Banner with a Red Cross

On many pictures depicting Jesus we see him holding a banner with a red cross on it. I was always wondering what it represents. I’m sure the authors are not trying to say that Jesus was English. :slight_smile: I guess it has has a lot to do with the Cross and perhaps with blood he shed for us but I think there is more to that than that.

Here are some example:

http://www.ilianrachov.com/ikons/images/the%20holy%20lamb%20of%20god%20with%20the%20seven%20rivers.tempera%20on%20wood.42%20x%2030cm.salesian’s%20church.turin.italy%202002.jpg

Thank you beforehand!

Pax Christi,
~G

Red is the color of blood and therefore is the liturgical color for the commemoration of martyred saints. Red is used as the liturgical color for Pentecost, since it is the color of fire.

In Christian symbolism, the lamb represents Jesus, “the Lamb of God” (Agnus Dei).

Standing with a banner, the lamb represents the risen Christ triumphant over death. Standing with a cross and a gash in its side, it symbolizes the passion of Christ.

Seated on a throne or a book, the lamb represents the judgment of Christ.

Because the lamb is humble, gentle, and innocent, lambs are often engraved on the tombstones of children.

religionfacts.com/christianity/symbols.htm

How about a book?

Signs and Symbols in Christian Art: With Illustrations from Paintings from the Renaissance

amazon.com/dp/0195014324/ref=nosim?tag=religionfacts-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=0195014324&creative=373489&camp=211189

Cool, so I wasn’t that far from the truth after all. Thank you for your answer.

By the way, this sounds like a really interesting book. I might try to get my hands on it.

This was really interesting. Thanks for the link and thanks for the book ref!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.