Baptism for the dead

Do Mormons still practice baptism for the dead,and why

[quote="Bill_Pick, post:1, topic:296281"]
Do morons still practice a baptism for the dead,,and why

[/quote]

Yes, they do. They believe that if one wasn't able to receive a Mormon baptism in life, they can be offered one in the afterlife, which the person can either choose to accept or reject.

[/quote]

Do you mean "mormons"?

[/quote]

[quote="marian_love, post:3, topic:296281"]
Do you mean "mormons"?

[/quote]

I hope he does. :shrug:

[/quote]

I sincerely hope that this was a typo. The word is Mormons. The other word is an insult.

[quote="marian_love, post:3, topic:296281"]
Do you mean "mormons"?

[/quote]

Bill,

I am going to have seek resolution to this same question. I am sincere in my efforts to honor your Catholic perspectives and hope you are sincere as well. If you might respond to my other thoughts on your posts that would enable me to know your heart better. Thank you.

They believe that this practice brings their ancestors into the Mormon Church. This is why the Mormons have greatly enriched our knowledge of genealogy. I have been to Salt Lake City and did quite abit of research on my own family.

Their research is open to everyone of any faith free and it is fascinating.

The why is easy. Because Jesus spoke of the necessity of baptism in John 3:5:
Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

And baptism for the dead is mentioned in 1 Corinthians 15:29:
Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf?

Check your spelling before you post.
:smiley:

Sorry I was trying to post with out my glasses and it was not a insult

All fair comments so far about our belief in baptism. So, just to add. This work of baptism for the dead along with other temple ordinances such as the endowment and sealings are required for any person, living or dead, who wishes to be exalted in the kingdom of Heaven. It is a vast work which will continue throughout the Millennium. In fact we believe it will be the great work of the Millennium to perform these ordinances for all those in the spirit world who may accept the gospel. We have so far mearly scratched the surface of what is required.

"Jesus Christ taught that baptism is essential to the salvation of all who have lived on earth (see John 3:5). Many people, however, have died without being baptized. Others were baptized without proper authority. Because God is merciful, He has prepared a way for all people to receive the blessings of baptism. By performing proxy baptisms in behalf of those who have died, Church members offer these blessings to deceased ancestors. . . Some people have misunderstood that when baptisms for the dead are performed, deceased persons are baptized into the Church against their will. This is not the case. Each individual has agency, or the right to choose. The validity of a baptism for the dead depends on the deceased person accepting it and choosing to accept and follow the Savior while residing in the spirit world. The names of deceased persons are not added to the membership records of the Church.lds.org/topics/baptisms-for-the-dead?lang=eng

Although it is supposed to be limited to direct ancestors, many mormons have gone on to baptize people they were not decended from.

Examples would be many Jewish holocaust victims, St. Damien, and several other well known individuals like Anne Frank, the founding fathers of the USA, Pres. Obama’s mother, etc.

St. Damien was even sealed/married to some woman. Which we know for certain, he was never married.

Unfortunately, when these things are done, records are kept, and it makes it “appear” as though someone was mormon when they really aren’t/weren’t.

If we fast forward a generation or two, our relatives will see this, and think…Grandpa was Mormon? It can be very misleading, and that is why the Jewish Federation has fought since 1995 to have the practice stopped. With very little success I might add.

All of this added together is why the Catholic church will not release baptismal records, etc. to them anymore.

The following letter from the First Presidency was mailed to priesthood leaders Feb. 29, 2012, with directions that it is to be read to members during sacrament meeting.

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

We would like to reiterate the policies first stated in 1995 concerning the submission of names for proxy temple ordinances:

Our preeminent obligation is to seek out and identify our own ancestors. Those whose names are submitted for proxy temple ordinances should be related to the submitter.

Without exception, Church members must not submit for proxy temple ordinances any names from unauthorized groups, such as celebrities and Jewish Holocaust victims. If members do so, they may forfeit their New FamilySearch privileges. Other corrective action may also be taken.

Members are encouraged to participate in FamilySearch indexing which is vital to family history and temple work.
deseretnews.com/article/765555937/Mormon-leaders-Members-must-not-submit-Holocaust-victims-for-proxy-baptism.html

[quote="jrtrent, post:15, topic:296281"]
The following letter from the First Presidency was mailed to priesthood leaders Feb. 29, 2012, with directions that it is to be read to members during sacrament meeting.

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

We would like to reiterate the policies first stated in 1995 concerning the submission of names for proxy temple ordinances:

Our preeminent obligation is to seek out and identify our own ancestors. Those whose names are submitted for proxy temple ordinances should be related to the submitter.

Without exception, Church members must not submit for proxy temple ordinances any names from unauthorized groups, such as celebrities and Jewish Holocaust victims. If members do so, they may forfeit their New FamilySearch privileges. Other corrective action may also be taken.

Members are encouraged to participate in FamilySearch indexing which is vital to family history and temple work.
deseretnews.com/article/765555937/Mormon-leaders-Members-must-not-submit-Holocaust-victims-for-proxy-baptism.html

[/quote]

It is a step in the right direction. However, it did take them 17 years to get to that point.

and the Truth?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.