Baptism:Can the laity baptize someone in an event of an emergency?

If so,what is the procedure and what exactly do we say?You never know when a foreign situation such as this may arise and catch you off guard.

Yes, a lay person can baptize in the case of emergency.
From the *Catechism of the Catholic Church:
*1256 The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon.57 In case of necessity, anyone, even a non-baptized person, with the required intention, can baptize58 , by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. The intention required is to will to do what the Church does when she baptizes. The Church finds the reason for this possibility in the universal saving will of God and the necessity of Baptism for salvation.59

1284 In case of necessity, any person can baptize provided that he have the intention of doing that which the Church does and provided that he pours water on the candidate’s head while saying: “I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”

Immersion is okey-dokey for emergency baptism also, of course. But if somebody's busy dying, probably you don't want to immerse them.

When I went to nursing school (many years ago when dirt was new) we learned how to baptize case of imminent death of a baby or even an adult who would ask to be baptized just before the moment of death and where there was little to no chance of a priest or minister being called to the bedside in time to baptize the person. When I was doing my L&D training, I did see a nurse baptize an infant who died minutes after it was born prematurely.

Yes:

"I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit", while immersing or pouring or sprinkling water three times.

The sacrament is efficacious by the very act of its being performed (ex opere operato), as long as the baptizer has at least a faint idea that he's initiating the baptized in to Christianity/the death of Christ/worship of the Triune God, and the baptized has at least a faint desire to receive Trinitarian baptism.

A Muslim could baptize a Hindu, in theory.

[quote="Khalid, post:5, topic:293019"]
Yes:

"I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit", while immersing or pouring or sprinkling water three times.

[/quote]

In the Latin Rite it is immersion or pouring only according to Canon 854.

Can 854: Baptism is to be conferred either by immersion or by pouring, in accordance with the provisions of the Bishops' Conference.

Water must flow over the skin of the head of the one to be baptized, while the one baptizing says I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. That is the critical part.

If possible, the water should be poured three times on the head, and the water should be cold. The baptism should be documented (perhaps a makeshift baptismal certificate), or even videotaped (the easiest way to prove validity).

Already answered, but yes. Jesus commands us all to baptize people in the name of the Father, Son, and Spirit. While for certain reasons it is better for a priest to do so it is completely valid if a person was laying in the middle of the pavement dying and you baptized them with water from a bottle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.