My daughter and son-in-law had a beautiful baby boy in June. Unfortunately, he was born with severe damage to his cortex, which affects his breathing, and he suffers non-stop seizures. Although the medications keep the seizures from manifesting physically, they are still occuring; his skull and brain are not growing and he's in constant danger of apnea.
My daughter plans on baptizing him in late September, after my other daughter has her baby, so they can have a joint baptism. When I asked her to have him baptized by the hospital chaplain when he was in intensive care, she was adamant that she wants to wait until September. The problem is, although he's now home, the poor baby is really not doing well and I'm very worried that he won't make it to the baptism. I don't think my daughter is thinking clearly about this, but she's very stubborn and if I push the issue, she'll just dig in her heels.
I'll be visiting them in three weeks (I live 8 hours away). Should I baptize him when I'm there? It would mean going against my daughter's wishes, but there's a soul at stake. What if I have the chance and don't take it and the baby dies without baptism? Should I do it anyway, since they are planning to raise him as a Catholic?