Baptism and receiving the Holy Spirit

If some one is baptized by a lay person does the baptized receive the Holy spirit? I ask this because I had a discussion with some one whom others normally regard as quite knowledgeable who said they did not, and used a section from scripture (paraphrased because they could not recall chapter and verse) to say that scripture says so.
They also stated that, if scripture did not agree with them then the scriptures are wrong! I called that statement blasphemous!

Yes.

They are confused because in the early Church (as happens in the Eastern Catholic Churches today – and when adults are baptized today in the West and East) – the Sacrament we call confirmation would happen often. But in Scripture there are those who are baptized by a deacon --who then need the Apostles to come and lay hands on them to receive the Holy Spirit (not that they did not when baptized but they were not confirmed -that is what such means).

(Also there is the case where some where baptized with John’s baptism of repentance (not a Christian baptism) and so where baptized later and confirmed.)

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a1.htm#VII

I think this is where the confusion lies. The passage she “quoted” was about Peter asking people if they had been baptized and they replied that they had received the baptism of John, and Peter baptized them.

She was trying to state that when a lay person baptizes we do so with the baptism of John and so the Holy spirit is not conferred.

Only if they instead baptize with the baptism of John – not Christian baptism.

Catechism: 1265 Baptism not only purifies from all sins, but also makes the neophyte “a new creature,” an adopted son of God, who has become a "partaker of the divine nature,"69 member of Christ and co-heir with him,70 and a temple of the Holy Spirit.

1284 In case of necessity, any person can baptize provided that he have the intention of doing that which the Church does and provided that he pours water on the candidate’s head while saying: “I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”

We profess in the Creed: “One baptism”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.