Banned List

In another thread on the TC forum here one of the contributors mentioned that he would suggest a website (Fisheaters.com) to be put on the banned list. What is this list, and where is it? Why are certain websites placed on this list?

This may have been a joking reference to the old Index Librorum Prohibitorum, or the Index of Forbidden Books. These were books and writings a Catholic should avoid reading for risk to the Faith. It was promulgated by Pope Paul IV in 1559, and abolished by Pope Paul VI, I believe in 1966.

No, the poster was seriously saying he was going to ask/tell the moderators to put fisheaters.com on the ‘banned list’. Sounds like the mods have a list of banned websites, and I was wondering about the details. Does it mean you can’t link to it on this site or what?

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=335459

Reference the posts of tobinatorstark.

I wonder what a traditional Catholic would have against Fisheaters?

Good question. There’s nothing wrong and everything right with the site itself, and the forum is just like any other including CAF…Comments ranging from good and helpful to bad and trollish.

I don’t think anything is a risk to the faith if the faith is strong. There are some Catholics who will not allow the viewing of horror/supernatural, pagan, sexually-explicit, and violent movies with strong drug and homosexual references, and many more others…but I personally don’t see what’s the point. The Hebrews of old must have come face-to-face with all sorts of corruption and evil, but which didn’t neccessarily meant that they had to copy such

I had copies of Anton LaVey’s so-called Satanic books for years, but I threw them away because of the huge and annoying anger content due to his personal issues. I hate all that depression and hate material. When I read something, it must be something I can learn from, or be entertained with for pleasure’s sake

The devil is wily, and will exploit even the slightest crack in our souls if only we let him. This is why the Church considered it prudent to protect her flock from works which would endanger their faith - ESPECIALLY since the Index came about at a time when a lot more people could read than study the truths of the Faith in detail. This is how heretics of old and the atheists of today have always managed to string along the faithful after all - by exploiting their ignorance of the faith.

There are some Catholics who will not allow the viewing of horror/supernatural, pagan, sexually-explicit, and violent movies with strong drug and homosexual references, and many more others…but I personally don’t see what’s the point. The Hebrews of old must have come face-to-face with all sorts of corruption and evil, but which didn’t neccessarily meant that they had to copy such

On the contrary, the Hebrews of old were constantly turning away from God and adopting the wicked practices of the surrounding nations. This is why the Lord allowed them to be conquered, re-enslaved, and dispersed from the Holy Land.

I had copies of Anton LaVey’s so-called Satanic books for years, but I threw them away because of the huge and annoying anger content due to his personal issues. I hate all that depression and hate material. When I read something, it must be something I can learn from, or be entertained with for pleasure’s sake

I agree, and try to make informed decisions about what I read, watch or listen to as well. But I also think it’s important to consider the moral and spiritual value of our entertainment, or how the things we learn complement or contradict the things we know by Faith to be true.

I agree with you, however I believe that the Church should still be publishing the Index, if only to warn us the Church does not approve of them. I believe we should be free to make our choices, but I do think the wise counsel of the Church is necessary, especially in these times when it can be difficult to discern what is inappropriate and what is not. Everyone I think could use a little nudging to be reminded of what is appropriate. It is for our the good of our Faith.

Also some people seem to be banned. I was reading some comments in an older thread, and liked ones person’s comments particularly. I wanted to look for some more recent comments by this person, but saw that under the name it said “banned”. I assume that means banned from this site, but I don’t have any idea why.

Posters can be banned for breaking the site’s rules.
As for the original question — I have no idea whether other sites can be “banned” from this one, nor why someone would ask for Fisheaters to be banned.

I love your name. Are VERY brave? Do you have a long tail?

Well, CatholicCulture does not seem to like fisheaters.com

catholicculture.org/culture/reviews/view.cfm?recnum=1915&repos=2&subrepos=0&searchid=460638

Their review gives it a “red”.

However, I poked around their site and its forum for a bit. I did find some highly traditionalist viewpoints, but nothing directly sedevacantist. On the forum, sedevacantism is permitted, but attacks on the legitimacy of the Pope are not.

After poking around, I found some of the information helpful. I think that the CatholicCulture review may be a bit too strong against it. They gave it a “red” while I think I would give it a “yellow”. Those of you who know me on this forum know that while I favor traditional expressions of Catholic faith and devotion, you also know that I do accept the teachings of the Church and will conform my heart and conscience to the Church. I love the EF Mass but do not reject the OF Mass.

I do not think that CAF moderators should consider putting fisheaters.com on their “banned” site list. It is not like it is Stormfront.com or other such hate sites.

Okay, I have spent a little more time looking around and I have revised my opinion.

The site encourages sedevacantism, and, while they insist on the Pope being treated respectfully, they actively condemn what are clearly valid liturgical practices and Church teachings. I now agree with Catholic Culture’s assessment and withdraw my previous conclusion and state that if CAF moderators have a list of banned site and the decide to add this site to it I would not complain.

Wrong. Fisheaters isn’t a sedevacantist site and it is obvious that they don’t promote sedevacantism, or allow promotion of it.

From the Discussion Forum Rules, "Sedevacantists are welcome, but are not allowed to promote sedevacantism or post in such a way that invites debate about whether, in fact, the sede is vacante. "

From the What’s New section, “I am restricting the discussion forum to non-sedevacantist Catholics (and, as always, to any guest who respects such Catholics’ sensibilities, speaks of the Holy Father with respect, and obeys the rules of the forum). I’d wanted the forum to be “pan-trad” but am finding that initial premises are too far-reaching in discussions among sedes and non-sedes, and that non-sedes tend to be put on the defense too often, leading to too many conversations about those premises, and too few conversations about actually living the Faith. I was also discouraged by some slurs and little snide remarks against the Holy Father. Though these were kept, in accordance to the rules, in the forum made for “sede vs. non-sede” debate, I simply don’t want to provide a place, on my dime, for comments such as these that would flow naturally from sedevacantist premises. Respectful critism of papal actions is sometimes not only warranted, but necessary; disrespect, never giving the benefit of the doubt, and an apparent desire to find problems aren’t – but those who don’t believe Benedict XVI is the Pope at all have no motivation to afford him that much.”

I read that rule and that was one of the reasons I made my original post.

Then I actually started going through the forum and reading what is being posted there. That rule in not enforced. They also openly question the validity of the OF Mass the Second Vatican Council. The few who try to claim they are valid are gang-up on and shouted down.

After reading those types of posts and linked articles, I made the second post revising my opinion.

The site is not worthy of attention by those who wish to conform their hearts, minds and conscience to the authentic teaching of the Church.

I agree 100%. I had that impression a couple of years ago when I followed a link and ended up there. I went back there yesterday to see if anything had changed. Somehow, I ended up in “archives”. Disgusting, was my only assessment of what is allowed to be posted there. I did learn some things (not good things)about “independent” chaples, here in my own city.

If one is a Catholic, faithful to the Magesterium, you will find nothing of value in that forum.

mostholyfamilymonastery and popeinred are 2 that are banned and are sedevaticantist sites. I was the one who put in for the request for fisheaters.com to be banned. The site is good for some traditional resources, but claim to accept Vatican II with awful blasphemous open criticism of the council.

I agree with Catholic Culture.

Thank you!!!

thank you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.