Baptised with the Holy Spirit

So
1 Corinthians 6:19
19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;

Does this mean that everyone has the Holy Spirit regardless of being baptised?

No you have to be baptised first

Thank you, but does that mean that this statement was adressed to only baptised people?
Yes I see they were the Church of God in Corinth, my bad.

Okay so I apologise to anyone who may have wasted time viewing this thread, however I’ve learned a vaulauable lesson…I must read the scriptures!

We receive the gift of the Holy Spirit at Baptism, this gift in fullness at Confirmation.

Thank you you’re very kind, and frankly I’m embarrassed. I don’t know how to close this thread but I’ve asked a mod and ad no reply yet.

Thanks again.

Why be embarrassed? We are one big family. Questions are good!

That’s a lovely idea and yes we are brothers and sisters in Christ , it’s just that at the beginning of 1 Corinthians in my Bible it states quite clearly that it was written by Paul to the Church of God at Corinth. If I’d read more I would have known that and not asked a silly question.

I suppose the question I’m really looking to answer is since we all have souls or a spirit because we are made in the image of God then why are people lost who are outside of the Catholic faith?

Well, that is a big question :slight_smile:

Here are a few items from the Catechism:

169 Salvation comes from God alone; but because we receive the life of faith through the Church, she is our mother: “We believe the Church as the mother of our new birth, and not in the Church as if she were the author of our salvation.” Because she is our mother, she is also our teacher in the faith.

I’d suggest you read the entire chapter on this topic, here is a bit:

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a9p3.htm

"Outside the Church there is no salvation"

[846] How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337

[848] "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

Thank you. I believe I saw something about this yesterday on another thread. I will look it up tomorrow because where I am it’s late now.

I have children grown children and I brought them up to question everything, I thought it was a good idea for them to be intelligent questioning people rather than accepting things blindly. They all turned out to be atheists! I myself had struggled with with the big religious questions all my life until I finally stopped thinking and went with my feeling, and I thank our Heavenly Father for that. But I’m concerned for my kids and others I know and it’s an awful thing to think that they won’t be there later, because they do have knowledge about Christ and they have rejected it.

I must go now but with the grace of God I’ll check in tomorrow. Thank you for your kindness.

No, the audience is the Church in Corinth, which assumes that they are the baptized body of believers.

A lot of us have grown children who have stopped practicing their faith. Just keep praying for them…there are many reverts!

There’s a difference between the norms of the church and what God may choose to do. The norm is that the holy spirit is recieved at baptism, but the book of acts (10:44-48) makes it crystal clear that it can happen the other way around:

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message.45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

So I guess I would say we only KNOW someone has recieved the Holy Spirit at baptism but the Holy Spirit is God too, He does what he wants.

I agree, I do pray that they will be shown how Gods hand is in their lives subtle and hidden in plain sight so to speak.

I should tell you Dorothy that I had an unusual experience last night whereby I became extremely emotional whilst beginning my prayers. It overtook me from nowhere and I wasn’t prepared for it at all. I still have my tinnitus but I also had an insight this morning which was about something which happened over sixty years ago when I was three! Can you believe it! But thinking about this occurrence I could see how it was my first experience of having uncharitable feelings towards another and as you can guess I’m not comfortable knowing that. However this is something I can now work on.

Thank you for your prayer yesterday most sincerely. And thanks be to God.

You are welcome for the prayers.

I too remember things from when I was very young. I vividly remember being two years old and still in the crib, standing up in it and crying loudly because in the evening, after my bedtime, my Mom was in the kitchen sitting around the table with her knitting friends. They were chatting, and I suppose I wanted attention and she came in a couple of times and said “shhhh - go to sleep now”, urging me to lay down, and I took it as a brush-off. That’s all I remember.

It seems to me that because we are fallen people we perceive things differently at different times in our lives. When we are that young we are not responsible for experiencing selfish feelings and acting on them.

We are on a journey here with our Lord. He is always teaching us things through our challenges, and loves us unconditionally.

The baptism of the Holy Spirit may be defined as that work whereby the Spirit of God places the believer into union with Christ and into union with other believers in the body of Christ at the moment of salvation.

I’d suggest a couple more things.

When you have time, read some of the articles over at www.strangenotions.com Read a couple articles, then, occasionally suggest an article from there to one of your kids “I read this and thought you might find it of interest”.

God loves our kids even more than we do. The Sacramental graces they received are still there, the tree is not dead in the winter, it simply is waiting for spring.

Another is a book called “Why We’re Catholic” by Trent Horn (he writes articles at Strange Notions).

A decade ago I heard Scott Hahn speak. He said that every parent, teacher, adult in the room may know apologetics well but we needed to begin learning about the new Atheism. Educating ourselves how to answer the hard questions from the kids and young adults in our lives. That plain ole “Because Genesis chapter this verse that says so” is not going to answer philosophical doubts.

He was so right!

Learn, be loving and engaged, don’t shut them down when they question. It is far better to say “that is a good question and I do not know how to answer it, but, let’s search it out together!”

HUGS

These are all great ideas thank you, when you say such things you are truly living the Gospel in my opinion.

I can’t wait to try it out on them!

You are so kind, thank you.

Discussing a favorite topic is never time wasted, my friend. :grinning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.