can think of more horrendous books that belong on a "list". There have been occasional suggestions that some books aren't good for those with weak faith, ie. The DaVinci Code.

I recognize all of those are "frequently challenged book" (from here). I have no idea why the OP selected those out of the long list or how it got connected with the Catholic Church though. :shrug:

There used to be an Index of Forbidden Books. It was effectively abolished in 1966 by Pope Paul VI. Wiki has a link to the Index that was current in 1948. I scrolled down it (it is huge,) and most of the works seemed to be philosophic, theologic, scientific, or political tomes, not works of popular fiction. Also, the list seems to be in Italian.

The Wiki article indicates a couple of interesting things: Adolph Hitler's Mein Kampf was never on the Index, but for awhile, St. Faustina Kozlowska's writings were. I'm not sure how accurate Wikipedia is, since it can at least be theoretically edited by anyone at any time, but those notes struck me as pretty odd.

The Index listed books that were considered dangerous to faith and morals for Catholics to read. What did emerge, as the film industry grew, was the old Legion of Decency, which turned into the National Catholic Office of Motion Pictures. As I recall, they were the first to institute a rating system of movie content, and new releases frequently were mentioned in my diocese's monthly newspaper, along with the film's rating. One of the ratings was "C"--for "condemned," which loosely corresponds to the current "X" rating. The movie industry caught on to the idea and developed the current rating system from the NCOMP system and adopted it as their own policing system (as marginally effective as it is.)

I do recall that occasionally, a book that was particularly smutty or anti-faith would get reviewed briefly in the diocesan paper, and Catholics were warned not to read it. Being the 1970's at the time, I'm afraid that a lot of people took that as a review that a book was particularly enticing, and bought it anyways.

For what it's worth, #s 1, 5, 6, and 9 were on my parochial school's seventh grade summer reading list in the early seventies. And we were expected to write book reports over the summer on them, and hand in the book reports on the first day of school. Doing otherwise would have invited the wrath of Sister Mary Joan!

Also, for what it's worth, I was one of those Catholics who didn't resist, and read "DaVinci Code." I confessed it afterwards, and the priest said that wading through that over-hyped trashy sophomoric waste of paper was penance enough!

No such list exists. My elementary students read many of these books. Others were required reading for my own children in Catholic school. They are all good books. I would recommend them all!

8. The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline Cooney

9. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

[/quote]

Nope! None of these are banned. Actually, there is no banned book list. Read to your heart's content!

Lord of the flies is filled with Christian allegory! Why did it get on the list?
(I bolded the books on your list that I enjoyed)

Although the books mentioned in this thread are not banned it is not true that there is no list of banned books. Although the Index of Forbidden Books is formally abolished the Vatican made it clear that what was on it remains in effect so any forbidden books on that list are still forbidden.

Since the Index of Forbidden Books (which first came into effect in the 16th century) was officially abrogated in 1965, and since "The Giver" by Lois Lowry was written in 1993, that book at least could hardly have been 'banned'. There are others as well of course but that one struck my eye.

Since as well any bishop could give an individual permission to read ANY book on the 'forbidden list' for good cause (notably for study purposes at university), it's not as though the 'ban' was total.

The New Advent article on "censorship" is helpful. It explains the reason for the original ban--the protection of individuals in a just barely begun to be literate society from a *huge preponderance of books which directly denied the Catholic faith (i.e., "nonCatholic or Protestant bible texts, tracts, and teachings"). *

But as for the list given by the OP, I cannot find anything at all to indicate any of those books were ever part of the Index. . .

[quote="JHow, post:5, topic:257542"]
Looks like somebody's sixth-grade reading list.

[/quote]

It seems to have been posted on website for young people, apparently by a 13 year old. The tenth book is Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain.

the reason i selected these specific books was because it was on a website titled Catholic Church banned books, or something around those lines, thanks for your answers guys.
God Bless you

[quote="Paul_Infirdigno, post:16, topic:257542"]
the reason i selected these specific books was because it was on a website titled Catholic Church banned books, or something around those lines, thanks for your answers guys.
God Bless you

[/quote]

Yes, I read around and checked Google for some of these. Reading through these sites though they pretty much start off with the whole "banning books started with the Catholic Church" (that old WOB) BUT. . .but but but. . as they start listing actual BOOKS you'll see "banned in some U.S. cities", 'banned by the U.K', (of course, neither the U.S. nor the U.K. is "The Catholic Church!"), 'banned in some school districts, etc.

IOW, the books you listed were banned for one purpose or another by one group or another, but NOT by the Church. We'll leave it up to the individual reader as to whether starting out such web site 'Nooz" with "The Catholic Church bans books" and not making it perfectly CLEAR that the actual books listed were themselves NOT BANNED by the Church but by STATE OR LOCAL AUTHORITIES was simply an instance of sloppy journalism or not.

I noticed my son's 7-grade catholic school class is reading S.E. Hinton this year. Clearly didn't get the message on the ban.

Having read 7 out of the 9 books in school (and the Harry Potter Series had not be written yet) I can tell you which ones should be banned from the assigned reading lists for kids!

Just kidding.

The book I had the most problem with in school was Native Son. That book made me throw up. If a teacher ever assigns that book to my kid there are going to be some problems.

I think I have come on the website with the list that gave rise to the original question.

This is a list of books that have been banned at various times by institutions in general. It is not a list of Catholic banned books. It is a list of books that have been banned by governments, schools, regimes, local authorities, etc. As far as I can remember, there is nothing about Catholicism specifically on the website.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.