Banned books??

I’m glad you mentioned the Index. I thought my memory was making things up :smiley:

St. Faustina’s Diary was indeed forbidden for about 20 years–as was the Divine Mercy devotion–but this was due to inaccurate translations from the original Polish. The Lord did warn St. Faustina that this would happen, but that eventually, the Church would change her mind and approve. Of course, this did happen, St. JPII being a crucial instrument of its resurrection and ultimate acceptance.

I was surprised to read recently that the works of Desiderius Erasmus were placed on the Catholic Index of Banned Books in 1559 right along with those of Martin Luther, even though Erasmus was for a while the Church’s champion in trying to refute Luther.

One of the problems that Bible scholars once discovered was that Deuteronomy in the Old Testament mentions the death of Moses even though Moses was considered to be the author of Deuteronomy and the other four books in the Torah or Pentateuch. So how could he have written about his own death? So in the 16th century, Andreas Maes, a Flemish Catholic, wrote a book in which he suggested that perhaps editors had added some words or phrases later. His book was placed on the Catholic Index of Prohibited Books.

Soon after, the French Calvinist Isaac de la Peyrere said explicitly that he didn’t believe that Moses was the author of the first five books of the Bible. His book was banned and burned, and he was arrested and told that in order to be released, he would have to recant his views to the Pope.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.