Baptism for forgiveness

Can one explain how forgiveness of sins is gained through baptism? Without faith isn’t it in vain? For instance, a young baby does not know sin (though we are born with original sin). At some stage in the spiritual life doesn’t one have to make a conscious decision for Christ?

Hi srfnolen,

The idea is that no innocent child would refuse God. The consent is implied.

Hope that helps!

If we can believe we are born with sin against God although “a young baby does not know sin” then we can believe God will forgive that sin although we have not made “a conscious decision for Christ.”

=srfnolen;11852421]Can one explain how forgiveness of sins is gained through baptism? Without faith isn’t it in vain? For instance, a young baby does not know sin (though we are born with original sin). At some stage in the spiritual life doesn’t one have to make a conscious decision for Christ?

I think John 3: 5 gives the most precise explanation from the Mouth of Jesus Himself:

Here from the Douay bible is verses 1- And there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night, and said to him: Rabbi, we know that thou art come a teacher from God; for no man can do these signs which thou dost, unless God be with him. Jesus answered, and said to him: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith to him: How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter a second time into his mother’ s womb, and be born again? *** Jesus answered: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God*.**

[5] Unless a man be born again: By these words our Saviour hath declared the necessity of baptism; and by the word water it is evident that the application of it is necessary with the words. Matt. 28. 19. Explanation by Douay bible

That which is born of the flesh, is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit, is spirit. Wonder not, that I said to thee, you must be born again. [8] The Spirit breatheth where he will; and thou hearest his voice, but thou knowest not whence he cometh, and whither he goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit."

Perhaps I can amplify this a bit for you.

To be “reborn” means to make NEW. A baby can’t sin until it reaches the age of reason [6-8]. In as much as all must be either perfect or “perfected” [Mt. 5:48] [purgatory’s task], in order to enter into the Beatific Vision ;God Presence], like ALL Seven Sacraments; Baptism is a GIFT form God to aid us in attaining the purpose for which we were Created [Isa 43: verses 7 & 21].

For babies it’s a guarantee of Heaven; for adults it’s a SECOND chance. As Baptism not ONLY removes ALL sins; BUT also the latent effect of all sins which too must be paid back to satisfy God’s sense of Justice. So were one to die after Baptism without having committed ANY additional sins; that Soul has been perfected and is ready for heaven

Only God could be this loving and care that much about our Souls. God;s desire to be in a personal relationship with us is FAR; FAR, greater than any mans desire to be in close relationship with God.:thumbsup:

God Bless you and WELCOME home dear friend:)

God can forgive all sins, even the one’s which we are not aware of having committed.

All are free to walk away from Christ at any moment. We are all required to choose Christ in every choice we make in the small moments of every day.

We are required to convert continuously. One of the vows of Benedictine monastics is ongoing conversion. They are vowed to convert continuously.

-Tim-

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a1.htm#VII

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a1.htm#IV

in the case of infant baptisms, the parent’s intention takes place of the infants who is not able have the intention of being baptized.

Despite merchandising hype about weddings to the contrary, your baptism day is the greatest day in your life.

The forgiveness of sins is not apparent in the pouring of water and verbalization of words, but it is essentially related to the repentance from sin, which is involved in Baptism, even if by proxy of the godparents.

In addition to the CCC, take a look at the Summa Theologica. I think you will find answers to most of your questions there.

Whether faith is required on the part of the one baptized?
newadvent.org/summa/4068.htm#article8

Whether children should be baptized?
newadvent.org/summa/4068.htm#article9

And browse through the articles on “The Effects of Baptism.”

newadvent.org/summa/4069.htm#article6

I got! That solved the disconnect. Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.