Baptism Books

Can anyone tell me of any in depth books that address baptism from a Roman Catholic point of view?

Right now I go to an evangelical Christian school and I am taking a J-term class on baptism. This baptism class is going from a prodestant point of view and I just feel that, as a Catholic, I need to do some in depth studying about baptism from a Catholic point of view. Any help that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
Nathan

Your best resource would be the Catechism of the Catholic Church which has a section on Baptism.

Thanks for your post.

I was actually looking for something that could tell me the history, defense, biblical verses, how the practices got started, and how the practise evolved into what we have today early church father’s quotes that Catholics see that are associated with baptism. I already know what the Catholic Church teaches and believes on baptism.

Like right now I have to read a book about all types of baptism, ways to baptize, what happens during baptism, water and spirit, and they have a bible verse that can back it all up.

I need a book like this that goes in depth from a Catholic point of view on baptism.

Peace,
Nathan

There is an entry on Baptism by Anthony Sherman ", The HarperCollins Encyclopedia of Catholicism, 1995, ISBN 0006279317, pages 133-138. In the bibliography he includes:

Beasley-Murray, G.R. Baptism in the New Testament. Grand Rapidss, MI: Eerdmans, 1962.

Searle, Mark. Christening: The Making of Christians. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 1980.

Yarnold, Edward. The Awe-inspiring Rites of Initation. Middlegreen, England: St Paul, 1971.

Of course there are also the liturgical books for Baptism of Children and the RCIA, found in The Rites Volume One, Liturgical Press, 1990, ISBN: 0-8146-6015-0.

The 1907 Catholic Encyclopedia on the internet may be helpful, at newadvent.org/cathen/02258b.htm .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.